The End of Yu's 1994 China Journey & Creation of Virtua Fighter 2

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
Yu Suzuki's 1994 research trip to China inspired his creation of Virtua Fighter 2 later that same year - and it's clear to see how this also provided a rich base for his subsequent development of Shenmue.

"I feel like that trip gave me the power to overcome any difficulty. Breathing the air of China, feeling martial arts with my body, and encountering real wonders and real people naturally recharged my energy".

https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2021/06/the-end-of-yus-china-journey-creation.html

(This is the final translated part of the series of articles that were run in the Japanese Beep! magazine at the time).

image1642.png

image1681.jpg

image1668.png

Brilliant. I feel that it is pretty clear that Ms. Zhang became the inspiration for Xiuying, an incredibly deep and important character in the series. Thank you so much for translating. Every time I saw a new release in this series, I couldn't wait to read it.

Brilliant. I feel that it is pretty clear that Ms. Zhang became the inspiration for Xiuying, an incredibly deep and important character in the series. Thank you so much for translating. Every time I saw a new release in this series, I couldn't wait to read it.
Great call about Xiuying. In fact, there's an extra indication that this is likely the case: Xiuying's surname, Hong, uses the same written character (紅) as the one in Ms. Zhang's first name, Hong Yu (紅玉). I'll add a note into the article! This would also make for a fascinating question to ask Yu in an interview one day.

Finding scans of these articles online was like discovering hidden treasure. It's surprising they haven't since be republished in some kind of retro gaming book.

I think I have communicated with you before about this, but I gladly offer up scans of anything I have in my collection fi you are looking for material! Then, there is always Muecas updates and Weekly AM2s...

Thanks Nathan! If you find anything that looks particularly interesting for translating, let me know.

These could make a fun new series.
Do you know how to access all that? Muecas is pretty well known, but the Weekly AM2s are a bit harder to find.

Excellent read as always! Thanks for all the hard work @Switch

This series has been nothing but a pleasure to read and the hard work put into it is well appreciated.

Last edited:
Great call about Xiuying. In fact, there's an extra indication that this is likely the case: Xiuying's surname, Hong, uses the same written character (紅) as the one in Ms. Zhang's first name, Hong Yu (紅玉). I'll add a note into the article! This would also make for a fascinating question to ask Yu in an interview one day.
I asked him about this in 2016 and he'd completely forgotten! :p

This series has been nothing but a pleasure to read and the hard work put into it is well appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

I asked him about this in 2016 and he'd completely forgotten! :p
🙈 Ah well, it's great you asked it. Thinking about it, even at the time you asked him, it was already 22 years later!

Back