Thoughts on Shenmue III crowdfunding closing before I & II release date?

Sooner or later they need to prioritize traditional preorders over crowdfunding rewards, as it's only the former that count toward the game's actual sales figures, which will be a decisive factor in the future of the series.

Forcing new fans created by 1&2HD to go that route will hopefully provide an early boost to those figures, and prompt more retailers to begin taking preorders.

I thought at least having it available a month after the release of new release of Shenmue1&2 would have made sense, it would give new players time to experience the game and hopefully gain more contribution. Not sure fi they can extend it but I would think it wise.

There also needs to be a cut off so that they can start planning having the rewards put together etc. I can't imagine Yu sitting there signing 100's if not 1000's of bits of artwork in a day :p

I can see peoples logic with keeping it open but as mentioned above they need to start pushing actual pre-orders. Remember sales of 3 will help the future of the series and I can't imagine they will count the backer sales in the final figures. Did they do so with mighty number 9 or Yooka Laylee?

Hmm... maybe Yu-san and company have great confidence in all the funding they already have. If so, wish they could include that last Battle System feature. Everything else seems unsubstantial and it would be a great gesture to the fans.

Hmm... maybe Yu-san and company have great confidence in all the funding they already have. If so, wish they could include that last Battle System feature. Everything else seems unsubstantial and it would be a great gesture to the fans.

I think given the other investment from Deep Silver their budget would have been increased. To what I don't know.

It would be great if we got the full battle system and they may include it but would detract from the original stretch goals & we all know the press will love that. Let's see where we end up after August 13th.

I do think that Yu and the team will be working flat out to give us the best possible game. For the budget it will be very good value for money I'm sure

They have to close it before release to develop all the kickstarter rewards into the game, if they keep allowing pledges and rewards the development never ends, and then you have the actual physical rewards like the capsules, shirt, mousepad, watch, illustrations, etc... They all have to be produced before the game officially launches. Crowd funding can't last forever...

Unless you're Star Citizen charging thousands of dollars for digital space ships

Last edited:
They have to close it before release to develop all the kickstarter rewards into the game, if they keep allowing pledges and rewards the development never ends, and then you have the actual physical rewards like the capsules, shirt, mousepad, watch, illustrations, etc... They all have to be produced before the game officially launches. Crowd funding can't last forever...

Unless you're Star Citizen charging thousands of dollars for digital space ships
The credits roll is gonna be insanity...

What they did was pretty smart. Look at how much money they made ($40 million plus). Shenmue III could have achieved this too if they went about it the right way.

Anyway, back on topic. For me personally, I hate that it's closing so early. It would have been so nice to have it going until January of next year. I think that would have been perfect, but oh well it is what it is.

;
What they did was pretty smart. Look at how much money they made ($40 million plus). Shenmue III could have achieved this too if they went about it the right way.

Anyway, back on topic. For me personally, I hate that it's closing so early. It would have been so nice to have it going until January of next year. I think that would have been perfect, but oh well it is what it is.

You can't say its perfect when you have no idea of the realities or production or development. If they could have crowd funding until then they would.

;

You can't say its perfect when you have no idea of the realities or production or development. If they could have crowd funding until then they would.

Sorry, I meant to say it would be perfect for ME. I needed time to save up for that $3000 reward, but unfortunately that ain't happening now. This may mean that Shenmue III will release sooner than expected, considering the early closure of the campaign.

I'm happy having reached the $7 million goal. I feel that with everything that we've seen that the fans have done what they can at this point and that they need to shift gears into finalizing the product that will release to us. I also agree with what Let's Get Sweaty stated above.

They might be closer to completion than we think.
I hope so! We know very little about the game. How long does it take to record voices? Have the english voices started to record?

I've thought something about a new trailer, we have seen that they have used pics taken from videos. Maybe the last pic used in the kickstarter is from the next video we will see.

I hope so! We know very little about the game. How long does it take to record voices? Have the english voices started to record?

I've thought something about a new trailer, we have seen that they have used pics taken from videos. Maybe the last pic used in the kickstarter is from the next video we will see.

I know the voices are usually done toward the end of development. Originally Corey was supposed to start the English voices at the end of May but this may have been put on hold. Having seen the pictures of the Japanese voice artists working the script looks huge.

I'm hopeful. It would be good to see some gameplay. Fingers crossed

Sorry, I meant to say it would be perfect for ME. I needed time to save up for that $3000 reward, but unfortunately that ain't happening now. This may mean that Shenmue III will release sooner than expected, considering the early closure of the campaign.

Ah. That makes sense. ;)

I'm gonna go with what most people on the forums seem to think. At this point in time, about a year away from S3's release (hopefully), it's time to leave the crowdfunding phase behind us and start getting those S3 preorders on the actual physical or digital release of the game.

Also Yu has to finalize a budget at some point and get the game finished.

It is sales of digital and physical copies of S3 which will get us S4. This is also what YS Net's and Deep Silver's focus and also our focus as the Shenmue community should be on now. S3 needs to sell or else.

Like others are saying, the game needs to start focusing on sales, promotion etc now. Now that we have reached the $7million stretch goal and still have a small chance of hitting the $7.5million one, I'm glad the campaign is closing on the 13th.

I think Yu wanted more money to make the game more open world and more to his vision but now that he has that, it's not essential to keep throwing money at development. The game wouldn't be out for years then and we want more then anything to play the game next year. Even if it's one year away from now.

Back