The Shenmue 3 Review Thread

This week’s Famitsu review scores are in.
Shenmue III 7/9/8/8 [32/40]
Pokémon Sword & Shield 10/9/10/9 [38/40]
Yo-kai Watch 4++ 9/9/9/9 [36/40]
New Sakura Wars 8/9/8/8 [33/40]
Control 9/8/9/8 [34/40]
The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan 8/7/8/8 [31/40]
Ghostbusters: The Video Game Remastered 9/8/8/7 [32/40]
Headliner: NoviNews 8/7/8/8 [31/40]
Megaquarium 7/8/8/7 [30/40]
モチ上ガール 7/8/7/8 [30/40]
Sparklite 7/7/7/7 [28/40]
Sorry to go so far back and slightly off-topic...

I know it’s higher than Shenmue 3’s but that Shin Sakura Taisen score is quite a bit lower than I expected :eek:... it’s beloved in Japan so I expected at least 35. I hope it’s due to the combat being less good and not that they butchered the whole dialogue system/adventure portions. I can live with mediocre combat.

Does anyone know where I can read the reviews (do they even have text)? Original Japanese is fine.

Sorry to go so far back and slightly off-topic...

I know it’s higher than Shenmue 3’s but that Shin Sakura Taisen score is quite a bit lower than I expected :eek:... it’s beloved in Japan so I expected at least 35. I hope it’s due to the combat being less good and not that they butchered the whole dialogue system/adventure portions. I can live with mediocre combat.

Does anyone know where I can read the reviews (do they even have text)? Original Japanese is fine.
I doubt the score has any bearing on the game's quality (though I guess that's how I feel about "professional" reviews in general), but yeah, I kind of expected them to give it 9s and 10s considering it's a big-budget reboot of a big series from a big publisher.

I doubt the score has any bearing on the game's quality (though I guess that's how I feel about "professional" reviews in general), but yeah, I kind of expected them to give it 9s and 10s considering it's a big-budget reboot of a big series from a big publisher.
Yeah, I never trust Famitsu’s numbers in general, but they always tend to score high. 33 is honestly really low. Sonic Forces got a 35! Sakura Taisen is legendary over there, so I really wonder what happened.

Yeah, I never trust Famitsu’s numbers in general, but they always tend to score high. 33 is honestly really low. Sonic Forces got a 35! Sakura Taisen is legendary over there, so I really wonder what happened.
That's all the more reason I think you can safely assume this score doesn't really mean anything. I am like 99.9999% sure Sakura Taisen reboot is better than Sonic Forces just based on the fact it's not Sonic Forces.

Maybe the reviewer is a bleach hater and doesn't like Tite kubo's design over the Ah, my goddess guy...:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Or it could be one of those 2D vs 3D thing...

I mean look how dam smooth the old art direction used to look.

vs

The CGI over-hual look

Maybe the reviewer is a bleach hater and doesn't like Tite kubo's design over the Ah, my goddess guy...:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Or it could be one of those 2D vs 3D thing...

I mean look how dam smooth the old art direction used to look.

vs

The CGI over-hual look

Who knows. I prefer the Ah My Goddess guy but I can live with Kubo (though I never read Bleach). I’m still loving what I’ve seen of the game so far, and I’m very tempted to import it. I just worry that I will have trouble reading the Japanese in time to effectively respond to the LIPS conversations. Some of the kanji in the older games takes me a while to read...

Oh well. I’m still optimistic, but if we see the gaming community at large begin to shit on and be dismissive of Sakura Taisen like they have with Shenmue, I’m going to be a sad boy.

Last edited:
Well let’s hope so. If I have to watch the

Who knows. I prefer the Ah My Goddess guy but I can live with Kubo (though I never read Bleach). I’m still loving what I’ve seen of the game so far, and I’m very tempted to import it. I just worry that I will have trouble reading the Japanese in time to effectively respond to the LIPS conversations. Some of the kanji in the older games takes me a while to read...

Oh well. I’m still optimistic, but if we see the gaming community at large begin to shit on and be dismissive of Sakura Taisen like they have with Shenmue, I’m going to be a sad boy.
Sega needs to get this game onto steam asap instead of ps4 only...Steam eats up VN type of games in the west like hotcakes. Hope Sega realizes this before the Ps4 only niche crowd gives a weak performance during its launch week.

Man, this guy talking shit about Yu is so insane. I feel ashamed for him. Yu contributed so much for the industry, even the different cameras in 3D racing games exist because of Virtua Racing, first 3D fighting game, etc... poor soul.

Man, this guy talking shit about Yu is so insane. I feel ashamed for him. Yu contributed so much for the industry, even the different cameras in 3D racing games exist because of Virtua Racing, first 3D fighting game, etc... poor soul.

You can tell he is completely ignorant of who Yu Suzuki is, dude straight up insults a living legend like he's a nobody.

Yeah. I remember that. It went from like a 6.8 to 7.8. I think there were complaints about the original score, so Gamespot bumped it up.

Yeah...I mean I'm not a fan of Trump and I don't want to turn this into a politics shit fest so leaving aside the "is Trump good or bad?" talk...but I am genuinely amused by the people who are SO enraged by the thought of him that they find every little way to bring him up even when he isn't at all relevant to the conversation at hand...it's bordering on unhealthy obsession.

And they think we're unhealthy because we're fans of a game? Look in the mirror! :D

Sadly everything has become politicised in a way that it's impossible to escape it. The polarized politics have turned even video games polical where people boycott an entire developer over perceived views. Example being Kingdom come deliverance. I don't even know how Shenmue or Yu Suzuki could be politicized, both seem like the most peaceful down to earth thing I can think of, So bringing some abstract politics into this is really low.

Here is one more review from Playstation Trophies. I wanted to check out if Shenmue 3 had been added and saw an image of it on the main page. It linked to their review. The writer seemed to be a Yakuza fan, approaching Shenmue 3 from that angle so he struggled a bit initially. But he gave it a fair chance, had good valid criticism and seemed to get the game eventually. There's an overview of how he rated separate elements. Overall score 70/100.

GameSpot are collective POS. I'm not defending S3, but they have just given, in recent times, odd, and very nominal, game scores. They haven't been a good site, either, since the early 2000s, in my opinion. I'll give IGN the benefit of the doubt, but it is odd that the reviewer, Kyle Hillard (?), scored it so low, after he played through the first two games, and enjoyed them, in a YouTube walkthrough a couple years ago.

GameSpot are collective POS. I'm not defending S3, but they have just given, in recent times, odd, and very nominal, game scores. They haven't been a good site, either, since the early 2000s, in my opinion. I'll give IGN the benefit of the doubt, but it is odd that the reviewer, Kyle Hillard (?), scored it so low, after he played through the first two games, and enjoyed them, in a YouTube walkthrough a couple years ago.

The Gamespot reviewer did give it a low score but the review is actually fair and critical, not just baseless bashing. She highlighted the things she thought were good like the world feeling alive and myriad of things to do. I felt all her criticisms were valid. We have to understand not everyone can overlook flaws like we can because we are all mega fans here, not everyone else is.

Yep, and with the requisite negative Shenmue 3 hatred comment, which I promptly responded to because I'm a fool.

Koch and the Shenmue 3 social media accounts posted it today, btw.

Back