The Significance Of Luoyang

Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Strider (2014)
In Shenmue II when Ryo reaches Shenhua's house for the first time she shows him a picture of Luoyang one of the four great capitals of ancient China. She speaks to him about having a connection to this place in the distant past. In Shenmue III, she elaborates further that she can envision the city in her dreams even though she supposedly has never been there. It begs the question as to what role Luoyang plays in the overall picture. It might also explain the treasures of the Qing Dynasty, Chiyou, the Tiger Swallow Style, the Shenmue Tree and Shenhua's mysterious powers. What do you guys think?

Doesn't Shenny mention that in some dreams she has about Luoyang, she is a princess sometimes?

Then again Luoyang was not the Qing capital, so maybe we are reading too much into it.

I don't think she specifically references or even alludes to Luoyang at all in Shenmue 3. I might be mistaken, however.

Also the fact the tapestry was simply not there anymore makes ya wonder if it even matters anyway.

I don't think she specifically references or even alludes to Luoyang at all in Shenmue 3. I might be mistaken, however.

Also the fact the tapestry was simply not there anymore makes ya wonder if it even matters anyway.

@orient made a post in the S1&2 forums about this, which is hard to disagree with. The omitting of the tapestry in 3 could simply be down to Yu having to condense the story down and getting rid of Luoyang all together. While that would be somewhat disheartening, it would make the most sense at the moment to me.

In Shenmue III, she elaborates further that she can envision the city in her dreams even though she supposedly has never been there.

Does she? I can’t remember her mentioning Luoyang in 3 but I could just not be remembering. Would love to be wrong on this.

Does she? I can’t remember her mentioning Luoyang in 3 but I could just not be remembering. Would love to be wrong on this.

She mentions seeing a city in her dreams during one of your conversations in Shenmue III. Given that in Shenmue II she showed Ryo the tapestry of Luoyang (and speaking so highly of it), I assumed that's the city she's referring to in Shenmue III.

She mentions seeing a city in her dreams during one of your conversations in Shenmue III. Given that in Shenmue II she showed Ryo the tapestry of Luoyang (and speaking so highly of it), I assumed that's the city she's referring to in Shenmue III.

Right, yeah that would make sense. I replayed I-III recently so I get muddled up on when she says certain things.

Cheers.

I think the prevailing theory is that the flashback scene in Shenmue II is in Luoyang. While we don't know for sure, her family looks like they are dressed a little fancier than the usual citizen, and the palace looking building is very grand in scale.

Perhaps Shenhua is the incarnation of the emperors daughter, the princess, and for that, the powers. Or she is the princess directly and for any reason, the time did not pass as it should for her.
I am in the reincarnation of an ancient princess boat here. Her powers are connected in some way to the treasure. I still dont think its a pirate chest of gold but something more intangible and mystical.

When in Shenmue Online Trailer, Shenhua does her reincarnation and the world collapses (it's unclear whether it's deluge or a magical transition), I assumed Ryo would basically do a time travel late in the story thanks the power of mirrors.

Last edited:
Maybe, but Shenmue Online was confirmed to be non Canon, wasn't it? On my phone and can't check for sure now.

It was but I don't remember if Yu was denying whether the fireballs or the whole lore. That plus the CGI renders with Shenhua in ancient outfit, it's pretty teasing overall.

At least, we can fairly suppose that another Shenhua's mysterious flashbacks may come.

When in Shenmue Online Trailer, Shenhua does her reincarnation and the world collapses (it's unclear if it's deluge or a magical transition), I assumed Ryo would basically do a time travel late in the story thanks the power of mirrors.
Yeah, that’s exactly what I think the mirrors do: they act as a gateway to the ancient Qing dynasty times that Shenhua is from as a reincarnate.

Back