The inspiration for Akira

So I know that Ryo’s character was heavily influenced / inspired by Virtua Fighter’s Akira Yuki, but was wondering whether or not Yu has ever spoken about how he came up with the concept for Akira and whether it was inspired by any real life figures.

I’ve done a bit of digging, but can’t find anything at all about the creation of the character.

I don’t suppose anybody is able to point me in the right direction?

So I know that Ryo’s character was heavily influenced / inspired by Virtua Fighter’s Akira Yuki, but was wondering whether or not Yu has ever spoken about how he came up with the concept for Akira and whether it was inspired by any real life figures.

I’ve done a bit of digging, but can’t find anything at all about the creation of the character.

I don’t suppose anybody is able to point me in the right direction?

Sorry, messed up and I’m new so I’ve been struggling to embed the link, but if you type, “Yu Suzuki Bajiquan” into YouTube there’s a 5:13 min video on Wu Lianzhi and Yu’s martial arts adventures in China (unless you’ve already seen it of course).

Last edited:
Sorry, messed up and I’m new so I’ve been struggling to embed the link, but if you type, “Yu Suzuki Bajiquan” into YouTube there’s a 5:13 min video on Wu Lianzhi and Yu’s martial arts adventures in China (unless you’ve already seen it of course).
Thanks so much for this. I knew that Yu had visited Wu Lian Zhi with a view to him doing so mo-cap, but for some reason was under the impression that this trip took place after the first Virtua Fighter game which made me doubt that he was the true inspiration for the character.

Thanks so much for this. I knew that Yu had visited Wu Lian Zhi with a view to him doing so mo-cap, but for some reason was under the impression that this trip took place after the first Virtua Fighter game which made me doubt that he was the true inspiration for the character.

If I’m not mistaken, this segment is a clip from a larger Chinese documentary on Yu’s research/travails in China, which I’m pretty sure I’ve seen on YouTube but can’t seem to find right now. Perhaps more knowledgeable heads than mine can post the link, if it still exists.

If I’m not mistaken, this segment is a clip from a larger Chinese documentary on Yu’s research/travails in China, which I’m pretty sure I’ve seen on YouTube but can’t seem to find right now. Perhaps more knowledgeable heads than mine can post the link, if it still exists.
Yeah. I’d be interested in learning more if anybody has any additional information.

I read somewhere that the character was based on the titular character of a manga called Kenji. I’m not sure how reliable this information is, but looking at the source material there do seem to be some similarities.

Back