The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

See I disagree that the “insufferable pacing” as he puts it is exclusive to the series. The original game had two choke points with finding Charlie/tattoo parlour and working the docks segment which deliberately slow down the player but given it was first game of its kind I sort of understand how these issues may have arisen by design or not.

Shenmue 2 in my opinion is expertly paced balancing providing the player with freedom and constantly driving the narrative forward. Shenmue 3 is sort of a mixed bag with some obvious, artificial pay walls but as been discussed to death not nearly same narrative pay off.

Watched this yeasterday; great video review.
This is the kind of review that I really love to watch and also wished for those that never played the Shenmue series that they would see so they could understand what Shenmue is really all about.

I agree, great video review of Shenmue III.

The Shenmue series is consistently overlooked and faces criticism from various angles, so is really nice to see more people having fun and enjoying Shenmue III.

In my opinion the person that did this video explained in detail many things about what Shenmue is about, this review is so sweet that even gave a warm feeling in my heart.

Yu Suzuki even confirmed that Ryo will forget about revenge, that the feeling of revenge will completely dissapear. The Shenmue story will not end with Ryo killing Lan Di, so what is the most important thing in Shenmue? the destination or living the journey little by little? i say that the journey is more important, that the people Ryo meet along the way and the lessons he learn are more important.

IMG_8800.jpg

I even saw some people saying that Yu Suzuki should have ended the Shenmue series in the third game, i respect the opinions i just don't agree.

Shenmue to me is about Ryo meeting people along the way and learning with them, making new friends and bonds that will change his life forever, and that he will remember these people for his entire life, is about Ryo improving as a martial artist and as a person, it's a journey of growth.

Shenmue to me is about Ryo living this wonderful and epic journey little by little and so much more, and to me this is the beauty of Shenmue.

When i look at Shenmue i see beauty in taking things in a slow way.

"Life goes at its own pace, not at your pace."

Shenmue 2 in my opinion is expertly paced balancing providing the player with freedom and constantly driving the narrative forward. Shenmue 3 is sort of a mixed bag with some obvious, artificial pay walls but as been discussed to death not nearly same narrative pay off.

two $500 walls were pretty bad, too, and i feel like it is easy to forget how we've become accustomed to expecting them; gamble smarter, work more or simply save scum. Perhaps even plan as far back as Yokosuka to spend less on toys, then go nuts on day one never leaving the dock or pigeon park for collectables to pawn. Also, the default gachas given on Shenmu 2x were fairly profitable if you were careful about which shops to sell them.

Shenmue 3 also has a pretty profitable pawn system if you get the right prize at lucky hit or bucket toss or bought with gambling tickets, plus the Niaowu street fights are very easy money, too.

Shenmue 2 the better game overall for sure and Shenmue 3 has steeper walls, but they both used two each, and saying the narrative/plot learned was not the same payoff will differ subjectively. Not as much meat, but I personally loved the small tidbits about Iwao--been wanting an Iwao-based Shenmue Zero for decades, so I'm very into ANY lore regarding his previous journey being mirrored by Ryo.

Oof, i need to play Shenmue 3 again soon, methinks!

Back