The PS4's Last Big Games

With the PS4's generation slowly drawing to a close, I was thinking about what games I am interested in are still going to come after Shenmue 3. The answer is "not a lot of them".

So these are some of the upcoming PS4 games after S3 that came to my mind.

1) Yakuza Remastered Collection
This will be my personal big swan song to the PS4. I already have my preorder down for February and since I never owned a PS3, playing Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 for the first time will be huge for me. This will probably be the last game on PS4 which I am really hyped for.

2) Life is Strange 2
I totally fell in love with the first game and also thought Before the Storm wasn't bad, but after being severely underwhelmed by the Captain Spirit demo last year, I decided to move LiS2 all the way down to the bottom of my gaming backlog. Having never been a fan of the episodic subscription model, I decided to wait for the physical version to come out and buy that at some point, when it's below 30 Euros at the local Saturn or Gamestop.

3)New Sakura Wars
This is the first Sakura Wars game to come westward in a long time and while it probably won't be a day 1 purchase for me, I'm really looking forward to it as one of the last new PS4 games I'll ever buy.

4) Streets of Rage 4
The BD art style (BD=French comic book) has been really off-putting so far, unfortunately and has kind of killed my hype for the game if I was gonna be hyped. But still, the all-star lineup of composers like Koshiro, Kawashima, Shimomura and Naganuma plus the fact that we haven't gotten any Streets of Rage in like 25 years is enough to sell me on this game.

5) Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel 4
While no Western release date has been set for the 4th entry in the series yet, the 3rd one is coming westward later this month and so I think the 4th one will likely make it to the West as well at some point down the road. Looking forward to it.

6) The Last of Us 2
While I thought TloU 1 was great, the ending felt kind of disappointing to me and the gameplay and characters never had me invested enough to be longing for a sequel. I can understand when people are hyped about the game but I'll pass on it.

7) Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Similar to TloU 2. I played the original game about 20 years back and thought it was very good, but I don't feel the need to play it again.

What are some of the last releases for the PS4 you are interested (or not) and why?

I'm shocked, no Ghost of Tsushima? It's suppose to, and very much seems to be the case, a combination of Shenmue(cultural detail wise), and Tenchi(gameplay), just with Samurai instead of Ninja, and we know it already nails the Tenchi gameplay.

It actually seems like It's going to be great, and this coming from someone who generally doesn't like Sony's first party games(except in the PS 1 days, they use to actually make good games).

What type of game is Tenchi? Never heard about it. Or do you mean Tenchu? In that case it is early to compare it with Ghost of Tsuhima. In Tenchu Stealth is essential to survial, if you you decide to fight against your foes directly are you dead.

Ghost of Tsushima does not look like Tenchu. it looks like the typical Sony esque open worldish Action game with crafting Elements where Stealth is an Option but it is not mandatory for survial.

But we have to wait and see how the game turn out. I like the Setting of it, but I do not like the Sony open world Action games These days. They all Play and feel the same. If you know one you know all of them.

The only game I am really interested in this gen is Shenmue 3.

I am also going to Play Sakura Wars, and Final Fantasy 7 but I am only slighl hyped.

FF7 has potential to be a future favourite of mine though. Ff7 orginal was my first FF but I was not impressed by it at all. I could not stand the childish character design and the cringy dialogues.Not sure if the german Translation is to blame or the Dialoges are written in horrible way in General.

I liked and like FF8 much better than 7.

But the lore of the FF7 world is quite intriguing und also very mature, but it is hard to see that in conjunction with These childish anime like charas.

Thanks to the new character design in the Remake I am going to give FF7 another shot. Maybe I am going to like it this time.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I kinda forgot about Ghosts of Tsushima. Well, I don't know what to think. Guess I'll check some reviews after it comes out. Does it have a release date yet?

Priority Tier~ My roundups(Mostly Sega Ips):

Persona5Royal
Shenmue3
Yakuza 7
Sakura wars 6
SOR4
--------------------------------
Mid tiers (Grabbing if I have spare money after budgeting for First tier)

Cyberpunk2077
FF7R
Ryza(A turnaround hit in JP so I wanna try it for myself)

--------------------------
Low Tiers Maybe never/or pickups(During sales/discounts)

GHOST OF TSUSHIMI(Discount)
LOU2(Discounts)
Deathstranding(Discounts)
Panzer remake only if it comes to ps4 then will be shuffle to Priority tier

And that's it for me during the last leg of PS4 lifespan.

What type of game is Tenchi? Never heard about it. Or do you mean Tenchu? In that case it is early to compare it with Ghost of Tsuhima. In Tenchu Stealth is essential to survial, if you you decide to fight against your foes directly are you dead.

Ghost of Tsushima does not look like Tenchu. it looks like the typical Sony esque open worldish Action game with crafting Elements where Stealth is an Option but it is not mandatory for survial.

But we have to wait and see how the game turn out. I like the Setting of it, but I do not like the Sony open world Action games These days. They all Play and feel the same. If you know one you know all of them.

The only game I am really interested in this gen is Shenmue 3.

I am also going to Play Sakura Wars, and Final Fantasy 7 but I am only slighl hyped.

FF7 has potential to be a future favourite of mine though. Ff7 orginal was my first FF but I was not impressed by it at all. I could not stand the childish character design and the cringy dialogues.Not sure if the german Translation is to blame or the Dialoges are written in horrible way in General.

I liked and like FF8 much better than 7.

But the lore of the FF7 world is quite intriguing und also very mature, but it is hard to see that in conjunction with These childish anime like charas.

Thanks to the new character design in the Remake I am going to give FF7 another shot. Maybe I am going to like it this time.

Woops yea I meant Tenchu.

Graphics perhaps yea, don't know why Sony is so against color lol, but go back to watch that E3 gameplay trailer. You see the movements, and everything is exactly like Tenchu.

I am utter loathing that fake FF 7 remake, I hope you guys realize It's going to be nothing like FF 7.

I'm already getting TLOU2, Ghost and Death Stranding on day 1. Sony makes games I like, seems like a dead easy choice there.
Other big games I'll be grabbing after Shenmue 3:

Yakuza/RGG7 - will most likely import and double dip on the English release day 1, as per usual. First mainline Yakuza game since 2016 and the start of a new beginning to boot. Looks amazing so far, another dead easy choice for purchasing.

Doom Eternal. Already preordered and kinda sad its got delayed, but I'll be there whenever it gets released.

Shovel Knight King of Cards - should be December unless another delay hits. SK is basically the best indie game ever for me, so this should be an amazing way to wave it goodbye as the devs finish developing the content for it. And like previous DLC, I assume it'll totally rock.

Zelda BOTW 2 - Nintendo games are safe bets, so this is a no brainer. Can't wait to get it whenever its released.

Street Fighter V next/final season - really need to jump back into this, but I've been loving SFV since its season 3 update, and can't wait to see who (cough... Oro) gets announced next.

Mega Man Zero/ZX collection - already played them all but the Capcom collector in me of course means this is a day 1 purchase. Plus MMZero 1-4 are basically the best MM games released (up there with the classic and early X1-4 games) so it'll be a treat to revisit them.

FFVII Remake - liking what I've seen so far, launching at a good time. Why not!

Also kinda tempted (but not sold on) Avengers. It could be good, it could also be terrible. Likewise the same can be said on Watchdogs Legion. So lets wait and see on those two.

Oh, and anything new Capcom announces. I'm down for it all, yeah even that DMC2 port.

@9dragons: Everybody, and I mean absolutely everybody who was in any way, shape or form involved in the German translation of FF 7 deserves a Lan Di roundhouse kick in the face, even today, more than 20 years later.

I was lucky however. A classmate of mine had owned FF 7 for a few years but had never played it. So he decided he wanted to start playing it. I was at his house at the time and we played it for a couple of hours and we were both shocked and weirded out by the incredible number of spelling and grammar mistakes in the game but also the downright stupid dialogues.

Luckily my copy of FF7 was a pirate copy of his so at least I didn't pay for the horrible German version. I ended up importing a US version of FF8 from Lan Kwei or Lik Sang ir whatever it was.

@Izumi: Never heard of this Ryza game but I'll definitely look into it. It seems to fall into the category of weird "Japanese RPGs" like Compile Heart games, which I love.

Last edited:
@Izumi: Never heard of this Ryza game but I'll definitely look into it. It seems to fall into the category of weird "Japanese RPGs" like Compile Heart games, which I love.

It's a return to proper JRPG form with good world building and likeable cast of chars + less grindy but fun gameplay loop. From what most people are saying about it, which pique my interest since I'm a sucker for good JRPG's.

@hyo_razuki The funny thing is that the German Version of FF8 is very good. Way better than FF7. The german FF8 Translation was done by a japanese guy wo knows German very well. He was a Editor of the German Video Games Magazine for many years before he hired at Squaresoft as a Translator.

With the PS4's generation slowly drawing to a close, I was thinking about what games I am interested in are still going to come after Shenmue 3. The answer is "not a lot of them".

So these are some of the upcoming PS4 games after S3 that came to my mind.

1) Yakuza Remastered Collection
This will be my personal big swan song to the PS4. I already have my preorder down for February and since I never owned a PS3, playing Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 for the first time will be huge for me. This will probably be the last game on PS4 which I am really hyped for.

2) Life is Strange 2
I totally fell in love with the first game and also thought Before the Storm wasn't bad, but after being severely underwhelmed by the Captain Spirit demo last year, I decided to move LiS2 all the way down to the bottom of my gaming backlog. Having never been a fan of the episodic subscription model, I decided to wait for the physical version to come out and buy that at some point, when it's below 30 Euros at the local Saturn or Gamestop.

3)New Sakura Wars
This is the first Sakura Wars game to come westward in a long time and while it probably won't be a day 1 purchase for me, I'm really looking forward to it as one of the last new PS4 games I'll ever buy.

4) Streets of Rage 4
The BD art style (BD=French comic book) has been really off-putting so far, unfortunately and has kind of killed my hype for the game if I was gonna be hyped. But still, the all-star lineup of composers like Koshiro, Kawashima, Shimomura and Naganuma plus the fact that we haven't gotten any Streets of Rage in like 25 years is enough to sell me on this game.

5) Legend of Heroes - Trails of Cold Steel 4
While no Western release date has been set for the 4th entry in the series yet, the 3rd one is coming westward later this month and so I think the 4th one will likely make it to the West as well at some point down the road. Looking forward to it.

6) The Last of Us 2
While I thought TloU 1 was great, the ending felt kind of disappointing to me and the gameplay and characters never had me invested enough to be longing for a sequel. I can understand when people are hyped about the game but I'll pass on it.

7) Final Fantasy 7 Remake
0and 7Similar to TloU 2. I played the original game about 20 years back and thought it was very good, but I don't feel the need to play it again.

What are some of the last releases for the PS4 you are interested (or not) and why?
you forgot Cyberpunk 2077. You also forgot p5R.

No, I consciously left out Persona 5 Royal, because it's only an update to an already released PS4 game afaik.

You're right about Cyberpunk though. I guess I kind of forgot about it because I'm not too big on the Blade Runneresque setting or science fiction things in general. But still, it's gonna make a huge splash.

Cyberpunk is a game Im waiting on. Its gonna be huge, but I get the feeling I should play it on next gen consoles somehow (I can't imagine a next gen patch/version won't exist) as it looks pretty ambitious graphically from what I've seen. Plus I just don't have enough time to play it right now.
And speaking of not enough time, that might be my stance on P5 Royal, that game sounds longer than the previous version, and I seriously doubt I'll have finished Yakuza 7 by the time its released!

Normally I wait until the mid gen refresh and only get the slim consoles. If there's BC--especially with PS2 or even PS3--I'll be trading in my PS4 for trade-in credit pretty soon. Not launch, but the next batch after kinks are ironed out.

Reactions: SCQ
I also wait about 1-2 years into a new console generation before upgrading.

But now that I know Shenmue's future is looking bright, I shall be picking up a PS5 first thing so my ass is fully prepared for when Shenmue IV drops.

Back