The Sonic the hedgehog Movie

Sput Vas Normandy

There's a lot of buzz around Shenmue 4
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Starfield
No topic? Aren't you fans of Sega? :LOL:

Sonic looks nicer now, and Jim Carrey is Jim Carrey so it seems pretty good, any of you saw it?

Just back from it.

Really liked it, the story is basic but the little references are fantastic. Jim Carrey as Robotnik is a masterstroke.

Stay for the credits btw ;)

That's why I had that argument with the other poster; doesn't matter what people think, the games still sell like hotcakes and and property is incredibly popular.

Saw it last night and it just put a massive smile on my face, for basically the whole film. I said out loud that even if the film sucked, the 10 second Sega production company crawl at the beginning, more than made up for it.

I BEYOND loved how they stuck it to Nintendo, saying that Mushroom world is lonely and that Sonic hated mushrooms/going there. The nods and hints to everything, from the Green Hill theme playing on piano at the end, to chili dogs and everything in-between, it was incredible.

As a film itself, I would give it an 8/10 at the absolute most, but because it's Sega, 9/10 for me :D

I made another thread in the off-topic forum...oops.

My brother and I saw this movie yesterday and we loved the movie and this is coming from old school Sonic fans that haven't played the mainline Sonic games in years.

Oh yeah and that Sega IP opener....

Capture+_2020-02-15-22-21-56.png
Shenhua up on that BIG SCREEN bois! Many awesome games featured on that splash screen. I loved seeing Jet Set and even the obscure Roomania #203 gets a nod.
Source:

Welp, I was finally able to see it. Overall I think I enjoyed Detective Pikachu more, but as far as many other game adaptations go, it wasn’t bad, and definitely better for having fixed Sonic’s design.

Most of my issues with it had to do with just being too short to really build anything. Still hard to care for side characters that have absolutely nothing to do with the series as a whole, so there’s very little emotional weight to scenes that are supposed to be dramatic.

Jim Carrey is always weird but it’s especially weird here where it’s even hard to tell whether he actually did any research on the character or if he was told just to act as himself. A different interpretation is fine and all, just confusing when some short lines sounded a lot like Mike Pollock or Deem Bristol. With all the retro touches, though, it wouldn’t surprise me if old clips were just edited in. Of Carrey just happened to sound a bit similar at points.

Other oddities, well, not much I guess...kind of strange that the echidna were shown so early, and I don’t ever recall anything about any owl guardians in the rest of the series, but maybe that’s something to do with comics I never read.

In any case, looks like they’re planning on a sequel, in which case I can only hope the donut lord stuff takes a back seat to anything to do with Sonic. But I also worry they’ll retread old ground if they start getting into all the dumb stuff with Shadow or Silver or anything after that.

I saw it. My son loved it. Not really into the "cartoon enters the real world" trope all these films seem to be based on, but I enjoyed the action and Jim Carrey was pretty funny. I would make the bold claim the old reviled Mario film is a much more interesting film, but this is clearly a commercial home run and I'm glad Sega scored a win out of it. I also like that it didn't do anything to diminish the character or rewrite things in a way that would upset hardcore Sonic fans. Why didn't they have a new Sonic game ready to launch!?

I'm not really a huge Sonic fan, though I do like the original trilogy & Master System games, so I went in with zero expectations. I think they easily exceeded zero. It was also fun seeing Yakuza & other games in the title screen. If only we'd gotten a shot of Shenmue in. Oh, the credits are also awesome. I'd be fine with a 2D Sonic that looks like the credits.

Last edited:
I saw it. My son loved it. Not really into the "cartoon enters the real world" trope all these films seem to be based on, but I enjoyed the action and Jim Carrey was pretty funny. I would make the bold claim the old reviled Mario film is a much more interesting film, but this is clearly a commercial home run and I'm glad Sega scored a win out of it. Why didn't they have a new Sonic game ready to launch!?

I'm not really a huge Sonic fan, though I do like the original trilogy & Master System games, so I went in with zero expectations. I think they easily exceeded zero. It was also fun seeing Yakuza & other games in the title screen. If only we'd gotten a shot of Shenmue in. Oh, the credits are also awesome. I'd be fine with a 2D Sonic that looks like the credits.
Shenmue is in the title screen check out my "Awesomeness" spoiler tag above.

I heard it's surprisingly okay. Not really interested enough to go see it in a theater, but I watch it if it gets relased on Netflix.

I'm happy it's doing well in the sense that it helps Sega but I'm probably going to wait until its on streaming services. I will say I wish Harley Quinn opened the prior weekend with that much money. I quite enjoyed that one and want a sequel for that.

The movie is between okay and not bad at all.

The main flaw is that the fan service was cruelly lacking... and I paid for that (and Carrey)!

Fanservice was great! Maybe it requires a second viewing? There was A LOT of it there and almost all of it was subtle.

Not to mention, I think this is more of an origin-story.

Back