Unreal Engine 5

Very impressive.
In S4 interest, my first hope is the optimization part: number of displayed NPCs, fluidity improvement, freedom of creation and tweaking. The rest is bonus.

Probably the most significant technological leap in a game engine I've seen since the jump from 2D to 3D. Billions of polys, real time GI, and film quality assets is amazing not just for games, but how VFX in general will be approached. I can only imagine how big the scope of TV shows and indie movies will get because of this. Being able to import a 33 M poly mesh from zbrush directly and then to have 500 of them in a room? Speechless.

Water simulation still looks like shit though.

(EDIT) It's pretty safe to rule out S4 using this engine though...

Seeing as the team had such trouble learning to use UE4 for S3 (their own admission, not my criticism), it would be asinine to try and learn UE5 -- cost, learning time involved, and so on-- for S4.

That said, this looks delicious. (It better be used in the next version of Monopoly; I wanna see Ventnor Avenue pop!)

Looks stunning. Wonder if they would use this? Maybe costs and learning it will be too much?

@LemonHaze what's your thoughts on Unreal 5?

(EDIT) It's pretty safe to rule out S4 using this engine though...

Why do you say that? (Not trolling, just genuinely curious as i'm not a technical person)

I don't think i've been wowed with graphics since the move to HD, but watching that video was impressive. What I got out of it was how smooth it all was. One of my favourite things about Shenmue III was the lighting and the use of colour, so imagining that with UE5 would be impressive.

I take it that moving from one UE to the next is not as simple as it sounds?

Why do you say that? (Not trolling, just genuinely curious as i'm not a technical person)

I don't think i've been wowed with graphics since the move to HD, but watching that video was impressive. What I got out of it was how smooth it all was. One of my favourite things about Shenmue III was the lighting and the use of colour, so imagining that with UE5 would be impressive.

I take it that moving from one UE to the next is not as simple as it sounds?
It would depend on 2 things:
1. How easily everything ports over; things tend to break just by changing versions of UE4 (so going from 4.24 to 4.25 for instance), most games lock down after a certain point in development even if the engine gets updated for this reason.

2. Art assets. This is specifically designed to basically handle raw geometric data which means that everything that's set up in S3 will need to be completely re-imported and set up again from scratch and, depending on how everything was modeled, likely won't have the detail level that would merit the upgrade. UE5 is pushing film quality assets and people thought S3 failed to live up to the standards of this gen, so it likely won't be worth it for them.

It's also worth mentioning that as soon as you increase quality to a certain level (much less this level) everything else needs to match. Could you imagine how out of place the facial animation and stiff movement would look if everything else was basically photo real?

Suzuki must be on cloud 9 looking at that. No doubt he'll want to do something not seen before, before anyone else does.

Shenmue 4 could be very interesting....

Good thing he is at least on Epic's radar after giving them a big exclusive, even if many of us thought that an unwise union...

It would depend on 2 things:
1. How easily everything ports over; things tend to break just by changing versions of UE4 (so going from 4.24 to 4.25 for instance), most games lock down after a certain point in development even if the engine gets updated for this reason.

2. Art assets. This is specifically designed to basically handle raw geometric data which means that everything that's set up in S3 will need to be completely re-imported and set up again from scratch and, depending on how everything was modeled, likely won't have the detail level that would merit the upgrade. UE5 is pushing film quality assets and people thought S3 failed to live up to the standards of this gen, so it likely won't be worth it for them.

It's also worth mentioning that as soon as you increase quality to a certain level (much less this level) everything else needs to match. Could you imagine how out of place the facial animation and stiff movement would look if everything else was basically photo real?

Much obliged and it makes sense. I wonder if Shenmue IV were to be on Epic Games Store if YsNet would get a discount, same as using UE4? I'm sure Suzuki must be looking at this with great interest.

But to be honest, if it's easier to simply use UE4, then it's probably better to stick with that.

I wonder if Shenmue IV were to be on Epic Games Store if YsNet would get a discount, same as using UE4?
In my experience, Epic offers buyouts for exclusivity and a discount on the percentage they take for using Unreal Engine, both of which need to be negotiated by the publisher unless YsNet has an existing relationship with Epic.

I'm sure Suzuki must be looking at this with great interest.
While I would love to see a Shenmue game using this engine, I don't think it's reasonable to think S4 would be a good fit considering that it's going to be exclusive to next gen hardware and ultra-high-end PCs (to say nothing of the development time). The games most likely to make use of this technology are games with lucrative Sony, Microsoft, and Epic contracts, at least for the foreseeable future.

But to be honest, if it's easier to simply use UE4, then it's probably better to stick with that.
Having an existing engine that's already been play tested is massively attractive to publishers because the initial cost is drastically reduced. Unsure if YsNet is going with DS again, self publishing, or what but there are massive benefits to sticking with what works. Anything short of Sony writing Suzuki a blank cheque like Sega did in the 90s makes being an early adopter a very risky prospect.

I really don't want to change engines this deep into development, but man, that demo really got me a semi.
Specially since unity has been on such a shitty limbo for too long right now.

If he make shenmue 4 he will use ue5 for sure since ue4 project will be easy to port to ue5

Good thing he is at least on Epic's radar after giving them a big exclusive, even if many of us thought that an unwise union...

Maybe Suzuki sniffed out they were announcing UE5 soon and that was his reason for going Epic exclusive lol

Back