Texture differences in I&II (updated with video)

Favourite title
Shenmue II
Been gathering stuff over the past two days to put this together.
This is only for Shenmue I so far and I'm pretty sure not definitive but there's already so much to see.

frm.jpg

-----< Shenmue I & II Texture Differences >------

Put it on my blog as it's quite the article with a lot of explanation and an even bigger load of pictures. Still will greatly appreciate the talk here as the whole comments section on the blog is deader than Iwao. Those changes are sometimes really interesting and go far beyond the expected removal of licensing so they should deliver enough for a nice discussion.

Also have a lot more stuff than initially featured in a video now!

Last edited:
I think I only noticed the Glenfiddich bottle for the first time in my last playthrough in 2015! I wonder if they actually paid for the license for that in the Dreamcast version.

I don't have an image to post but the picture of the dude with the crazy hair in all of the barbershops has also been updated to a more cartoonish image. I noticed that pretty much all images like that have been replaced. If I had to guess, they may have been modeled after actual people (or bought from a photographer or image site) so it was easier to just re-do them so that they wouldn't have to pay for a new license to use, I could be wrong though.

Added those to the blog. Thanks for the tip! Wasn't able to enter Liu's earlier, that's why it went by me.

Amazing post. While the preservationist in me hates these changes, they are all pretty insignificant and I'm sure were due to licensing and copyright reasons.

Regardless, it's still extremely interesting. Thanks so much for finding these. I'm excited for more!

I noticed the poster in the barber right away. For some reason the original guy's face always stuck in my head. Very odd!

Great stuff as always Blue.

Amazing attention to detail.

I wonder if some of those changes (the ones not related to product licensing) are them just pulling out different textures from other stages of development.

Just a small one I noticed last night. In Shenmue II, Zippos are now 'Made in USA' and Zuppos are now 'Made in HSK'.

They changed Sataro, it isn't a person with a Sega Saturn head anymore just a Sega Saturn. I haven't check Gear-O or Megadra Brother yet. Though these might have been changed in the old xbox release of S2.

They changed Sataro, it isn't a person with a Sega Saturn head anymore just a Sega Saturn. I haven't check Gear-O or Megadra Brother yet. Though these might have been changed in the old xbox release of S2.

The four console capsule toys were never present in Shenmue II at all.

Really? That it interesting. I had somewhat of a suspicion because I only recognized the Megadra tower in the greyed out collection screen. The others do look just like the shape of the system. Gotta get some all items hack going in the PC version I guess...

Great stuff, it is always interesting to think about why some of those changes were made.

The four console capsule toys were never present in Shenmue II at all.
Yeah just looked it up that kinda sucks. I thought it was just the case for the xbox version. Weird how you can bring light bulbs batteries but not these...

Some nice spots here Blue! I find the picture of Lidia Bennett in Heartbeats quite amusing, makes the owner seem like a creepy stalker who's making a little shrine for her :p
Looking forward to seeing more and what lies ahead in S2 (I've only just started 'Disc 3' of S1!)

They should had remake the trees instead, many of these seems so unnecessary.
The cassettes actually based on real life ones? Why remove the body of a console?
Why remove foreigners pictures in the game?

The dreamcast dosen't even have the swirl, just looks like a cake box.:cautious:
I can get some of the changes but others, you do have to wonder why like with SEGA related properties.:unsure:

They should had remake the trees instead, many of these seems so unnecessary.
The cassettes actually based on real life ones? Why remove the body of a console?
Why remove foreigners pictures in the game?

They don't have the copyright/licensing rights to the images anymore. That's the only reason they're changing anything, otherwise they're keeping the textures exactly the same. Why would they change the trees? This isn't a remake...

They don't have the copyright/licensing rights to the images anymore. That's the only reason they're changing anything, otherwise they're keeping the textures exactly the same. Why would they change the trees? This isn't a remake...
It's not a remake written for scratch with a new engine I know that
but Trees always looked quite aweful.
If a single modder is doing it they could had too.
Have a few people work on some textures.
Make Ryo look more decent as well.
Superior audio as well. Other remasters games did these.
I guess there Sega offered just a small budget through.

It's not a remake written for scratch with a new engine I know that
but Trees always looked quite aweful.
If a single modder is doing it they could had too.
Have a few people work on some textures.
Make Ryo look more decent as well.
Superior audio as well. Other remasters games did these.
I guess there Sega offered just a small budget through.
Fair enough, though I consider this to be much more of an HD port than an actual remaster.

Back