The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

Yea, clearly investigatory exploration Isn't his thing, and It's not many of these big Youtubers thing.

I just don't get how these youtubers can't differentiate genres they're just not into from bad game design. I can review a game from a genre I don't care about yet still review it fairly, know what people see in said genre, and what makes such good.

Exactly. I wouldn’t review a romantic comedy movie because I hate the genre. Wouldn’t be fair for me to do so. But you know, clicks. So I need to review something I know I don’t like and be as obnoxious as possible so I can continue to “influence”.

I do have something to ask though guys, it doesn't seem like that's actually Angry Joe? Or am I wrong? I keep seeing comments saying it's someone named Del reviewing it(I know nothing about the channel so forgive me if that's actually Joe's real name or something lol)

I do have something to ask though guys, it doesn't seem like that's actually Angry Joe? Or am I wrong? I keep seeing comments saying it's someone named Del reviewing it(I know nothing about the channel so forgive me if that's actually Joe's real name or something lol)

Ah yes, forgot to mention, it is in fact not Joe himself, but one of his friends/partners that works with him on the channel. Regardless, it is his channels review and it is a bad one. Not because of the score but the actual review is just terrible and misinformed.

It's especially disheartening because he he has a big audience and therefore does have quite a bit of influence.

I remember I tried watching a Sleeping Dogs review by him and thinking, “Jesus, just get to the fucking point”. I was 30 seconds in and all I saw was this fucking clown prancing about like, well like a fucking clown.

That's why I never followed him/watched his videos on a regular basis. He tend to draghis skits out longer then the god damn review its self.

To be fair, it wasn't Joe reviewing the game, it was the other guy, Delrith. Honestly, he sounds so misinformed throughout that it's hard to take what he says seriously. Sadly, the Angry Joe fanboys will take his word as gospel. It's also become so lazy to bring up Yakuza in a Shenmue 3 review. I'm certain most people haven't even played both games at this point, if they had, then they would know that it's a tired comparison and has like a grain of truth in it. He says he played the original games too, which could be true, but I have my doubts. Nobody that played and liked the originals would be so ill informed.

He also said this was the worst game he has ever played, which is just a ridiculous statement to make. It reminds me of Polygon saying this doesn't even pass as a game.

I can take negative reviews, but when they come out with outlandish statements and cliches, they deserve to be criticised for it.

Yup, Sns and personality cults is the worse thing to happen to reviews. Since no one goes through a vetting process/procedure to earn thier review prestige and just rely on their "Interweb Creds" to pass off as "M uh-professionalism". It's sad that this is the driving authority factor in influencing someone's purchase and not a balance research and/or trial demo. This is the real sad state of gaming that is killing off many beloved IPs and genres. Corporate greed killed industry innovations and Youtubers killed unique niche games that tries anything outside their mainstream taste.

To be fair, it wasn't Joe reviewing the game, it was the other guy, Delrith. Honestly, he sounds so misinformed throughout that it's hard to take what he says seriously. Sadly, the Angry Joe fanboys will take his word as gospel. It's also become so lazy to bring up Yakuza in a Shenmue 3 review. I'm certain most people haven't even played both games at this point, if they had, then they would know that it's a tired comparison and has like a grain of truth in it. He says he played the original games too, which could be true, but I have my doubts. Nobody that played and liked the originals would be so ill informed.

He also said this was the worst game he has ever played, which is just a ridiculous statement to make. It reminds me of Polygon saying this doesn't even pass as a game.

I can take negative reviews, but when they come out with outlandish statements and cliches, they deserve to be criticised for it.
Just ignoring everything else... the worst game he's ever played is a 4/10? Has he played 12 total games in his entire life?

The worst thing about the review is that Delrith (the Angry Joe reviewer) says at the end that he hopes if there is a next kickstarter that it doesn't succeed because it was a gross misuse of the funds.

Like what? That is clear ignorance of game development and how much funding it requires for a game of Shenmue's scope.
What kind of reviewer blatantly voices an opinion like that in a review?

Five minutes in...obligatory Yakuza reference...why am I not surprised in the slightest?

I'll try and be fair and watch the rest of it but it took all of what 2 to 3 minutes to come up?

EDIT: You know, I can accept a bad review when it at least makes a point in a professional manner...see IGN's less than favorable review...it at least did so in a manner was understandable and professional...I can accept it and in some areas agree with some of their points...but I can't take this nerd rage shit anymore. I loved AVGN, but it's like no one realized he was playing a character as they all jumped on board and tried to emulate him to some degree.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh look! There's the "LoOkS lIkE Ps3 gRaPhiCs" critique. You're so original buddy.

"It would look passable for PS3 but not PS4 and PC"

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That is such a god damn idiotic statement. I guess all those 2D pixel art games aren't acceptable because they don't do raytracing...don't you know...there's a standard of what makes a current day PS4 and PC game (apparently)

Give me a fucking break.

Again, there are ways of writing a bad review that doesn't make oneself sound like a complete tool.

TRIPLE EDIT: He's glad they added a newly implemented wait feature that the other games "didn't have"...but he claims to be a "fan" and has played Shenmue II....I'll let you do the math on that one.

Last edited:
opinions ignorance.jpg

I'll try and be fair and watch the rest of it but it took all of what 2 to 3 minutes to come up?
You people are such masochists I swear to god. These """people""" are 3 dimensional cartoon characters, you don't need to worry about being fair to them.

The worst thing about the review is that Delrith (the Angry Joe reviewer) says at the end that he hopes if there is a next kickstarter that it doesn't succeed because it was a gross misuse of the funds.

Like what? That is clear ignorance of game development and how much funding it requires for a game of Shenmue's scope.

One that isn't qualified to give a review.

To attribute malice out of ignorance is the stupidest thing I've ever heard anyone reviewing anything ever done. Even mainstream outlets with their hate boners has more class than this poor excuse of a hyperbolic outrage review.

Hopefully, if we make it to SIV with a proper budget and veteran staff talents behind YS, these pseudo-review channels true colors will be exposed when YS brings out the big guns and set the standard for the next decade of game design that'll easily fly over their heads. Shenmue will have the high ground advantage. Just like how no-one was getting away with talking shit during the period when S1 came out and blew everyone's minds.

You people are such masochists I swear to god. These """people""" are 3 dimensional cartoon characters, you don't need to worry about being fair to them.

Ah look, it's better to be fair than just equally angry over a bad review...like I said, I gave the IGN review a chance and found it to be fair...even if it is a bad review, it's still a fair opinion.

This on the other hand? This was a masterclass in pathetic. This was a masterclass in some of the stupidest statements I've heard this year.

Ah look, it's better to be fair than just equally angry over a bad review...like I said, I gave the IGN review a chance and found it to be fair...even if it is a bad review, it's still a fair opinion.

This on the other hand? This was a masterclass in pathetic. This was a masterclass in some of the stupidest statements I've heard this year.

Exactly my sentiment, critical but fair and professional is fine, this was just an abomination of a review. I don't know what was worse Angry Joe's review or Jim Sterlings video.

Also I realize we shouldn't dwell so much on these negative takes, I'm sure we'll see some positivity soon with Easy Allies (Huber's) review soon. Although he did say on a recent stream that he didn't like the combat so I expect there will be some fair criticism in his review.

Back