Tower of Babel (Shenmue/Dreamcast Tech Demo) Playable Build

Jibby

🍇
Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
the waiting game.
The fine people over at The Dreamcast Junkyard have recently published an article about Yu Suzuki's 'Tower of Babel' tech demo with video footage and a downloadable build. The setting from this demo would go on to form the basis of Shenmue II's Kowloon.

The article goes over the demo, its history as well as the discovery of a playable version. It's well worth a read!
http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/2018/09/examining-yu-suzukis-tower-of-babel.html

cee5fab0ce.png

Amazing what surfaces after all these years. I adore DC history.

I wish they'd captured it on a real Dreamcast, or at least a capable PC that didn't stutter, though. A lot of people who don't know better will watch that video and assume it performed that poorly on a real DC. When in reality, it was an awesome tech demo.

Actually not all that new news, don't know why they make it so big now.
I tried out this demo many months ago, some time after it was converted to run outside of the devkit. Yeah it's been so long I can't even really remember how long...

Anyway it is a great piece of history and the tower on the hill certainly inspired Shenmue's Kowloon. The other buildings, general setting and lighting actually remind me more of Lucia's town in DMC 2 however.

I think it was actually based on Shenmue's Kowloon! You know how Shenmue's Saturn version basically had the game up to Shenmue 4 complete? Yeah...
It did? Is that confirmed? I thought the presentation Suzuki have suggested that not much of the Saturn version was finished?

No, it wasn't. Haven't a clue where you got that from.

Back