Tokyo Game Show '19 ~Shenmue3~ Speculation Thread

Hey bros.
I thought it would be fun to create a thread dedicated to speculating about Shenmue 3's appearance on the upcoming TGS.
For anybody who doesn't know, TGS stands for Tokyo Game Show.
And
it will be taking place between September 12 to 15. (9 days to go)

As many of you know by now, Shenmue 3 will appear in some form.
And it will be shown and "supported" (if we can call it that) by SEGA!
How awesome is that?!
Even if Sega's involvment is not much for now, it's still heartwarming to see some kind of supporting there.
(Who maybe can lead into something else in the future, who knows ^^ , and after all Shenmue is Sega's property!)

We also know that this probably the last gaming event Shenmue3 will be on, before the game finnaly releases!

Quickly approaching the backer's trial and the release itself,
What you expect to see from this event?

4046 4047

I like that ideia.
You know, we're still missing some good story driven trailer.
Maybe let people know what happened before and what kind of story points Shenmue 3 will be all about.
Shemue story is its main attraction for many many fans, the marketing team could really make some great videos showing how epic and misterious the story is.

I would be glad getting a new story trailer and maybe some gameplay. Do not expect that though. I think we might end up getting just the gamescom footage with japanese dub. Would be fine for me as well.

But maybe we are all going be suprised and Sega will more afford in marketing than DS did in the past. But I would not count on that.

At least the game is featured again and that is great.

Trailer wise I suspect we'll see a JPN version of the Gamescom trailer, but with promotion ramping up, who knows?
Regardless I think we'll see some new screens in some form.

Same demo, same trailer from Gamescom, just in Japanese. No new gameplay or screen shots. There will be more information and interviews, and the exact date for the backer demo will be announced in a kickstarter update.
I don't think so.

There are many things that need to be revealed like Niao Sun and some important moments from the story including the fortified castle area.

Usually JAPAN is known for lengthy trailers so this might be the time for some extensive trailer.
This is the last important event before the release and they need to show all the missing stuff.

As for the demo most likely they will highlight the backers demo.

Would be okay with the Japanese dub of the Gamescom trailer, but I've got a feeling they may want to make a splash at TGS and have produced something new for it.

Personally more interested in what the stage show part of the TGS plans are. Live gameplay demo would be neat, even better if it showed off Niaowu.

It is not wrong to assume little new stuff considering what happened in the past Marketing wise. No doubt about that for sure.

But we also have to consider that the TGS is the last domestic gaming event before S3 is getting released. So it would be not very smart not to use the event to promote the game.

This time we have Sega in charge and not DS so maybe they make more out of it marketing wise.

It is not wrong to assume little new stuff considering what happened in the past Marketing wise. No doubt about that for sure.
I'm not sure that's very applicable anymore. Things were pretty spartan last year, but in 2019 we've had:

Shenmue III @ MAGIC 2019 - new trailer.
Shenmue III @ Reboot Develop Blue - new screens + in-depth discussion with Yu Suzuki about game mechanics.
Shenmue III @ E3 2019 - new trailer, hands-ons, b-roll.
Shenmue III @ Japan Expo - Walmart trailer in direct feed, new screens.
Shenmue III @ Gamescom 2019 - New trailer, new screens, hand-ons.

The only exception was the SIE China event where they played the E3 2019 trailer again.

I would love to see a story trailer that gives us a proper tease of what is to come. At least as much as they can show. I feel like the heaviest tease of the story we've seen so far is the Monaco Magic Trailer from this year so to see something like that would be cool for me.

But my realistic expectations are probably just the recent Gamescom trailer with Japanese dub...but it would be nice to see another new trailer. It feels like it could happen. We are 3 months away so it would make sense to get more promotional material out there.

Also, I imagine we'll get a kickstarter update just before hand announcing the date of the Backer Trial release.

Anything else? Is Shenmue III scheduled for any of Sega Japan's live streams at TGS? Maybe something new there (new B roll or something)

Other than that, I don't expect anything massive. Still, look forward to seeing whatever comes out of TGS. This and Yakuza 7 have my complete interest for TGS this year.

Last edited:
A story Trailer is definitely one of the top things they could show.
There so much story points they could use, without spoiling nothing ofc.
Mmmm. according to the dual shockers gamescom interview, Yu wants to let japaneese players play the game so, that mighr really happen.

"Lastly, Yu Suzuki mentioned how they want to let Japanese fans try out the game before release and hinted Shenmue III will probably be playable at Tokyo Game Show 2019 in September"

Yeah even if its the same demo, or the 15 minute one it's definitely critical that it's playable for Japanese audiences IMO. Or at least their previewers and games media.

I actually can't wait to hear the Japanese dub for the trailers as it will more likely make the impression for the game feel less dated in the eyes of the general public, and hopefully sell the game better. Let's be honest, sure the English dub is nostalgic and might channel the charm of dubbed 80's martial arts movies, but only old farts like us appreciate that sort of thing.

A story Trailer is definitely one of the top things they could show.
There so much story points they could use, without spoiling nothing ofc.
Mmmm. according to the dual shockers gamescom interview, Yu wants to let japaneese players play the game so, that mighr really happen.

"Lastly, Yu Suzuki mentioned how they want to let Japanese fans try out the game before release and hinted Shenmue III will probably be playable at Tokyo Game Show 2019 in September"
Yeah even if its the same demo, or the 15 minute one it's definitely critical that it's playable for Japanese audiences IMO. Or at least their previewers and games media.
Based on available plans we have currently, it won't be publicly playable at TGS.

Hope the Japanese games media can access it at least. It would be so ass backwards if the game wasn't playable at all at one of the biggest game conventions.

Hope the Japanese games media can access it at least. It would be so ass backwards if the game wasn't playable at all at one of the biggest game conventions.
The larger Japanese games media got their hands-on at both E3 and Gamescom. Making it available to more domestic press at TGS would be welcomed, but they've not been ignored. Not sure what the state of play is with influencers though, or if there's enough of an organised presence of Japanese fans to be invited to try the demo like various people from the Western community have.

I doubt the demo will be publicly playable at any event before release, though. Outside of the backer trial needing to come first, Gamescom sort of proved Yu-san's theory that you need an extended play session to "get" Shenmue III; with his ideal amount reaching up to four hours. That's obviously not achievable in a show floor situation, and neither is the 45 minutes press had at Gamescom.

Back