Tell me your feeling who played game,are you satisfied with shenmue 3

Are there these small details, "useless" stuff that made the first two games amazing ? Like for ex all the "hidden" apartments where you could knock at the door, and sometimes get an answer...?

It's definately up there with the first 2, that's my feeling. Very well crafted and above all atmospheric and charming world, also most of the NPCs, some are just perfect, I really dig it and after a while you get that same familiar Shenmue feeling, still in Bailu though.

The one complaint that Ive heard several times is the stamina system and the economy. Its really hard to keep a lot of money and your health up, apparently. Just made it concrete ill be playin on easy lol

Let's nor forget--our passion for the series is not only what made this possible, but also was responsible for the HD collection receiving so much TLC post-launch.

I think it imperative that any issues that may arise on launch that could be fixed in a patch(red highlight, stamina adjustments, maybe the awkward fade to blacks) are asked politely if they can be adjusted.

The one complaint that Ive heard several times is the stamina system and the economy. Its really hard to keep a lot of money and your health up, apparently. Just made it concrete ill be playin on easy lol
i didn't play the game yet but from my experience with the demo and from what i keep hearing about everything in the game is affected by the difficulty i am quite happy about it.
i believe the game will be very balanced on HARD mode and it will require you to take full attention to everything and manage your resources right.... i like the sound of this.

Game feels like a genuine continuation of the first two games. What Suzuki and team have been able to create on limited budget in the size, detail and scope I think will impress most fans,

Even then I feel Bailu feels like a giant introduction and Niaowu and hopeful lay later areas will contain more substance when it comes to story.

I believe the game will be very balanced on Hard mode and it will require you to take full attention to everything and manage your resources right.

I’m playing on hard so I can attest it definitely requires you to train diligently to compete in fights. It’s also very important you raise your endurance meter so you don’t have to be constantly feeding your stomach which can be expensive if you plan on sprinting everywhere. That means figuring out not only what food gives you best XP return for costs but in case of Niaowu which store or stall also sells said items at best price too. My account is basically been saved by aggressive herb collecting and exchanging key sets of items at pawn shop for move scrolls. I haven’t found a legitimate way to successfully gamble, use that for prize exchange and than sell them for money.

I look forward to hearing other people’s strategies once more start playing.

Honestly I'm blown away so far. They've managed to make a true shenmue game on whatever shoestring budget came together in the end. More detailed reactions below (only very mild spoilers):

The rough edges:
- Yes facial animations + lipsync can be awkward, but much better than some of the early trailers
- Yes not all NPCs can be talked to unlike prev games (mostly in chobu though, im pretty sure everyone was voiced in bailu)
- Yes the fighting system might not satisfy the diehards amongst you, though personally it handles much better and is more fun than i was expecting. Im more of a story + atmosphere player so I really like the option of mapping a specific move to the right trigger
- Yes cutscene transitions and camera angles can be a tad awkward at times, but generally they're really well produced and feel on par with the original two games
- This is a really personal thing, but the game has some in-game references to the shenmue franchise that break the fourth wall a bit too much for my taste. Small details like the "Shenmue 3" logo is on Ryo's watch, you can buy clothes that say "Shenmue", Ryo's shoes say "S3" on them. Immersion is a big part of why I love the original two games, so Im not a huge fan of being reminded that I'm playing a game. None of this is a huge deal and i'm sure most players won't care.
- There is some reuse of music in the game, so not every single building/shop/location gets a totally bespoke tune like the previous two games. It's an acceptable compromise given the budget constraints and the overall soundtrack/atmosphere is still up to the high standards of the franchise
- This is a massive nitpick, but you can't close your notebook until it finishes it's opening animation. In shenmue 1 and 2, you could open your notebook and immediately close it with the B button if you just wanted to glance at something quickly. The whole interaction feels slower now that I have to wait for the book to let me close it and I find myself using it less as a result
- Exploring cabinets/drawers feels like it could be faster. You basically have to tap X once to focus on something, and then again to actually interact with it. IMO they could've made this work where you immediately interact with an item on first tap and it would feel much less cumbersome to explore if they had
- I dont think the supporting cast of characters has been anywhere near as fleshed out or memorable as shenmue 2 so far. The heart of the game is Ryo and Shenhua, so to some degree it makes sense. i'm also probably just over halfway done with the game so im still hoping this could change

The good stuff:
- So far the game has been incredibly stable without any gamebreaking bugs or crashes. I can't say enough what a relief this is given how buggy even major triple A titles can be these days. One less angle for press to crap on the game (though it does have it's performance slowdowns occasionally in terms of framerate drops on a standard ps4).
- The japanese dub is really great, i can't critique as a native speaker, but im digging the performances and the script is generally well written so far
- The scale has really exceeded my expectations. Bailu village has a nice variety of areas and chobu is feeling more and more like a respectable follow up to hong kong/kowloon. Easily bigger than dobuita
- The entire economy of gambling + arcades + tokesn + prizes + pawn shops + stores + jobs really works. There's such a variety of ways to make money that you can be pretty creative in how you decide to spend your time.
- Speaking of economy, there are a TON of items to buy in this game. You can sell them at pawn shops, but it's also fun to just collect stuff if you're into it
- I really love picking herbs AND you can make a lot of money off of selling sets. I didn't expect to enjoy this aspect of the game as much as I am, it's a beautiful motivator to explore nooks/crannies and more often than not, you're rewarded with some cool plant to pick
- The story doesn't feel rushed and is taking it's time to build from simple investigations to the bigger stakes at hand. feels really similar to how shenmue 1 built the story gradually from searching for a black car. It does make me worry about how much progress will be made by the end of the game given that shenmue 4 isn't a given, but im trying to just enjoy the ride
- Time/location jumping is available yet completely optional. I know some purists probably don't like this option existing at all, but i think they way it's integrated into the game is pretty nice. Available if you want it, easily ignored if not
- Almost every night you have a chance to talk to Shenhua with optional dialogue. I definitely encourage you to do so if you're a story player, because it really fleshes out both her character and their growing (platonic) relationship together

- I really love picking herbs AND you can make a lot of money off of selling sets. I didn't expect to enjoy this aspect of the game as much as I am, it's a beautiful motivator to explore nooks/crannies and more often than not, you're rewarded with some cool plant to pick

Awesome post, I concur with a lot of what you wrote. I’m going to make a detailed post with some issues and shortcomings I’ve experienced to date but wanted to keep it positive as largely that’s been my experience too.

So glad to see someone else completely addicted to herb collecting. Don’t get me started on Chobu Chans which also are equally as fun. Really encourages careful investigation and to be mindful of the environment. Plus it serves gameplay as the former as you said fetches very good money with larger sets.

I replayed Shenmue 1 and 2 right before this one (There is a full LP on Youtube I started watching and... sigh... couldn’t stop). Shenmue 3 is, going to take off the Shenmue goggles, definitely the best entry in the series. And I say that objectively after replaying the first two. Graphics, detail, plot, immersion, it basically takes the classic Shenmue formula and enhances it over and over again. On a honest scale of 1 to 10, Shenmue 3 is a solid 9/10. Yu-san just showed the world why he is considered a legend.

You can rest assured it’s a great game.

My only complaints are the slow start and the fighting system.

The fighting system is great in its idea as i love looking for scrolls, mastering the moves, and selecting 5 for the auto-command, but the execution of the fighting doesn’t do justice to the series.

But I can accept it, it’s a kickstarter game, and it’s a miracle it turned out this way, fighting system excluded.

Edit: I’m addicted to herb collecting aswell :) Like, whenever there is a new path i first go on the grass to check for herbs, and only after that i go to the proper path!

Combat seems to be the thing that will divide fans the most I imagine, how frequent is it though, was Suzuki correct in saying it has the most in the series.

Combat seems to be the thing that will divide fans the most I imagine, how frequent is it though, was Suzuki correct in saying it has the most in the series.

I would say there's a plethora of optional combat in terms of dojos you can spar/fight at (and eventually paid street fights). Actual plot-based combat (i.e. fighting street thugs or bosses) feels about as frequent as shenmue 2 so far.

I would say there's a plethora of optional combat in terms of dojos you can spar/fight at (and eventually paid street fights). Actual plot-based combat (i.e. fighting street thugs or bosses) feels about as frequent as shenmue 2 so far.
That sounds perfect for me then, I've always felt like my biggest issue with shenmue 2 and especially 1 was the lack of more optional fights just to goof off, like sure it made the few times you throw down stand out but I also felt like I could never grasp the combat pr experiment past just basic combos. While its unfortunate the combat seems less intuitive its still great that I will be able to goof off fighting.

Another question though, is the rpg elements actually tied to stats like attack damage or such, or is it pretty much just for health.

Back