The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

Yeah the Shenmue 2 dub was pretty bad ... Especially the voices for Joy and Ren ...

Joy’s VO was the reason I had to leave IIx never to be touched again, and get the Dreamcast out. I had played I in English and II in Japanese, but the the IIx is what really cemented my preference for the Japanese vo. I agree that there’s no way III can be anywhere as bad as that. I’ll give the English vo a go during my 2nd run through but from what I’ve heard, Shenhua’s voice sounds great.

Joy’s VO was the reason I had to leave IIx never to be touched again, and get the Dreamcast out. I had played I in English and II in Japanese, but the the IIx is what really cemented my preference for the Japanese vo. I agree that there’s no way III can be anywhere as bad as that. I’ll give the English vo a go during my 2nd run through but from what I’ve heard, Shenhua’s voice sounds great.

I was doubtful at first regarding Brianna's rendition of Shenhua, but after playing around 10 hours I can say I'm really happy with her and the chemistry between Ryo and Shenhua.

Definately a wise decision not getting Joys VO back for 3 xDD

God damn, of all places, who would have thought that the fucking Lad Bible would have come up with just about the best summary and explanation of what this game means to us. That's genuinely wholesome, and the author 100% understands our point of view. That put a massive smile on my face!
The guy who wrote it created Vice Gaming back in the day, before they fired loads of people, now he's heading up "Gaming Bible". He's a great writer.

Feels like that metascore should've creeped up a few points by now (not that I'm checking...)

Yeah the Shenmue 2 dub was pretty bad ...

I disagree, the Shenmue 2 dub was really unlike anything else I've ever come across in a video game.

Whereas the voice over in almost other games can be equated to Hollywood Blockbusters, awash with pretense and melodrama, the Shenmue 2 dub can be likened to a child's first venture into storytelling, a homemade enactment with her friends. There is a certain starry eyed innocence, a certain naivety and wholesomeness to the narration.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but I would assume not, since I haven't noticed the mainstream (non-gaming) media be included before. I might be wrong though.

Edit: Never mind, jsh020 confirms they are.
always remember they publish who counts here, some similar names though its worth clicking on the site link to be sure its the same one.

Gameover gave a 50 in pc so it's back to 70 in pc mc. 7 reviews
Gamer.nl gave a 75 in mc ps4. 42 reviews

List.
Gameover added to unranked

The Guardian and Gamestar was already known earlier in the threadso they're already there.

PS: Even if I don't repost the list, I edit the previous one continuously so you can easily spot what has and hasn't been added.

List.
Gameover added to unranked

The Guardian and Gamestar was already known earlier in the threadso they're already there.

PS: Even if I don't repost the list, I edit the previous one continuously so you can easily spot what has and hasn't been added.

Amazing work. Thank you Real1

Back