The state of YsNET?

We just got word from Cedric that Shenmue 4 is not in active development, however they are pitching the project to publishers with pre-production materials.

If S4 isn't in development, then what is YsNET doing? A studio can't sit around doing nothing, they either develop something or disband/downsize significantly.

Anybody has any idea about the # of employees there? And if they have other projects lined up?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the assumption that most people who worked on Shenmue III were contractors? What is the organisation of YSNet? I can't imagine there is a full time staff in that studio. I just assumed it was all contract work.

I think it was all freelancers working there but the question is how does Yu make his living? I doubt his consultant or producer or whatever role with the Shenmue Anime is enough to keep the lights on.

I think it was all freelancers working there but the question is how does Yu make his living? I doubt his consultant or producer or whatever role with the Shenmue Anime is enough to keep the lights on.
Prob. made bank at Sega. I know developers don't earn much, but I think he had a pretty elevated role compared to most...

If you go to Steam's Shenmue 3 page you will find that they are currently working on several hotfixes for Shenmue 3's steam version planned to be released in january.

Yu only used $4 million of the KS budget on the game, the remaining $3 million is being used to keep the lights on while he sits around with other aging ex-Sega developers drinking vintage Sake'.

THE SCAM ARTISTS! :p:p:LOL::LOL:

Now that the Steam hotfix is out of the way, I wonder what they could be working on.

I do a daily Google, when I remember, of "YsNet," "Shenmue," etc. (in Japanese and English). I also keep an eye on the Ys Net website and social media. Haven't come across anything interesting in some time. I keep hoping I'll see a job listing at least.

Well we do know there is a team there still working as per the information from Ryan and Cedric :)
Yup, and if you take into account Yu's comments around what he's doing in 2021, he mentioned a couple things that did not sound like Shenmue. They could very well have other projects on the go. I guess only time will tell.

I took from what Yu-san said about other projects as stuff he'd like to get going this year.
The team are most likely just at work on the Shenmue 4 promo material that Cedric told us about earlier.
But, who knows!

I took from what Yu-san said about other projects as stuff he'd like to get going this year.
The team are most likely just at work on the Shenmue 4 promo material that Cedric told us about earlier.
But, who knows!
I agree with this. It would be so cool if he had other smaller projects ready to go this year but I believe Shenmue IV is the main focus for him and the team. Hopefully a publisher will pick up IV and we'll get news by the end of this year. Or possibly next year when fingers crossed the anime drops.

Last edited:
But, who knows!
True, but it has been a long time since Shenmue III's release. It wouldn't surprise me if they'd worked on several pitches/prototypes as from a business perspective that'd be the safest thing to do. Hopefully we'll hear something sooner rather than later :coffee:

I got an email from them just last week to say that they’re not currently hiring. Make of that what you will.

Got to remember Yu was driving Ferraris in the 90s...I'm sure his wealth has compounded enough over the years that keeping the lights on at YsNet is no big deal :)

lol, while the F355 is one of my favourite Ferraris (I really don't like the brand and have never been into them, outside of about 3 models; the F355 is one of them) and actually sold fairly well in the 90s, if my memory serves me correctly, it was one of the cheapest Ferraris ever made.

You still needed money to buy one, of course, but it wasn't the sticker price of an F40/F50/Enzo.

I think it's a real shame the Chinese release of S3 got canceled. Not that it would have sold loads of copies over there but it's still a real bummer.

Back