Thoughts On Shenmue 3 Antagonists?

Maybe Yu didn’t have more scenes with Li Feng precisely BECAUSE he knew the fans would sniff her out as being Niao Sun? The game was made for the fans and not casuals so maybe this makes sense?
That's terrible reasoning. The writers of Westworld Season 2 did the same thing, they made story changes when fans guessed too many plot twists early and it turned the story into a confused and confusing mess. George R R Martin has a great quote about this: “I’ve been planting all these clues that the butler did it, then you’re halfway through a series and suddenly thousands of people have figured out that the butler did it, and then you say the chambermaid did it? No, you can’t do that.” Write your story properly so it holds up, don't try to outsmart your audience at the expense of the narrative.

It even occurred to me that Li Feng was Niao Sun at one point in S3 and I thought to myself, there's no way they'd do that because she's barely in the game.

From the moment Ryo stared at her on the boat, I figured she'd be Niao Sun. We know nothing about this character, yet importance is being placed on them. Then when she disappeared from the main plot for ages I was wondering what happened. Then she tells Ryo and Ren that she sent the Red Snakes away, and they leave while shrugging their shoulders, which was truly bizarre.

I think people are more warm to Yanlang because if anything, he is quite funny and you do get to see his personality more throughout Shenmue 3. You don't get that with Mr Muscles.

The interrogation scene with Yanlang and his responses were hilarious

That's terrible reasoning. The writers of Westworld Season 2 did the same thing, they made story changes when fans guessed too many plot twists early and it turned the story into a confused and confusing mess. George R R Martin has a great quote about this: “I’ve been planting all these clues that the butler did it, then you’re halfway through a series and suddenly thousands of people have figured out that the butler did it, and then you say the chambermaid did it? No, you can’t do that.” Write your story properly so it holds up, don't try to outsmart your audience at the expense of the narrative.

It even occurred to me that Li Feng was Niao Sun at one point in S3 and I thought to myself, there's no way they'd do that because she's barely in the game.
I agree the author shouldn’t try to punk the audience. It would be like Shenmue 4 starting with Ryo waking up in his bedroom and realizing his whole revenge journey was just a dream.

During development and the original reveal of Mr Muscles, I had no issue with his design. I thought he looked kind of cool on his own.

But when in the actual game, and you have this contrast between normal looking npcs and the ones with gigantic angular jawlines, I thought he looked ridiculous and out of place. It turned out to be a big mistake to have those two drastically different art styles.

From the moment Ryo stared at her on the boat, I figured she'd be Niao Sun. We know nothing about this character, yet importance is being placed on them. Then when she disappeared from the main plot for ages I was wondering what happened. Then she tells Ryo and Ren that she sent the Red Snakes away, and they leave while shrugging their shoulders, which was truly bizarre.

I thought she was probably Niao Sun from the 1st appearance too. Later, I found her sitting at a cafe and she would turn her head and follow Ryo as he walked through the area. (Very creepy) He had to be very far away from her before she would move her stare back to the table. I was 99 percent sure that was Niao Sun keeping an eye on Ryo after that.

Whoa is that true? They programmed her to track Ryo’s movements beyond regular NPC’s? I’d love to see video of this.

Yeah. I cant remember what cafe, but she was sitting at a table and her head would turn towards Ryo. I had to walk very far away for her to return facing the table. She wouldn't turn around behind her though.

Yeah. I cant remember what cafe, but she was sitting at a table and her head would turn towards Ryo. I had to walk very far away for her to return facing the table. She wouldn't turn around behind her though.

Interesting. I feel like there’s a potential video in making for @BlueMue to catalogue all times you can spot her in the wild in Niaowu and maybe document this too.

I’ll have to keep an eye out during my replay.

Interesting. I feel like there’s a potential video in making for @BlueMue to catalogue all times you can spot her in the wild in Niaowu and maybe document this too.

I’ll have to keep an eye out during my replay.

Iirc, she appeared in the 2nd half of the Niaowu story. After 1st appearing in a cutscene, she was standing in front of a shop (prize shop possibly?). After that, I dont remember seeing her until the cafe much later.

Last edited:
I'd like to see that too. Hopefully someone can track down when and where she can be found. That's really interesting.

Back