The Real Yokosuka That Shenmue Chose Not To Simulate [IGN Japan article translation]

Switch

Shenmue analysis at www.phantomriverstone.com
I've translated an article published by IGN Japan a couple of years back, in which local residents and shopkeepers of Yokosuka talk about Dobuita Street & the influence of the U.S. Naval Base, back in the year in which Shenmue was set: 1986.

"The Real Yokosuka That Shenmue Chose Not To Simulate" [IGN Japan article translation]

➡️ https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2021/05/the-real-yokosuka-that-shenmue-chose.html

image8_tebz.jpg

image15_amz4.jpg

Absolutely brilliant.

I have made it known that I was disappointed with Dobuita (Yokosuka on the whole though, was very nice; LOVE the boardwalk and Military ships), but I think I was just still in Shenmue-mode and didn't realise that the place evolved... but it is still VERY-Americanised and it was enough to turn me off.

I have made it known that I was disappointed with Dobuita (Yokosuka on the whole though, was very nice; LOVE the boardwalk and Military ships), but I think I was just still in Shenmue-mode and didn't realise that the place evolved... but it is still VERY-Americanised and it was enough to turn me off.
That's interesting to hear. Like you say, it's probably a lot to do with what expectations you build up beforehand. I hadn't really expected it to be very close, but actually felt a lot of Shenmue vibes along Dobuita Street - in particular parts like the location of the bus stop, the corner shop that is reminiscent of Hirata-san's tobacco shop, the jacket shops, a food truck similar to Tom's etc. Maybe a second visit will feel different if you have the chance.

Yes, the harbor is awesome & feels just like in the game!

That's interesting to hear. Like you say, it's probably a lot to do with what expectations you build up beforehand. I hadn't really expected it to be very close, but actually felt a lot of Shenmue vibes along Dobuita Street - in particular parts like the location of the bus stop, the corner shop that is reminiscent of Hirata-san's tobacco shop, the jacket shops, a food truck similar to Tom's etc. Maybe a second visit will feel different if you have the chance.

Yes, the harbor is awesome & feels just like in the game!
One of the issues I have with Yokosuka (other than the general Americanization) is that every time I’ve been it’s been pretty deserted. Granted, I’ve only ever been during the daytime, but I’d have still expected a lot more hustle and bustle. One of the things that makes Dobuita feel so alive in Shenmue is the people and without them, the place just feels dead.

As others have already said though, the harbor is pretty cool!

Great post as always, by the way!

Someday...I will make it there. Amazing post. Very interesting to read about all of the first hand accounts.

Fantastic translation @Switch. First time reading this and it’s interesting the scary and dangerous reputation Yokosuka had, especially for outsiders at the time. In addition I wonder if Suzuki and team purposely leaned away from geo-political issues related to strong US presence for fear it could hamper distribution or potential NA sales?

I wonder if Suzuki and team purposely leaned away from geo-political issues related to strong US presence for fear it could hamper distribution or potential NA sales?
That's a good point, that might well have been a key factor as Suzuki has always been very aware of the global market. I hadn't really realized the lack of attention or representation of the US military presence in the game until reading the article. The character profile of Cathy Wilkins is an interesting example of one that hints at it, but only outside of the game itself.
188926768_224427342453716_7151381503604174940_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back