Unearthing one of Sakuragaoka's Best Kept Secrets?

James Brown

Administrator
Today I posted a guest post over on PhantomRiverStone.com regarding a little discovery / theory I made about Sakuragaoka, and more specifically an unknown location that had been removed from the main game. From files found in the game, and general layout clues, there was an area that was purposely closed off in the main game that Switch actually did an indepth article on "Where Did the Road Past Sumiya-san's House Originally Lead?".
rect1160 (1).png

Leading on from this post, I discuss my thought process behind my theory...and it would be great to know everyones opinions on this...Do you think that what I suggested matches up?

Please check out the post :blush::

Shenmue Theory: Sakuragaoka's Best-Kept Secret | Guest Post by James Brown

Sakura 3.png

Today I posted a guest post over on PhantomRiverStone.com regarding a little discovery / theory I made about Sakuragaoka, and more specifically an unknown location that had been removed from the main game. From files found in the game, and general layout clues, there was an area that was purposely closed off in the main game that Switch actually did an indepth article on "Where Did the Road Past Sumiya-san's House Originally Lead?".
View attachment 11069

Leading on from this post, I discuss my thought process behind my theory...and it would be great to know everyones opinions on this...Do you think that what I suggested matches up?

Please check out the post :blush::

Shenmue Theory: Sakuragaoka's Best-Kept Secret | Guest Post by James Brown

View attachment 11068
amazing i really think your theory is true , nice found

Your post and video on the Hazuki Residence’s Cherry Tree was absolutely brilliant and I think your idea has a lot of credence and fits in nicely.

I am curious James how you square this with supposed update Switch received with his original post?
Update: we received a reply on Twitter from one of the former Shenmue developers regarding this mystery, who stated that nothing had been planned for this location. Thank you to @Mazin__ for the reply, which is most intriguing - and opens up more questions! Personally it will be hard for me to throw away the idea of Ryo having attended high school there!
As we know so many things changed throughout it’s development, so I know their reply may not be definitive but that footage you alluded to was in Shenmue premier so I would think they would be at least familiar with it if that was it’s intended purpose/original location?

Your post and video on the Hazuki Residence’s Cherry Tree was absolutely brilliant and I think your idea has a lot of credence and fits in nicely.

I am curious James how you square this with supposed update Switch received with his original post?

As we know so many things changed throughout it’s development, so I know their reply may not be definitive but that footage you alluded to was in Shenmue premier so I would think they would be at least familiar with it if that was it’s intended purpose/original location?
Yes, a tricky one, it’s the creditbility of one developer’s recollection I guess. Also, he could have simply meant that this area had no plan in terms of the final release, and they possibly used it as the tree area earlier on, but found no purpose for it. The other reality would be that they just designed a path that led to nothing...which seems strange, or they created this large open area full of Cherry Trees just for the premiere footage and it wasn’t linked to anywhere. The lore and how it looks just seems to add up to me, but I guess we’ll never know for sure! 🤷‍♂️

If Shenmue Chapter One: Yoksuka ever gets a remake, this is something I would love to experience. Maybe it can be portrayed as a romantic moment between Nozomi and Ryo or a hidden spot where Iwao and Ryo trained. Perhaps it can even be retconned back into the story if Ryo ever returns to Japan to maybe start his dojo or share a moment with Shenhua.

It's amazing that even to this day that the first Shenmue game has a wealth of detail that is yet to be discovered. Excellent hypothesis @James Brown! I hope it turns out to be true. Also, if Shenmue Chapter One: Yokosuka ever does get a remake, I hope it expands on the detail and lore. Since it's that rich cultural lore that is so fascinating to me!

P.S. Also, if it is a romantic moment between Nozomi and Ryo, I hope she'll be wearing this as she looks absolutely beautiful in it.nozomi-cg.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent post! What I wouldn't give to have some of these demo builds leak someday...

Back