The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

71 \o/

Unless both EDGE and Gamespot both drop a 5/10, I do not think we have to worry that the score will dip below 70 any more. That score is simply too high for the game to be regarded as a disaster which saves Shenmue from being on video essays about bad games in the future.

Edge shitted on Death Stranding and I've no confidence in Gamespot. I'm holding my breathe.
Hard to imagine Edge shitting super hard on Shenmue 3 with that huge cover profile over the summer, but we will see... Also still waiting on Huber's review which should at minimum be a 7/10

Lisle Wilkerson’s Joy performance is a damn shame. I feel like she’s treated with kid’s gloves a little, because she’s so involved in the community. But yeah, it’s bad. Funny thing though, I like how Yuan and Xiuying sound, so you could just chalk in up to bad direction.

71 \o/

PKH.gif

Shenmue climbing its way right back to the top

If you guys haven't already registered and reviewed Shenmue 3 on Metacritic, make sure you do! It takes just a minute.

The game is currently sitting with a user score of 8.2 - 41st best game of all time!!!

I'll review some other games before to make sure they won't censor me.

I was looking through the meta critic reviews on my commute and, as far as I can tell, think I noticed a pattern.

The vast majority of the game’s below average reviews (70 and lower) seem to have been published between the 19th and the 22nd whereas the majority of the positive reviews seem to have come from the 22nd onward.

Im wondering if somebody with a little more time could confirm this (maybe some kind of average review score by day)?

This would make sense to me as games like Shenmue take time to be appreciated and would also strengthen the argument that DS dropped the ball by not providing review copies ahead of launch.

I was looking through the meta critic reviews on my commute and, as far as I can tell, think I noticed a pattern.

The vast majority of the game’s below average reviews (70 and lower) seem to have been published between the 19th and the 22nd whereas the majority of the positive reviews seem to have come from the 22nd onward.

Im wondering if somebody with a little more time could confirm this (maybe some kind of average review score by day)?

This would make sense to me as games like Shenmue take time to be appreciated and would also strengthen the argument that DS dropped the ball by not providing review copies ahead of launch.
Let's hope they learn, because I think you are 100% right. Reception has been way more positive the longer it has gone!

I actually hate the fact that review copies were sent out so late. The reception hasn't even been THAT much of a disaster. Perhaps DS undershot that some people would genuinely enjoy and review this game well. Pays to have faith in something.

Last edited:

Bad reviews PS4:
11 on the 19th
11 on the 20th
3 on the 21th
2 on 24th
1 on 25th
2 on 27th
1 on 28th

Of the 30 reviews, 22 were in the first 2 days.

Bad reviews PC:
6 on the 19th
8 on the 20th
1 on the 21th
1 on the 22th
2 on the 23th
2 on the 24th
1 on the 26th

Of the 21 reviews, 14 were the first 2 days

Decided to look a bit deeper.

The PS4 version received 20 scores of 70 or below. Of these 20, 11 came before the 25th. During this time, there were 20 reviews published, meaning that only 45% were above average. From the 25th, there were 9 scores below 71. During this time there were 23 reviews published, meaning that 61% of reviews were above average.

The average score for the game prior to the 25th was 70. The average score for the game from the 25th has been 72.4.

For anybody wondering, the average score without weighting for the PS4 version is 71.3.

Bad reviews PS4:
11 on the 19th
11 on the 20th
3 on the 21th
2 on 24th
1 on 25th
2 on 27th
1 on 28th

Of the 30 reviews, 22 were in the first 2 days.

Bad reviews PC:
6 on the 19th
8 on the 20th
1 on the 21th
1 on the 22th
2 on the 23th
2 on the 24th
1 on the 26th

Of the 21 reviews, 14 were the first 2 days

I told you all this would be the case. Yu only stated how many times 'Take it slow'.

Yet you had these reviewers who are so conditioned to guns blazing and match points, always seeking the next dopamine high. Unfortunately for them, Shenmue is not that.

Do you know happens to addicts when they don't get their fix, they tend to get a little bit cranky.

I told you all this would be the case. Yu only stated how many times 'Take it slow'.

Yet you had these reviewers who are so conditioned to guns blazing and match points, always seeking the next dopamine high. Unfortunately for them, Shenmue is not that.

Do you know happens to addicts when they don't get their fix, they tend to get a little bit cranky.
You are overthinking it. They don't even search for that dopamine. They are just virgin people with no friends. That's all.

I think it has more to do with them needing to get a review out ASAP to drive traffic to their site. Most people aren’t going to wait for publication X’s review when 10-15 other publications have reviews out. Maybe some of the reviewers would have still rushed through the game even if they’d had their copies earlier, but I dare say many would have taken their time a bit more had they not been under pressure to get their reviews online as quickly as possible.

Back