Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Shenmue III
PSN
Niaxi
Steam
Niaxi
My apologies if this has already been discussed since the release of Shenmue III, however, I could not see it anywhere. As the title suggests, this question is in regards to the purpose of the mirrors.

In Shenmue I, Master Chen tells Ryo that when the mirrors are paired together, they will allow for the resurection of Chi You; a mythical beast of Chinese legend. This beast is possibly the one depicted in the tattoo on Lan Di's arm, as seen at the start of the game. Master Chen also tells us that he heard this story from Zuh Yuanda. However, when we meet Zuh in Shenmue II, he tells us that the two mirrors, when paired together, will act as a map to the treasure of a Chinese dynasty (can't recall the name). Naturally, this is a very different account of the mirrors purpose, especially considering both came from the same source; Zuh. Now, come Shenmue III, we stick with the idea of there being some sort of treasure (belonging to the emperor and empress circa 1910). However, it is implied that the scroll found in the bell tower is the map to said treasure.

So we have 3 somewhat contradictory accounts of the mirrors, although two of them agree on them being linked to some sort of treasure. Naturally this poses some interesting questions. Is the term treasure a metaphor rather than a literal pile of gold (like Ren is hoping) and that the object in question will, as Master Chen suggests, allow for the resurection of Chi You? If so, why did Zuh ommit this detail when telling Ryo the story in Shenmue II, given that Master Chen's version originated from Zuh? If this is not the case and it really is just a pile of gold, then why did Zuh tell Master Chen something very different? Secondly, if the mirrors, like Zuh suggests are the map, why is there now a scroll that is supposed to be the map? Or is the elder in Bailu village misinformed? Or if they are not the map, what are they, the keys perhaps?

I hope the information I have given above is accurate, it has been a while since I played the remastered Shenmue I&II. If not, please feel free to correct me or add any details I've missed. Also, if anyone knows of an interview with Yu-san that specifically states that he removed the Chi You element during the development of Shenmue II, please feel free to inform me of it.

Yeah there are some inconsistencies but I wonder if any of that is due to poor translations?

I think that Chi You is more like a corrupt person with a ton of power. Maybe the reason this treasure is locked away ie because it gives people a responsibility so great that the average man becomes corrupt, becomes "Chi You". like maybe the treasure is not only gold but an item that when in the possession of an individual gives them the right to control a certain army or group of people? like maybe there are still followers of an ancient pact from the time of the emperor and they are waiting for their new leader. That leader will be whomever possesses this "treasure". In the Virtua Fighter RPG chapter concept cards it seems there is a small army in the distance and a large picture of REN is on top of them. He will be the one to get that treasure I think. He is not sticking around just to be a sidekick I believe.

Would make sense if Tentei (leader of the Chi You Men) is a fanatic who knows this and wants control over this "army". Would also be awesome if the Chi You Men are not the final threat but a corrupted Ren and his followers of Chi You are. The story would go from a tale of revenge to a tale of a character having to possibly kill a friend who has become mad with power. Hell maybe Iwao really did have to kill Zunming for this reason. He was entrusted with both mirrors after all. Maybe he eventually got to the "treasure" for a short time. would be sad as hell if Ryo's story echoes his fathers. Just some sloppy speculation on my part. Either way I think Shenmue 4 would finally be THE game to move the plot forward in a major way. So heres to hoping we get it.

Last edited:
Back