Underrated Gaming Gems

It's hard to say what is a hidden gem these days. Here are my picks hopefully you guys haven't already heard of most of them. I figure they're games people who like Shenmue would enjoy.

Anachronox: An American JRPG style game set in a sci-fi setting. It's funny, well written, easy to play with a decent grid based turn based combat system. Only thing is it did leave off to a sequel but never sold well enough for it continue (might be familiar territory for us). But the game's main story is self contained enough to still be enjoyed. Definitely worth checking out.

Terranigma: An overlooked SNES action RPG a la Secret of Mana that really is one of the best on the system. Great graphics, fun real time hack'n slash gameplay with a totally unique magic system. The general story is pretty standard JRPG fare but how it is told is really well done. In a lot of ways this game subverts tropes of the genre in the best way possible. It also has a unique gimmick where towns can grow and expand when you complete sidequests something I've never seen done in any other game. The game is a spiritual sequel to Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia but is not connected to those games at all. You don't need to play them to get into Terranigma and you probably shouldn't bother since Terranigma is way better.
If you have any interest in this genre this is a must play.

If you are interested I'd recommend going in blind as the story has some twists.

Boku no Natsuyasumi (My Summer Vacation): This is a series of games where you play a little boy on his summer vacation. You get to go fishing, catch bugs, swimming etc. It's a little bit of a "life sim" in the sense of Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing. It's a sort of existential game where there is no real goal other than to have as much fun and do new and interesting things before the summer ends. For those that like laid back and more family friendly experiences this is a great series. It also has the procedural day to day aspect that Shenmue has.

These games never came out in the west so translating them is kind of hard. If you can deal with that (or are fluent in Japanese) check them out.

Cosmology of Kyoto: A kind of educational game/adventure game set in a mythological Kyoto in the 10th Century. This is sort of an existential game as well where the game has many endings. You will die often and reborn according to your karma all the while exploring a medieval Japan filled with real history and mythology. The game has a built in encyclopedia so there is an educational component to this. This was one of the few games that Roger Ebert praised. It's clunky by modern standards though. Might need a walkthrough to get going as it's difficult to navigate and figure out controls. Once you get into it, it's fascinating. I should warn you though, this game can be quite dark, especially its depictions of Naraka (Hell).

Holy Striker: A Japanese only SNES action/puzzle game. This game is pretty simple, you wack an orb with your sword and break blocks and hit enemies. It's really fun though and kind of addicting. It also supports 2-player co-op. Might be hard to find a translated version but it doesn't matter there is no real story.

Cinemaware games: This is a company that made many 'interactive movie' type DOS games back in the day. If you're interested in the progenitor of this genre these games might be worth checking out. I recommend The King of Chicago a mobster game set in the 30's that has some interesting ideas that were ahead if its time. Good thing is these games are really short and designed to be really re-playable with a lot of branching paths.

Scumm Games: These are standard old school point and click adventure games created by LucasArts back in the day. Most people are probably aware of these by now, especially the more popular games done by Tim Schafer. There may be some games though that are under looked like The Dig or Loom though which are more mature and worth checking out. If you haven't played any of these games however you need to check them out. You can use the ScummVM emulator to play them rather than a DOS emulator.

Gabriel Knight Series: These games used to be really popular but no one talks about them anymore. Again forgive me if these are not really considered "hidden". Either way they are a trilogy of adventure games that are absolutely excellent. They follow the titular character a "shadow hunter" who explores mysteries of the occult. This first game is set in New Orleans while Gabriel solves a string of Voodoo murders, the sequels are just as great involving werewolves and vampires. They are mature games. Really well researched, very well written and voiced, by a celebrity cast no less(Tim Curry, Leah Remini, Mark Hamill).
They are harder more advanced adventure games though but definitely worth revisiting for their stories alone. While some of the puzzles may be frustrating to modern audiences some of them are brilliant as well and stand amongst the best in the genre.The first game in the series got an HD remake but lost the good voice team.

The Last Express: One more adventure game. This is a game inspired by murder on the orient express made by Jordan Mechner (of Prince of Persia fame). It has a passage of time mechanic like Shenmue where everything happens on a schedule. It allows you to rewind time to try different things, in fact it is integral to solving the mystery. Each character is fully fleshed out with their own schedule and can be influenced by the player. It's a great concept that is often overlooked because of its art style (which I think is great btw). For those that like the living world mechanic this is a good one.

I wanted to include Shadow of Destiny/Memories but someone beat me to it. I recommend it as well.

I'll add more if people are interested.

Last edited:
Evolution was one of my first RPGs I purchased when I discovered I liked the genre, and I really liked it. I don't think it stacks up against Skies or Grandia 2, which I played later, but it wasn't bad at all.

Got it used along with a copy of Shenmue, which was recommended as an action RPG. Took me a while to get into that one, but once I did...

Last edited:
No One Lives Forever (and to a lesser extent, its sequel). My favorite first person shooter, with one of the all time great female protagonists; if it were made today it would be seen as pushing some kind of agenda but it's probably the most "feminist" game I've ever played (in a good way). It's a spy game set in the swinging 60's and if you like Goldeneye and especially Perfect Dark, you owe it to yourself to play it.

No One Lives Forever (and to a lesser extent, its sequel). My favorite first person shooter, with one of the all time great female protagonists; if it were made today it would be seen as pushing some kind of agenda but it's probably the most "feminist" game I've ever played (in a good way). It's a spy game set in the swinging 60's and if you like Goldeneye and especially Perfect Dark, you owe it to yourself to play it.

No One Lives Forever on the pc was great. the story, characters and weapons were awesome. there seemed to be a tone of great pc games back around 2000/2001

i tried playing the second game back in the day but my pc was crappy and couldnt play it lol

Evolution: World of Sacred Device and its sequel, Far off Promise. They were Dreamcast RPG's, but I think they had a compilation release on the Gamecube too.

Beautiful little games. I wish Sting would have carried on developing more entries but alas, it was not meant to be.
I don't usually see people recommending these. I had both back in the day (I guess I still technically have them). I think I played a fair amount of the first one, but for some reason, I bought the sequel before finishing it, moved on to the sequel, and then never finished either of them.

Of those you listed, I still have to play, EGG; I started it (literally, just the opening scene), then went to Italy the next week, in 2014; haven't gone back to it since lol.
EGG is so absurdly good. I highly recommend it. The 3D arena battles are pretty janky, but otherwise, it's super great. Hardly anyone seems to even know it exists.

Unquestionably my favorite game on the Super Nintendo. Great choice.

I could probably fill an entire thread with underrated games, but I'll just go with one, for now:

Dungeon Explorer for the Sega CD. It's essentially Westone's--I could really add any number of games from the Moster World series here, too--take on the Gauntlet formula, while building on Atlus' Dungeon Explorer blueprint. It is not for the faint of heart; It pretty much laughs in the face of anyone asking for "quality of life" features. However, its great maze designs and environments, a nice selection job classes, surprisingly marvelous ending, and a soundtrack that might actually make you believe in this crazy Red Book audio CD format add up to what's potentially my favorite game on the Sega CD.

All right, I lied. Just one more:

Surging Aura on the Japanese Mega Drive. I don't think this is really accessible for most people in the West, but even in Japan it's pretty unknown. Which sucks, because I would probably say it's the best JRPG for the Mega Drive (although Rent-A-Hero, and Madou Monogatari I are also pretty great), if I didn't count Sega CD games. The overworld graphics are pretty much the same as Phantasy Star IV, but I enjoyed the story in Surging Aura much more. Also, the combat is a bit more involved, since it's pretty much ATB, and heavily element-based. I remember the final boss rush being a real rush (exhilarating) because almost every one of them would have slaughtered me if buffs/debuffs weren't as effective as they are here. I don't really remember much of the music, but in general Surging Aura is just way too well made for it to be so obscure.

Does Surging Aura require a guide?

I believe I looked into it in the past and refrained from picking it up, due to it not having a guide...

I think most of what I like now has either become popular in recent years or has at least got a cult following of some kind. I guess I’ll just say I’d probably still be able to enjoy Earth Defense Force 2017 today without all the fancy stuff in the newer games. Maybe not as much but there’s something to be said for simplicity.

Syphon Filter: The omega strain

It's a great game but everybody bullshited it because you are not playing with Gabe Logan

Syphon Filter it's a great ps1-ps2 saga and should return with remakes.

267744550002201.jpg

Reactions: red
Does Surging Aura require a guide?

I believe I looked into it in the past and refrained from picking it up, due to it not having a guide...
Yeah, it probably does, but I'd be interested in hearing from someone who's tried it without really knowing the language. It's relatively linear, so I think it's probably possible to bumble through the quest without knowing what's going on. The main challenge is probably the combat, since it's active time, and the main character has so many different skills, most of which are pretty essential. Without being able to read them, and what they do, I think it could be a struggle to get very far.

Not retro, but definitely underrated -- Primordia is the best point-and-click 3rd person adventure game of the last decade. Amazing world and VA.

I'll toss 3 more to the pile if you guys wanna try some exotic ones:

- Akiba's Trip

People have said that this is like the geeky parody of Yakuza. From what I've played, it's not too far off the remark. It's a nice "Anime" tourism sandbox of the city epicenter of japan's nerdom culture(A real place in real life). It's on Steam[PC].

-The Utawarerumono Bundle

A tatical rpg with a very well written narrative. The second half of the game has me on the edge majority of the times.

-Soul Nomad

This is like Advance War/Yggdra Union+Dragon Force(Sega Saturn) Strategy RPG on steroids.

Another game I see people always overlook is FUSE on the PS3/Xbox 360:
fuseps3ex.JPG
In someways it's a very generic 3rd Person Action/Shooter, but the cool thing is you can play 4-Player Co-op online! It also has some of the best controls for an Online 3rd Person Actioln/Shooter game that I can think of. The game features 5/6 Levels but each level is a good 2 hours long. It features a lot of fun Sci-Fi Weaponary & Each character has their own progression system & Set of unique skills. I honestly don't know why this game wasn't a hit - It's still online and dirt cheap so if you're looking for a game to play with friends consider it :)

Interesting Topic.

I would would vote for Deep Fear on the Saturn

and Carrier for the Dreamcast

Both games were ridiculed as generic Resident Evil clone by the contemporary gaming press.

That is especially hilarious because Resident Evil was just a better Alone the Dark clone.

You can argue that both games could not match some of the entries in the RE series but at least for me they are almost as good as the RE games.

Of course they use some core gameplay elements of the Resident Evil Series including the atrocious voice acting but they offer enough new stuff to be seen as a worthy entry into the survival horror elm.

Let me elaborate a bit:

In Deep Fear you do not have the item management problem. The puzzles make sense. The oxygen system adds tension to gameplay. Unlike Resident Evil you can run while you shoot.

in Carrier the scanning feature for enemies give the game some extra horror elements. The scanner is also used to see if a person is hostile or not. They have even included invisible enemies.

The love for details is also striking. If you walk over the corpse of an dispatched enemy you leave some bloody footsteps for a short time.

All in All these 2 games might not match RE in all aspects but there are still very good survival horror games that every survival horror game should check out.

It is really time that some horror games get some love that are not RE, SH or Dino Crisis games.

Last edited:
Deep Fear was amazing. I preferred it to the original Resident Evil in a few ways. Like how it was set underwater. The oxygen system. And the soundtrack was better too.
The voice acting was a bit naff but otherwise it was a fantastic title.

I will need to splurge on a copy, but I have to get it; it looks awesome and a wholly-Sega game? Hell yes.

Yeah Deep Fear is a great entry in the 32 bit era . The soundtrack is great. It is way more cinematic than the orginal Resident Evil. Many nice CGG scenes through the entire storyline.

And although the voice acting is off the whole story and the presentation is way less cringy than RE. 1.

I will need to splurge on a copy, but I have to get it; it looks awesome and a wholly-Sega game? Hell yes.

They aren't cheap! Copies are actually pricier than Panzer Dragoon Saga these days :LOL:

Back