Tokyo Game Show '19 ~Shenmue3~ Speculation Thread

I'm expecting a JP version of the Gamescom trailer, and maybe a live demo on-stage -- there's a chance they could pick a more action-packed segment to show off, or just play the press demo.

I think it's too soon for another trailer. I think we'll get one more trailer before launch and it will be more cinematic, but that'll be way closer to release.

If Sega is hyping up Shenmue III for TGS, something big may be cooking...
we don't really know how much is Sega is investing in.
But any involvement at all is great news for sure.
One can really dream(cast), if the game is successful Sega migh really jump in.
And a Shenmue 4 marketed by Sega.... woooooow.... would be big.
I think we can all buy at leats 5 copies of the game now.

I think Ys Net should stay independent even for part 4, but money from Sega would be nice addition for sure. I am just not sure if I want to give Sega too much influence in the gameplay of the potential S4 thing.

Recently Sega tends to radically change some running series and make something different out them. I am talking about Yakuza 7 and about the new Sakura Wars. Both games offer a radical departure compared to the old games.

S4 does not need that.

I think Ys Net should stay independent even for part 4, but money from Sega would be nice addition for sure. I am just not sure if I want to give Sega too much influence in the gameplay of the potential S4 thing.

Recently Sega tends to radically change some running series and make something different out them. I am talking about Yakuza 7 and about the new Sakura Wars. Both games offer a radical departure compared to the old games.

S4 does not need that.
Neither of those were SEGA decisions. The creators/developers did what they wanted to do. Yakuza 7 could 100% be a brawler if that was what RGG Studio wanted for that game.

In fact, Sega has a great reputation of letting their studios have a lot of creative freedom and not interfering at all, so I don’t know where you are getting such nonsense from, Activison and EA Sega is not.
Like do you really think Sega would suggest RGG studio make a turned based game when turned based games are less and less common? Lol

Also Sega own the Shenmue IP...

I don't think Sega's involvement in showcasing Shenmue 3 means that much. As someone else said, they release all of Deep Silver's games in Japan (?) + it IS their IP. Of course, if the game miraculously sells a ton they'll be interested. They ARE a business after all.

Neither of those were SEGA decisions. The creators/developers did what they wanted to do. Yakuza 7 could 100% be a brawler if that was what RGG Studio wanted for that game.

In fact, Sega has a great reputation of letting their studios have a lot of creative freedom and not interfering at all, so I don’t know where you are getting such nonsense from, Activison and EA Sega is not.
Like do you really think Sega would suggest RGG studio make a turned based game when turned based games are less and less common? Lol

Also Sega own the Shenmue IP...
They let Yu Suzuki make two Shenmue games that were arguably extremely bloated (in a good way) and didn't seem to get in his way. They've had that attitude for years.

My bad then @ShenmueTree. Did not know that Sega is that liberal to their creators. I just thought that is common in every gaming companies that the higher ups on the business side of things tend influence the game design a lot.
Sorry if I was too rude, man, it wasn’t really my intention. I get too heated sometimes lol. Just, I know Sega is better than most when it comes to letting their Studios be pretty independent, (sometimes for better or worse) for example they take a completely hands off approach to Altus, if they were more involved maybe they wouldn’t do the streaming restrictions or dumb announcements of announcements of announcements all the time, haha.

Most graphicals enhancements and adjustments should be happening right now don't you think?
There's still tweaks being made to all of it. I know he said he wanted to tighten up the animations etc so its plausible minor changes will be made.

Otherwise it's bug hunting.

Per the 4Gamer interview from Gamescom:

The current state is that we're making various finishing touches and balance adjustments, and carrying out small bug fixes. Things such as modifying motions, improving the appearance and adjusting collisions. The balance adjustments are not just for the battles; we're also tuning the balance of the economy.

[...]

In any case, in terms of its level of completeness, I'd say "90% or above". If no bugs that stop the game from running (called "Class A" bugs) are found, then what we have currently could be released. That kind of level.

Nobody can say they're not pushing up to the wire on this one. No complacency from Ys Net as long as there's still time left on the clock.

The second quote in particular makes me wonder if Ys Net could have actually still shipped on their original 27th of August release date, at least with a day one patch.

They let Yu Suzuki make two Shenmue games that were arguably extremely bloated (in a good way) and didn't seem to get in his way. They've had that attitude for years.

Sega may not be the best at management or handling their IPs, but Sega is def the #1 publisher for any visionary/and or indie dev worth their salt. If you can prove you're creating something worthy...pitch it to Sega & they'll fund it while letting you retain almost complete creative freedom. This is why Sega has the most exotic variety of catalog compared to all other major publishers. Now if only we can get the risk taking Sega of old back where uncharted territory of ambitious ideas are green-lighted.

Last edited:
Shenmue 3 CONFIRMED for show on TGS Sony.

• Shenmue III (Koch Media / Deep Silver) – Trailer
  • Star Ocean: First Departure R(Square Enix) – Trailer

''

Back