The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

Exactly my sentiment, critical but fair and professional is fine, this was just an abomination of a review. I don't know what was worse Angry Joe's review or Jim Sterlings video.

Also I realize we shouldn't dwell so much on these negative takes, I'm sure we'll see some positivity soon with Easy Allies (Huber's) review soon. Although he did say on a recent stream that he didn't like the combat so I expect there will be some fair criticism in his review.

At least you know it will be fair and even handed. I am actually curious about his review. I’m still calling 7 or 7.5. I don’t think he’ll over praise...I could actually see him sharing some criticisms that most have had here actually. But yeah, interested to see his review.

But at least, it will be fair and even.

Not just “lOoK aT tHiS dUmB Ps3 lOoKiNg GaMe LOLZ”

At least you know it will be fair and even handed. I am actually curious about his review. I’m still calling 7 or 7.5. I don’t think he’ll over praise...I could actually see him sharing some criticisms that most have had here actually. But yeah, interested to see his review.

But at least, it will be fair and even.

Not just “lOoK aT tHiS dUmB Ps3 lOoKiNg GaMe LOLZ”

Yes 7 or 7.5 was my guess as well. Huber is able to separate personal enjoyment and critical analysis. So in his heart it'll be a 10 lol.

Though I disagree with him, Sterling's video wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, as he has at least been consistent in his criticism: I don't like/get this genre of 'tedium.' The main new addition in today's video seems to be his armchair criticism of capitalism (and 'ethics') applied to said genre.
I think he just doesn't get the franchise; he criticizes RDR2 in a similar vein, but I think he misses the specific details/intentionality.

The AJS review is far less consistent. Though I'm grateful he informed me that 2001 is 18 years ago (I kept miscounting on my fingies), I noticed that he added in that common, obligatory "I loved the old games back in the day" comment to soften biased impartiality. Coupled with the "this is a sequel, not a remake" comment (just because you repeat a point, that doesn't mean it has meaning), he seems to hate it for doing what it does rather than what he wants.
That said, I have respect for his actually beating the game: in his footage, he has mad Bailu cash and the fishing jacket, so at least he really tried to play it.

Sigh... I guess.. ugh... AngryJoeShow's 4 added to the god damned list.

Sigh... I guess.. ugh... AngryJoeShow's 4 added to the god damned list.

Wait, you mean that scrub is counted towards metacritic? That's complete BS, bigger outlets that take their job more seriously, aren't even counted towards the metacritic score sigh.

Wait, you mean that scrub is counted towards metacritic? That's complete BS, bigger outlets that take their job more seriously, aren't even counted towards the metacritic score sigh.

Oh no way man. I added it to the Unranked section

I am not going to click on the AJ video, but Rapid's Reviews are not a fraction of relevant than their main comedy reviews, so no that much impact

Okay, new reviews were added to Metacritic and it's overall bad news. A 78 from something called Atomix, and a 50 from JeuxActu. The latter dragged the average BACK TO 70!

WHAT IS WITH THE FRENCH HATING ON THIS GAME?

I am not going to click on the AJ video, but Rapid's Reviews are not a fraction of relevant than their main comedy reviews, so no that much impact

I made the huge mistake of clicking and then the even bigger mistake of reading the comments. It was mostly about how Epic sucks, how Suzuki is a scammer who snorted cocaine for 7 million, PS2 graphics, how all Shenmue fans suck, how yakuza is better (very common).. Ya know the usual.. But in much larger quantities than usual.

I made the huge mistake of clicking and then the even bigger mistake of reading the comments. It was mostly about how Epic sucks, how Suzuki is a scammer who snorted cocaine for 7 million, PS2 graphics, how all Shenmue fans suck, how yakuza is better (very common).. Ya know the usual.. But in much larger quantities than usual.

Welcome to hell...surrounded by the mouth breathers that occupy the internet.

Usual BS list

Scammer — funny that! I have a game installed to my HDD that I paid for. Some scam they got running there. It’s the first scam I’ve heard of where they took your money and gave you something in return.

Epic — Imagine wasting SO much of your life hating a store front...imagine what a waste of life that is...I pity them.

Yakuza did it better — most likely never played Yakuza but loves to repeat that BS line because they heard someone else say it.

And here I am wasting time mocking these morons once again...oh well, such is life.

Last edited:
Okay, new reviews were added to Metacritic and it's overall bad news. A 78 from something called Atomix, and a 50 from JeuxActu. The latter dragged the average BACK TO 70!

WHAT IS WITH THE FRENCH HATING ON THIS GAME?

Sigh b, bu, but according to Kojima, the french have a different artistic sensibility... guess that was wrong lol. Shouldn't they love games like Shenmue 3, I mean come on according to Kojima, they gave him high marks.

Oh wait I figured it out, artistic sensibility is a code name for people willing to ride his dick lol Now it makes sense.

Real gaming connoisseurs appreciate bad acting, but only when it comes from overpaid Hollywood actors.
I was joking...then I decided to look up what those same French review sites scored Quantic Dreams' games and LOL, I was right.*

*Seriously though, I do think the appeal of Hollywood is stronger in some countries than others. Also, some people are just graphics whores! Let's be real. If Ryo was played by a face-scanned Joseph Gordon-Levitt Shenmue III's meta score would be at least 5 points higher.

Last edited:
So today the critic rating dropped to 70 and the user rating dropped to 80. Not a great day for Shenmue 3.

Still, both are probably better than I expected.

So today the critic rating dropped to 70 and the user rating dropped to 80. Not a great day for Shenmue 3.

Still, both are probably better than I expected.

The user rating most likely dropped because of AngryJoe and Jim Sterling fanboys flocking to Metacritic to rate the game low without trying it because their idols didn't like it.

Those were two giant YouTubers basically one two punching Shenmue III at the same time.

The user rating most likely dropped because of AngryJoe and Jim Sterling fanboys flocking to Metacritic to rate the game low without trying it because their idols didn't like it.

Those were two giant YouTubers basically one two punching Shenmue III at the same time.

Which seems like a coordinate effort really! Seriously what was so special about yesterday that they both dropped their review at the same time?

This YouTube era of gaming and rage culture is very annoying, there's no way anyone can tell me why they both decided to drop on the same day and not have an agenda, it's easy to hate and bully something that niche that will give your followers/viewers am easy laugh without being challenged and guaranteed likes.

Which seems like a coordinate effort really! Seriously what was so special about yesterday that they both dropped their review at the same time?

This YouTube era of gaming and rage culture is very annoying, there's no way anyone can tell me why they both decided to drop on the same day and not have an agenda, it's easy to hate and bully something that niche that will give your followers/viewers am easy laugh without being challenged and guaranteed likes.
IGN also posted a lovely article "Why Shenmue 3s Ending is a Disappointment" yesterday. Having not beaten the game, I stayed out of that. Yesterday was national Shit on Shenmue Day.

Back