The Official Gaming Music Topic

I have Icycal, Fort Fright and one other tune on my iPod that I listen to from time to time... a great soundtrack indeed.
Is "Fort Fright" this tune? I was between posting Cave (battle) and this one in my last post :cool:

Here's a pretty badass tune I came across on the youtubes for a canceled Genesis game called Time Trax. Really awesome guitar patches in here. Song composed by Tim Follin:

I've always had a sympathy for the music of Virtua Fighter 3(tb). Shenmue connections (esp. themes for folks) charm me.
To my mind, it had that right mix of SEGA arcade sound and permission for Dreamcast composers to experiment with a new sound system.
I've been back to listening as of late. That includes some of the seemingly silly vocal themes from VirtuaFighter 3 On The Vocal. (Any favorites here from VF3, fellow Dojo folk?)

Rowdy is my favourite VF theme; it has a typical, "Yu Suzuki game from the 90s," sound and the guitar hits hard, the opening is wonderful and it gets your bloody pumping!

Popful Mail on Sega CD has a pretty nifty soundtrack. There are some cool proggy riffs in a lot of tunes:

Guh! I love Popful Mail, and the soundtrack is a big part of that. Couldn't get enough of the shop theme. It's too joyous a jingle.

I really love the volcano section BGM, too.

The Falcom Sound Team back in the days of Yoshio Kiya (Dragon Slayer 1-8, PC-88 Popful Mail, Brandish 1 & 2), and Masaya Hashimoto (Ys 1-3, Soul Blazer) were putting in work.

Also, I kind of always find it interesting that Popful Mail on the Japanese Mega CD released the same day as Monster World IV on the Mega Drive. They both have a very similar feel to me, somehow.

Is "Fort Fright" this tune? I was between posting Cave (battle) and this one in my last post :cool:

Nope, that's not Fort Fright :(

It's actually the tune that Rydeen posted as, "Volcanic Zone." Perhaps the tag screwed up and gave me the location instead of the proper name?

I can't quite remember where I got the track, whether it was from a site or someone's collection (like on FFshrine forums).

Guh! I love Popful Mail, and the soundtrack is a big part of that. Couldn't get enough of the shop theme. It's too joyous a jingle.

Don't you mean, "Gaw?" ;)

And yesterday, switched to my VG music on my iPod (I go through, "Genre)" and some bangers, including:

I've never been a fan of female singers (literally, less than 5% of my 2500+ songs on my iPod are sung by a female lol), but Gregoroff does a great job. What really makes this tune stand out though, is the phenomenal instrumentation; the bass is just insanely-good throughout and the horns (another musical piece I'm not a fan of at all) are out of a professional jazz/blues showcase or something, just excellent.

Jun Senoue wrote the music, so no surprise of its brilliance.

Then on the way home, driving up the 400 (the main highway going north from Toronto), it began to pour rain for a good 5 minutes (I'm talking bad-enough that you could barely see vehicles in front of you) and everyone slowed down to a crawl. Having superb tires and all-time AWD, this song came on and before I knew it, I was going 130+ km/h and weaving in and out of traffic (I NEVER speed, but got so caught up in not hitting anyone, this song got me going):

I prefer Jungle Strike's theme as an all-around musical piece, but this one will get your bloody pumping.

Last edited:
Been playing a lot of Grasshopper games lately in preparation for No More Heroes 3. This band Red Orca seems to have a lot of involvement in it, maybe not the whole OST or even directly, but it seems like at least this one is partially in one of the trailers:

It's different from my normal thing but as usual the NMH series has a ton of variety in music and keeps introducing me to new things. I remember I had initially been uncertain of the music in Travis Strikes Again after a lot of the rock stuff from the first two games (especially 2) but it very much has a ton of its own charm.

Just a few favorites...

But since I finished each of these three games well ahead of schedule, I thought I might also play through Silver Case, Flower Sun and Rain, and 25th Ward again, though now I'm not sure I'll actually have enough time. Even so, also great soundtracks:

Unfortunately that FSR intro music is only in the PS2 version. DS one isn't bad but just not as good imo.

I might even replay some of the others that I didn't like as much just because, but they may wait quite a bit after I finish NMH3. Shadows of the Damned, Lollipop Chainsaw, Killer is Dead....sadly may never finish Let it Die despite loving the general idea, just hate that it's designed as a F2P game. Kinda similar to my feelings on Nier Reincarnation right now...

EDIT: man, how could I forget Killer7...but that one may also be a bit too late before the big one comes out.

Last couple of days, the GTA2 radio stations have come on, on my iPod. Anyone play the game and remember them?

(don't like this one, don't have it on my iPod)
(my favourite :D)
(don't like this one either, so it didn't make it)

Last edited:
Sadly I don't have a lot of memories of gta2 but I did listen to the radio in San Andreas a lot.
that and Saints Row 2 I feel have my favorite radios and I appreciated how the talk shows and news updates would change throughout the game. I don't recall many of the others since them doing that.

Was hoping you posted the Lost Judgement OST :LOL:

A few more goodies came on my iPod in the last few days:

The whole soundtrack is phenomenal, easily some of Yuzo Koshiro's finest work. I'm probably going to upload the entire soundtrack (per song) to YT, as nobody who's uploaded it, has track names that are even close to what they represent, aside from, "BGM1," etc. (there are no official track names, but at least put the character's name for the corresponding level).

Dan talked about the soundtrack in the general music thread, but Medley came on yesterday and while not encompassing every tune in the game, it shows Naganuma's versatility in, well, Funky Fresh Beats lol. Wonderful stuff.

This is a bop and a half from Phantasy Star II. It was a bit underutilized in the game though, IMO

Here's a Genesis/MD "demake" of the SOR4 main theme, played and recorded on real hardware!

Mystery's not bad; my favourites from PSII though are the two, "understated," tunes, Secret Ways and Silent Zone (understated, in that they aren't loud and fanfare-like, but more subdued in their melody).

The artwork for the Secret Ways video, is funny, as you have a PSIV enemy, with PSII characters lol

1. I hate when people who upload these videos, use incorrect track names (just a pet peeve). It's, "Black Cat Moon," not Sarah's name.

2. I'm sorry, but I'm not getting the connection with Aerosmith; are the songs supposed to sound alike? 'cause the beat and melody isn't alike at all

I discovered this only recently and it immediately became one of my favourite songs ever even though I never played Panzer Saga. This track "Wandering" gives a strong Shenmue vibe to me, FREE 1 memories...

I'd put Panzer Dragoon Saga's soundtrack in the top 5 OST of all time. Even if you haven't played the game, it's still extraordinary based entirely on its own merits.

No argument from me, but I might put it in top 10 (it is definitely a contender for top 5.

And I just have loved that shot of Azel since the moment I first saw it; for my Sega leg tattoo, that was the first thing I got done :D

Maybe I should try Panzer Dragoon 🤔
Hard to pick a definite top 10 but I’ll try…but no particular order here

Chrono Trigger
Undertale
Nier but dunno if I like the original or remake more
Shadow of the Colossus or Last Guardian maybe
Okami
God Hand
Was gonna say Killer7 but I think No More Heroes 3 has taken its spot as favorite GHM soundtrack for just being so out there
Mother 3
Super Mario Galaxy
tough last choice but maybe Metal Gear Solid 2

There are some oddities like Drakengard where it’s an acquired taste but I don’t feel right putting up there. Still an honorable mention. Speaking of, maybe a lot of Sonic Adventure 2 and Unleashed as well. Kirby has a lot but can’t think of a specific one I like best. Forgot Breath of the Wild, I really like a ton of its subdued stuff and it makes the more melodic tunes stand out.

Last edited:
Back