The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

IGN also posted a lovely article "Why Shenmue 3s Ending is a Disappointment" yesterday. Having not beaten the game, I stayed out of that. Yesterday was national Shit on Shenmue Day.
As I've finished the game, I checked out the article and it was full of shit lol. The guy didn't understand what happened for starters and clearly doesn't know shit about Shenmue in general. Really crap article to be honest :p

Anyone knows when Famitsu reviews are on the way? I'm expecting a good review from them

It average'd an 8, total of 32/40

It's been on the list for a while.

I like a lot of Joe's content, but I do feel like he's gone the shock jock, outrage route like a lot of other youtubers. He was apart of that "Epic deal bad" thing, so he's not gonna contradict himself or go against the crowd like a lot of these outrage guys, even when they're dead wrong. The last thing these guys ever do is apologize for an off target opinion.

Okay, new reviews were added to Metacritic and it's overall bad news. A 78 from something called Atomix, and a 50 from JeuxActu. The latter dragged the average BACK TO 70!

WHAT IS WITH THE FRENCH HATING ON THIS GAME?

Most of all the biggest French outlets rated it 5/10 and wrote the same shit about the "dated" aspect and so on.

Jeuxvideo.com 10/20
Gamekult 5/10
Jeuxactu 50/100
Le journal du geek 5/10

I feel like living in the worst times of the Soviet Union, with one official outlet, Pravda (= Jeuxvideo.com) telling everybody what they have to think.
They clearly rushed the review, they were the first to publish it in the world.
"Journal du geek" published it later but it was even more rushed. The reviewer says that you need to zoom 3 times to grab herbs and 4 times to open a drawer. He says you can NEVER skip conversations, etc. He played less than 2 hours for sure.

French vg media are officially the worst in the world :)

Okay, new reviews were added to Metacritic and it's overall bad news. A 78 from something called Atomix, and a 50 from JeuxActu. The latter dragged the average BACK TO 70!

WHAT IS WITH THE FRENCH HATING ON THIS GAME?

Not surprising to me, I predicted the bad reviews two months ago :

France has a strong receptive culture regarding exotic works but their game journalists are mostly terrible.

Jim Sterling has actually grown on me over the past few months, as generally, he’s pretty on the nose when it comes to his comments about the state of modern gaming and, even when being critical of games, he usually does so in a fair way.

With that in mind, I was a little disappointed with his review of Shenmue 3 (if you can even call it a review).

A lot of what he said was fair, but his criticism of Yu Suzuki for spending the money available to him to make improvements to the game really didn’t make much sense to me and his assertion as to where the money came from and went really missed the mark.

What annoyed me the most though was his hypocrisy.

In the past he’s slammed the gaming industry for not catering to specialized markets, but here he criticized Yu Suzuki for making a game for the fans that paid for it because it didn’t adhere to the modern standards set by the AAA publishers he bashes every week.

Whether or not Shenmue has a large enough fan base to warrant spending as much as was spent on S3 is somewhat a moot point when the bulk of the money literally came from the fans who financed the game and wanted it to be made as per Yu’s vision. Had YS altered the Shenmue formula to appeal to new fans, I’ve no doubt he would have been criticized for not making the game for the fans. Damned if you do, I guess.

Another thing that rubbed me the wrong way was his criticism of the Epic deal. Earlier this year I recall him posting a video defending gearbox for signing an exclusivity deal for Borderlands 3. Six months later and Yu Suzuki is greedy for wanting more money to make a better game (even though there’re a good chance that he didn’t see a dime of the Epic money).

I can’t help but feel that he let his bias (which he openly admits to having, in his defense) get the better of him on this one.

I thought this was an interesting comparison piece to the Shenmue III review thread, Patrice Dsilets - a previous producer of Assassin's Creed - Felt his new game made by a studio of just 35 was held to a higher standard becuase of his previous work.

The developer of Ancestors Patrice Désilets has said that critics expected the Assassin's Creed creator's title to have that level of quality despite having a much smaller team.

Speaking at Reboot Develop Red - as reported by GamesIndustry.biz - the former Ubisoft employee said that it wasn't possible to deliver something like Assassin's Creed with a team of just 35.

The developer also accused reviewers of not actually having played the game.

"I'm used to having bigger numbers than that, so it's the elephant in the room," he said, referring to the first three Assassin's Creed games, all of which had Metacritic averages between 80 and 90. "But people expected my studio of 35 people to ship a game that is really close to Assassin's Creed, and it's just not possible. We made some harsh decisions in order to ship the game, and we wanted it to be different."

He continued: "We know for a fact that some reviewers actually didn't play the game. It is part of our industry –they have to review games, and they have 15 of them to review in one week, and sometimes they don't have time. And since Ancestors is so different, some of them went 'urgh, I don't have time for this.'

"And we know for a fact that some just invented some elements in the game – like there is no fire and you cannot ride any horses, even though one reviewer said 'oh, it wasn't that great when you ride a horse.' Yes. My people are pissed, by the way.

"So please don't take notes today as we talk, mainly because I don't know how to make a video game."

There are so many parallels to Yu Suzuki and the Shenmue kickstarter.

While playing I turned often to my wife and said 'I can't believe this was a kickstarter game,it's unbelivable'

I maintain that because Shenmue III dared to do more than the Kickstarter status quo, i.e a 2D throwback game it got more severe reviews as a result.

If it was a 2D beat em up with RPG elements (think Monster World IV) I feel critics would have gone easier on it. That's not Suzuki's style though, and I truly believe you would be hard pushed to find any producer who could make a 45-50 hour open world RPG with so many interconecting gameplay systems on such a meagre budget.

Shenmue III should have been held up as a shining example of returns on budget but instead it was rediculed for not looking as good as a 500 strong open world team, it was weaponised into a symbol of EGS hatred, and constant reference was made to 'dissapointing the backers' when they don't know shit, we wanted Shenmue III and we fucking got it, and it was a way better game thanks to my expecations being kept firmly in check through development.

So when you've got people like Angry Joe and Jim Sterling piling on it, who have a huge audience, that really grates my fucking cheese because this is the sort of game that should be celebrated.

Shenmue 3
will be for the fans,
by the fans
- yu suzuki

Last edited:

It's typical some of our best reviews don't have a score at the end. I guess all hopes are on EZ and Edge to guarantee the 70.

Back