The render difference between 3d concept and realtime in Shenmue III

In 3D Concept, the rendering looks beautiful compared with the game process. But it is hard for me to tell why. I think the most difference is the eye rendering and the skin rendering. 屏幕截图(25).png屏幕截图(26).png屏幕截图(24).png

Because those 3D screens are touched up.
Higher resolution and downsampling to clean up the image quality.
Higher quality post-process.
I also suspect them to manually touch up some stuff hence why some elements looks like they were drawn.

I was really confused about these touched-up screens when the Magic 2019 trailer dropped and the in-game character models were revealed to look a bit different. I kept reading on here that it was all likely due to video file compression trickery and the lighting in some scenes which made me think I was seeing things. Good times!

The model in this picture also looks fine, Ryo's face looks similar with the Shenmue I and Shenmue II

Attachments

• 1621083281773.png
    1621083281773.png
    767.3 KB · Views: 34
The model in this picture also looks fine, Ryo's face looks similar with the Shenmue I and Shenmue II
Alot of people really disliked that model, which is why they changed it.

Reactions: red
While I don’t disagree touch ups were made you are also comparing scenes largely from cinematics to the in-game model and there’s often a lower LOD even in AAA productions.

With cinematics they can adjust lightning perfectly, use depth of field amongst other things. Also those renders never felt like Ryo to me, the final in-game model while far from perfect got much closer.

Last edited:
Back