The Pretentious Sophistry of Super Eyepatch Wolf and His Bad Take on Shenmue III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really liked his video and he had many good points that he raised. I think There wasn't anything that I didn't agree about. It made sense.

It really seems like there are two camps. Those who think III was boring, a failure, a bad game.. but at the same time those who saw it for what it was and enjoyed it all or parts of the game.

Is Shenmue III the most underrated game of 2019? I think so!
But some people would probably say the opposite or that it was nothing special about it.

Making video games is one hell of a job. Whatever people think of III the creators did lots of work with the details that many often overlook. As a whole it has its flaws but I was always aware of this being a kickstarster game with a smaller team working on it. Maybe they could've prioritized some things more.. but when you're in the middle of the process it's very difficult to see the bigger picture, or to visualise the final results. There's probably lots of experiments in the process to see how things work. You really have to share a vision and explain every little detail. Sometimes very small things can take a lot of work but it must be done. Sometimes they may have encountered unexpected problems in the software programs that was used.

This was a new start for the series after all.

I always expected this to only be a stepping stone back to the ´real Shenmue´ of higher quality and story telling which I belive will be in IV.

I honestly believe Yu held back a little with the story in III to make it more expressive and also impressive looking in IV.
When I think about it. I think it was a good thing that the story didn't progress as much as people expected in III.

But that's just what I think.

Last edited:
"Yeah, I wish Shenmue 3 was never released. Shenmue is dead to me".

Yeah, I will never understand that.

'This particular thing does not agree with my eyes/ears, thus it must be purged from existence and nobody should like it!'

SEPW: "I think its time to move on" - inciting people to give up on something they like because you hated it is so beyond childish.

Thanks to SEPW, now I'm getting recommended these videos with the same kind of melodramatic title over and over.
YouTube's algorithms are a nightmare.

Haha that is hilarious.

Makes you think though. Can you imagine getting that stuff pumped into you every single day? You'll turn into a pessimistic little Chai. No wonder people on social media love drama so much. Its like a continuous loop

Not gonna say I should've done it, but I posted the rebuttal vid in the SEPW thread on Resetera and was savaged for even daring to promote a rebuttal video. Who'd dare try to criticize the infallible Super Eyepatch Wolf? (the same guy who got a million views for a video where he tears down a hard working team for making a game that disappointed him). The nerve, the audacity to think you should try to defend something you love, when a superior intellect and more beloved personality has already torn it down.

Thanks to SEPW, now I'm getting recommended these videos with the same kind of melodramatic title over and over.
This now reminds me that happiness is very much a mindset. With certain peoples mindsets it's almost impossible to make them happy or satisfied. Nothing is ´good enough´. Some are even addicted to complaining about, everything.

I almost daily remind myself to be grateful of what I have and not complaining about what I don't have.
Something as simple as having gratitude will make ones life so much easier, and happier.

Some people would complain about their favorite video game getting a score of 8 when they wanted it to be an 11 out of 10.
Like it's the end of the world. While others are grateful to have a bowl of rice every day.

Not gonna say I should've done it, but I posted the rebuttal vid in the SEPW thread on Resetera and was savaged for even daring to promote a rebuttal video. Who'd dare try to criticize the infallible Super Eyepatch Wolf? (the same guy who got a million views for a video where he tears down a hard working team for making a game that disappointed him). The nerve, the audacity to think you should try to defend something you love, when a superior intellect and more beloved personality has already torn it down.

Sums up the last part of my mini rant post perfectly. These people have no real interest in a balance perspective or the truth. It's a cover up for drama or to tear others down.

Good on you for posting it though mjq. Respect 👊

Great video and I really enjoyed his suggestion for improving the ending (having QTE’s for Ryo to try all of his strongest moves only or Lan Di to effortlessly bat them away). I’m glad someone could be bothered to take the time to make a video calling out SEPW on some of his BS. It’s just a shame that nowhere near as many people will watch it.

It's unfathomable that a remake of the first two games just came out after this video. I mean how can Tony Hawk and Activision live with themselves? they crushed this man's dreams and made his life worse!

He looks like he good do with a good nights sleep in all honesty. A shame that Tony Hawk and Activision took that away from him. 3 and half years after the game came out, but still.... 🥴

I saw that thread and the hypocrisy of them slagging off virtua bros for 'trading hate against him for clicks' when SEPW did exactly the same thing but with Shenmue makes me laugh. If the site wasn't so shit hot on news i'd delete the bookmark.

Maybe we should create a clickbait video that says 'Shenmue III made me cream a river of spunk and i haven't slept so soundly for 20 years 🥴 '

actually - maybe not :ROFLMAO: :unsure::coffee:
Nah, you're only allowed to make videos if you get a million hits and they're completely negative.

Nah, you're only allowed to make videos if you get a million hits and they're completely negative.

If you want to truly despair, type 'the last of us 2' into youtube, filter by last month, and prepare for just how child like the internet can be. Remember these are grown men and women that make these videos and it just makes my toes curl.

This was great. I learned a lot about Virtua Fighter as well, a series I've barely played, except for 3tb on DC.

The thing is, people were hating Shenmue 3 way before it was released. First, when it was announced as a Kickstarter, some people were like "Wat, I don't want a crowdfunded lowbudget Shenmue, I want a AAA Shenmue !" (like it was gonna happen...), then when Sony financed a part of the game (we know today that it wasn't much at all), people were like "Oh, so Sony is behind it, so they don't need a Kickstarter !", then when the first trailers came and facial animation weren't implemanted "the game looks so bad, it's gonna be the worst game of 2019 for sure. It's a scam !", then the EGS Exclusivity "Oh, Yu Suzuki doesn't care about fans, he is just doing this for the money".

We should have seen that those people would then completely trash talk the game...

If you want to truly despair, type 'the last of us 2' into youtube, filter by last month, and prepare for just how child like the internet can be. Remember these are grown men and women that make these videos and it just makes my toes curl.
You should stop by the cesspit of toxicity and childlike winging that is the Star Wars fandom some time.

Videos of fully grown adult men filming themselves entering kids toy shops to compare the numbers of men vs women action figures while muttering how X amount of Rose Tico figures proves Star Wars is dying.

"Dying", that is, provided you ignore reality and pretend that the award-winning Mandalorian series, Cassian Andor series, Obi-Wan Kenobi series, Leslye Headland's new series, The Bad Batch 3D animation, Kevin Feige's next film, and Taika Waititi's next film all aren't happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back