The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

Jim Sterling's hate for Shenmue is weird. Okay, he doesn't have to like it, but in recent months he has been the one shouting for more mid-tier budget games that isn't targetting tens of millions of dollars and gamers.........well, Shenmue is one of those games, and Jim is criticising it's whole existence and basically willing it to die.

His whole attitude towards the series is just really odd. It's just a niche and harmless game made for fans that love the series, what the hell did it do to piss him off so much? He treats it with disdain more than he does a lot of games that are full of microtransactions, and from what I have seen over the years, he really hates microtransactions.

For somebody that keeps harping on about how great the old days were, you would think a game like Shenmue would be something he would be happy to see continue, even if he isn't a fan of the series himself.

I know, and another weird thin is, he doesn't like pure adventure games at all in general, which yea fine, but I never understood why he picks on Shenmue, when It's the whole genre he doesn't like.

It's as if, he doesn't recognize that just Adventure is infact a genra , and that only Action/Adventure count(lol which look how he treated BOTW, so he didn't treat that, that much better either. Seriously, subtracted 2 whole points because of the weapon durability system, get the hell out of here).

I wonder what would happen if he played a Sierra game or whatnot.

Also yea, It's funny how he always criticizes big companies for not wanting to make more niche/lower budget games, but when they do, he either shits on them or outright ignores them, pretending they don't exist. The stuff he starts shooting off, before shitting on the older games are "supposedly" signs of a smaller budget game right, the things he's blowing up to be big issues, is exactly what smaller budget projects would cut corners on(ignoring the fact the VA part was done to cater to the fans/as a nod to the old games, as It's a continuation, but anyway), as they're not the most crucial elements of the game, so It's iron for him of all people to be complaining about.

Last edited:
Hardcore Gamer gave it a 70. It's on Metacritic. Cogconnected's review of 6/10 is now on Metacritic as well. Average is still at 71.

EDIT: List updated

As in, HG101, the site?

If so, how did they ever gain that kind of clout? Their old articles are PHENOMENAL.

Having watched the Sterling show, despite the tired Yakuza comparisons and the odd comment I disagreed with, he didn't really shit on it as much as I thought he was going to. In the last couple of minutes he more or less says that he admires Suzuki for sticking to his guns and that he has every right to make the games he wants.

Blocked at work :( lol (my late night, tonight).

But yes, you're correct in that is isn't them :)

Blocked at work :( lol (my late night, tonight).

But yes, you're correct in that is isn't them :)

I found it to be a very fair review actually. It's one of those reviews that gets that Shenmue isn't supposed to be Yakuza or GTA. One that realizes that its slow pace is its charm.

I wonder whay would happen if he played a Sierra game or whatnot.

I spent many a happy time playing Sierra games when I was a kid. Police Quest series (before they became rubbish), King’s Quest, Gabriel Knight, etc. Oh and Leisure Suit Larry obviously. Those were games where you could truly end up in stuck and unable to progress if you’d missed something, sometimes going back to the very beginning. Man, those were good games.

I spent many a happy time playing Sierra games when I was a kid. Police Quest series (before they became rubbish), King’s Quest, Gabriel Knight, etc. Oh and Leisure Suit Larry obviously. Those were games where you could truly end up in stuck and unable to progress if you’d missed something, sometimes going back to the very beginning. Man, those were good games.

Yea, me too, such great times :) However yea they started going downhill. Hell King's Quest 5 is way better on the NES, then it is on the PC, due to the suppose "improvements" lmao that the PC version was given, while the NES port feels like a real King's Quest game. King's Quest 3 would still probally be my favorite though, and yea police quest was pretty awesome too.

King's Quest 3 would still probally be my favorite though, and yea police quest was pretty awesome too.

KQ3 was such a great game. Man I remember playing the first PQ game on my bro's PC with CGA graphics, before moving onto EGA and eventually VGA.

KQ3 was such a great game. Man I remember playing the first PQ game on my bro's PC with CGA graphics, before moving onto EGA and eventually VGA.

I remember playing a PQ game on the c64 for the first time(it was my introduction to PQ), but for some reason history doesn't even acknowledge its existence. It's such ashame my parents gave my c64 stuff away to my friend(I don't think they like it taking up so much space sigh).

Anyone listen to the Angry Joe review? I got so irritated listening to someone who is so ignorant/ misinformed about the series. He ends up giving it a 4/10.

Anyone listen to the Angry Joe review? I got so irritated listening to someone who is so ignorant/ misinformed about the series. He ends up giving it a 4/10.

I just watched it myself and the review is maddening. The video does have spoilers, but the person reviewing it is telling the viewers to not buy the game and to play the Yakuza series instead.

Completed the game myself on PC, I would give the game a 7/10.

Why the hell would you do that to yourself, you saw his hot takes on things like battlefield 5 haven't you(think he did one for captain marvel as well), so you know he's insane. come to think of it, Angry Joe was self destructive for most of the year(not like he was ever really stable to beginwith, but hey).

His explanation doesnt make a lot of sense. He says like three times that Shenmue 3 is a sequel and not a remake,
thats why he wants to see new and different stuff and not the same classic oldschool Shenmue things again.
"you have to talk to a lot of NPCs and there is tons of dialogues ..."
"a nightmare of a experience because you have to investigate in first person view sometimes ..."
"the minigames are just a optional feature ..."

Aaahhh look at me screaming in my review because i have to find the six cards in this one investigation scene,
oh its so difficult. ... so Shenmue is just not his thing i guess? Couldnt he just say that at the beginning?
"Everyone who watched my stream on Twitch will agree with me." Mhmm, sure, you convinced me.

Also very nice and friendly review with all the f*ck, sh*t, bs.
Very good drama queen review, i give it a solid 0/10 on the helpfulness scale (y):sleep:

Every time I hear about Angry Joe, I think of how YouTube and the internet in general is like a metaphor for the world and humanity: there is much beauty to be found, but you gotta wade through a whole fuck ton of stupid bullshit to get to it.

I’ve never both loved and hated something so much as I do with YouTube.

And that’s a Goddamn shame. Like someone else said in a different thread, it’s like people are afraid to think for themselves. They’d rather rely on reviews and internet “personalities” like this fucking clown.

Not saying I’m above reviews myself. Trying to ween myself off of them.

His explanation doesnt make a lot of sense. He says like three times that Shenmue 3 is a sequel and not a remake,
thats why he wants to see new and different stuff and not the same classic oldschool Shenmue things again.
"you have to talk to a lot of NPCs and there is tons of dialogues ..."
"a nightmare of a experience because you have to investigate in first person view sometimes ..."
"the minigames are just a optional feature ..."

Aaahhh look at me screaming in my review because i have to find the six cards in this one investigation scene,
oh its so difficult. ... so Shenmue is just not his thing i guess? Couldnt he just say that at the beginning?
"Everyone who watched my stream on Twitch will agree with me." Mhmm, sure, you convinced me.

Also very nice and friendly review with all the f*ck, sh*t, bs.
Very good drama queen review, i give it a solid 0/10 on the helpfulness scale (y):sleep:

Yea, clearly investigatory exploration Isn't his thing, and It's not many of these big Youtubers thing.

I just don't get how these youtubers can't differentiate genres they're just not into from bad game design. I can review a game from a genre I don't care about yet still review it fairly, know what people see in said genre, and what makes such good.

Back