Tips to Replay Shenmue 3

I intend to replay Shenmue 3 for the first time and I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help enjoy the experience? Perhaps in terms of collecting items?

It'd likely help to clarify things to find out what you want from the experience.
Some considerations: How did you first experience go? What did you find pleasing and displeasing? What would you like to find on your second run-- items, character interactions, both, more? Would you like to use New Game Plus? Do you anticipate a third runthrough to space out those goals?

I admit I rushed my first run to avoid spoilers (I know myself), and that colored the playthrough. On the second, I used the new game+ method to collect all things. As for my third, I intend to try the hardest mode and really enjoy a slow build (i.e., play the game as Suzuki desired we would).

If you're more concerned with tips on collecting, we've threads to guide that.

New Game plus will carry over your kung fu and stamina which is a huge bonus. My 2nd playthrough meant I had more time to play the game without worrying about food all the time. Like Shenmue I and II! So I strongly recommmend doing that if you can. Some bits carry over such as found fishing spots so getting the trophy is a little easier (although you don't know which ones you've found already unless you have a good memory!)

I recently did a playthrough on PC and found that using Cheat Engine to give myself extra money made the experience infinitely better. When all was said and done, I’m pretty sure I’d legitimately earned enough to cover the two story related paywalls anyway, but I was happy to be able to do it gradually and at my own pace rather than being forced to stop and grind it out. I also used CE to speed up time while pulling capsule toys and to change my total number of fish caught to 1,000 after I’d done a session at every fishing spot; both of which made the experience a lot more palatable.

Sadly, I can’t bring myself to recommend the DLC at full price as it’s pretty ass (Battle Rally is the least bad if you only try one), but if you can get it all for a few dollars, mixing it into a playthrough does help to freshen things up a little. I’m not sure it really improves things, though it offers a different experience to a regular playthrough. The same could also be said for new game plus, which eliminates much of the grinding found in one’s first time around.

you can't polish a turd. nothing will help to enjoy S3 more. the game is just plain boring and forgettable

Take your time with it. Don't rush it. I find it's a game that is infinitely better if you don't rush it and simply just live in its world day by day doing things at your own pace.

Hell, make it a casual playthrough in general...just soak in its world and enjoy what it is doing as opposed to what it isn't doing and I think you may find something there. But I say that to anyone going into it.

Oh and for combat...I suggest putting your four button combos to the Auto Moves in the Scroll Books...it helped me a lot playing on Nightmare last time...not that you will play on Nightmare, but in general, I think it helps a lot with the combat and makes inputting those long moves less clunky.

Back