The Last Remnant Remastered

Henry Spencer

I'm not a monster, it's only a mask.
PSN
harryangel666
XBL
Magiking
I remember when Square-Enix announced a PS3 port that never happened, so it's nice they are true to their word, in a way. :p

This is a remaster anyway, they moved everything across to UE4. Always wanted to play this game (SaGa devs + FFXII/Ivalice devs).

Originally released in 2008, The Last Remnant captured the hearts and minds of gamers with its enthralling story, countless characters and intricate battle system. The Last Remnant Remastered features beautifully enhanced graphics enabled by Unreal Engine 4, allowing for a more immersive and captivating adventure than ever before.

The Last Remnant Remastered tells the story of a world filled with “Remnants” — ancient artefacts that grant mysterious power to their wielders, changing the world’s balance and leading to an era of countless frays between those who ruled, and those who obeyed. Within this war-torn fantasy world, players will follow the journey of a young man who is determined to uncover the truth.

Last edited:
Oh, shit... I was seriously just looking at this on Steam not too long ago, thinking I might like to finally play it. But when I looked for it more recently, it had been removed. Guess we know why, now.

I never played it, but from what I always heard about the 360 version it sounded like this is exactly the type of game that actually needs a remaster, since it was clearly a good game, but the technical problems were so massive that they held it back.
So yeah, definitely one I'll pick up if they bring it west.

I heard this was pulled from Steam a few weeks backs and it made me think something was coming. Great to see, I truly enjoyed this.

Cool, I remember playing this on 360/Steam but stopping around a quarter into it. It had an interesting battle system (revolving around the formations of a large party count) and visuals but I kinda lost interest with the rest of it (it didn't help that there were many interesting JRPGs out around that time).
There's not much I remember about the game tbh (outside of the battle-system and the main character saying "Alright, let's kick some A!" when engaging in battle.

My first impressions hearing about this is that it's pretty random to see this getting a remaster (and that they pulled the steam version off the store) as I can't remember the reception being so wild at the time for those who played it but I suppose this'll help PS4 players (who were either fans of the 360/steam game or missed out on the PS3/Wii) to play it.

Plus I believe the 360 version had some tech issues (that were remedied on the steam version) so this'll ensure the game's as good as it can be for consoles I suppose.

Cool to see that they are fans of this game, I might revisit (the versions I already own) to see where I left it off at.

On the subject of remasters of 360 games, if SquareEnix is doing this one, I kind of hope they'll also do Lost Odyssey at some point. Another one I never played, but I never hear anything but praise about. I could haul out the old 360 and just buy the original, but it'd be nice and convenient to get a PS4 version or something.

On the subject of remasters of 360 games, if SquareEnix is doing this one, I kind of hope they'll also do Lost Odyssey at some point. Another one I never played, but I never hear anything but praise about. I could haul out the old 360 and just buy the original, but it'd be nice and convenient to get a PS4 version or something.

Excellent game (and what I got into at the time) however: it isn't a Square Enix game, it's a Microsoft published game (like Blue Dragon). The most they've ever done was to make these games backwards compatible (and regarding LO: free at one point a couple of years ago as an Xmas gift to all xbl users). Running these games in XB1 drastically fixed the performance issues/loading Lost Odyssey had (as well as making the multidiscs thing less of a hassle).

However I'd just recommend digging out the 360 and installing the discs on the HDD as this helps loading times a ton. It likely won't come to any other platforms (aside from maybe W10 in the far distant future) as it's first party. But DEFINITELY worth your time and it still looks great! (+it's a dirt cheap game)

Ooooooh, shit, you're right. I totally forgot, it wasn't Square, but rather Hironobu Sakaguchi right around the time he'd left Square. That's where I got mixed up.
Yeah, maybe just playing the original will be the only way to go. I don't have a whole lot of drive to get another Microsoft console any time soon, so even if a remaster did pop up, I probably wouldn't have the means to play it (though PC might be another avenue...).

Ooooooh, shit, you're right. I totally forgot, it wasn't Square, but rather Hironobu Sakaguchi right around the time he'd left Square. That's where I got mixed up.
Yeah, maybe just playing the original will be the only way to go. I don't have a whole lot of drive to get another Microsoft console any time soon, so even if a remaster did pop up, I probably wouldn't have the means to play it (though PC might be another avenue...).

Yeah understandable, the 360 version is more then enough (since it's the sole version) I'd just recommend installing it to avoid the lengthy-ish loading when engaging in battle sequences.

I'm reminded of just how much I LOVE the music in the game too (seriously Nobuo Uematsu is a genius) I've been meaning to NewGame+ this game so i might actually revisit this at some point soon (I just don't want to get burned out on any JRPG's/games until Valkyria 4 hits hah) I've only ever booted this up occasionally since launch to read the novella chapters and with this game being 10+ years now (which is insaaaane! :/ ) now's the time.

Very interested especially considering they're tinkering with the Unreal 4 Engine too. I bought a 360 recently cheap to play some of the JRPG's like this but I'd happily welcome a PS4 version - just sorted of bummed that it's not being released physically, considering all the indie games that get physical releases these days you'd think it would be possible.

Also, Lost Odyssey on PS4 would be a Day one purchase! I Did try convince them with cover art :p:
LO.png

Back