Unreal Engine 5

Sorry, what ? In what world ?
It sounds absurd, but thinking about it now, I actually find myself agreeing with him outside of animations and particle effects (not that Shenmue really had those kinds of effects). S3 has far better environments and textures imo, and while most the NPCs are kind of frumpy, the hyper-generic NPCs in FF7R might actually be worse. Tifa looks really good, but so does Niao... :oops:

I assume they are referring to awful streaming issues and extremely low texture quality the game suffers at times.

I mean, if we're to talk about streaming issues, we should talk about the abysmal npc draw distance in Niaowu.

It sounds absurd, but thinking about it now, I actually find myself agreeing with him outside of animations and particle effects (not that Shenmue really had those kinds of effects). S3 has far better environments and textures imo, and while most the NPCs are kind of frumpy, the hyper-generic NPCs in FF7R might actually be worse. Tifa looks really good, but so does Niao... :oops:

Nah, not really. While FFVIIR has areas where it looks poor... The areas where it looks great are a grade above Shenmue III. Of course, they also had a far bigger team and budget. Hence why I dont think it's necessary to have such hyperbolic comments.

The textures is an Unreal thing. Happens quite a bit in Fallen Order for example.

Even on the PC version of Shenmue III which is much better for NPC pop in it happens. But yes FFR doesn't have it as badly at all.

I wouldn't say the user is being hyperbolic but expressing a love for the environments in comparison to FFR that's all, maybe could have been expressed a bit better?

Sorry, what ? In what world ?

The NPC pop in is really the only issue Shenmue 3 has in terms of UE4 issues.
Any other 'issues' fall under art style approach (like the odd use of them hiring two different art designers who had conflicting art styles)

That aside, I've obviously played both games as many here have; and the background textures in Shenmue 3 do not suffer the same low poly low texture stream issue FF VIIR does.

I even did a funny screenshot comparison of Shenmue 3's toilet bowl texture vs FF VII R's (Shinra HQ bathroom), and Shenmue 3's toilet was much more detailed.

Also

The food and items around the food in Shenmue 3 are also overall in much higher detail than FF VII R's.
I also did side by side comparisons. FF VIIR's not even on par with Shenmue 3's in that regard.

Of course we know in Shenmue 3 there is far less clone NPCs but thats the nature of the series.
Whereas of course with FF VIIR, there are clone NPCs everywhere. I noticed one looked like the actress Ruby Rose lol.

And then theres the environment textures yeah; the streaming/loading issues with FF VIIR are terrible. Mostly in the slums.
Some textures literally looked like they came out of a PS1 game it was so bad.
I recall Aerith's house some of the kitchen items looks like PS1 items texture wise.
I even recall a Sector 7 slum shop keeper's store and his shops textures would not load at all fully; would be completely blurry.
Reminded me of last gen's Alpha Protocol rpg game by SEGA which also had texture loading problems and ran on UE3.

Which was odd to me seeing as how FF VIIR wasnt an open world game and its size was pretty much the same size as Shenmue 3 (pushing 100gb)

I did notice though that these issues werent prevalent in the first bombing mission and right after it when the it exploded and you were running from Shinra troops in the streets at night. Not sure why that was; maybe more closed in areas lead to less streaming issues? Noticed the same improvement later on after chapter 15 when you went inside Shinra HQ: even the Shinra cafeteria food textures got a major quality boost all of a sudden.

They even used a static skybox effect for when you were on the plate tower looking down at the slums. Dunno what their aim was with that. PS1 static FMV nostalgic? No clue.

Where FF VIIR shines is its main character models, particle effects, and animation.

But even Days Gone, which also runs on UE4, and was a true open world game, also suffered early on with streaming texture issues but they had an early patch which actually sorted all that out.

Great news. Kinda confirms 4 is not in active development though, could still be in pre-production phase?
Makes sense given the previous interview stated he thinks he will be able to make it and we're just over 6 months out from Shenmue III's release. I'd be impressed if we hear anything this year regarding 4, hell maybe not until summer 2021.

Great news. Kinda confirms 4 is not in active development though, could still be in pre-production phase?

Well, no not exactly. I would say its safe to assume that a percentage of Shenmue IV will have been worked on, and perhaps even completed to standard, based on various facts including cut content from III, the fact that he knew 4 would be a risky proposition for investors (makes it easier to say, here is X percent already done) etc. His style can be seen with the first 2 Shenmue games, where so much content was created, that 2 was churned out within 2 years of the original, due to it already being developed to a certain extent. I would say the same goes for Shenmue III and IV.
With Unreal 5 still a year away, I wouldn't bank on that engine being used for Shenmue IV. Or even V. It would be great, but it would be the third jump in art style and graphical detail that I would say that the series will have completely lost its identity in that regard.

But aside from that, bear in mind that Yu Suzuki has a portfolio of games he wants to make, and isn't tied exclusively to the Shenmue series. Of course wants to finish the saga, but he also wants to create other games, and does have some ideas. It is possible that one of these games could be in development, and released before Shenmue IV or Shenmue V, and in a way... it might be good for him to step away from Shenmue. It's all he has been tortured with for over 20 years now, and I'd say on some level, stretching out and making other games would be a breath of fresh air for the man. Especially with new tech such as UE5.

But it's great news that he has seen the tech and is interested in using it at some point.

Thanks for sharing the in information. It is a good thing that Yu-San is interested in the new engine. With his big knowledge about programming I am sure he will be a able to do impressive stuff.

But we should keep our expectations in check. I would not see that as a confirmation that his next game is going to use UE 5. Let alone if there is a new game already in the works.

I don't think S4 is currently in the works, apart pre-production and the S3 cut content that we hope will be included in 4.

But since it should be easy tu update from UE4 to UE5, since the new generation of console approaching (in any case they should learn the new techs), and the fact that this new engine will help to lower the amount of work on 3D models, I think there is a high chance to see Shenmue 4 or 5 with UE5, specially if YSNet will continue to receive help from Epic Games.

Well, no not exactly. I would say its safe to assume that a percentage of Shenmue IV will have been worked on, and perhaps even completed to standard, based on various facts including cut content from III, the fact that he knew 4 would be a risky proposition for investors (makes it easier to say, here is X percent already done) etc. His style can be seen with the first 2 Shenmue games, where so much content was created, that 2 was churned out within 2 years of the original, due to it already being developed to a certain extent. I would say the same goes for Shenmue III and IV.
With Unreal 5 still a year away, I wouldn't bank on that engine being used for Shenmue IV. Or even V. It would be great, but it would be the third jump in art style and graphical detail that I would say that the series will have completely lost its identity in that regard.

But aside from that, bear in mind that Yu Suzuki has a portfolio of games he wants to make, and isn't tied exclusively to the Shenmue series. Of course wants to finish the saga, but he also wants to create other games, and does have some ideas. It is possible that one of these games could be in development, and released before Shenmue IV or Shenmue V, and in a way... it might be good for him to step away from Shenmue. It's all he has been tortured with for over 20 years now, and I'd say on some level, stretching out and making other games would be a breath of fresh air for the man. Especially with new tech such as UE5.

But it's great news that he has seen the tech and is interested in using it at some point.
I believe he secured the funds for Shenmue 4 in the deal with Epic because he presented them with work that had already been done in advance during Shenmue 3's development, that's why Baisha was cut off from Shenmue 3.
Has for UE5 they already confirmed that developers will be able to easily port their work in UE4 to UE5 and from what I've seen with will be much easier for small teams to developt their games specialy when it comes to porting 3D models from other 3D model software programs and since UE5 is more of an upgrade of UE4 I believe that the artstyle can be easily maintained from Shenmue 3 to 4. My opinion is that this engine is a blessing considering that it is free and that it will allow Shenmue 4 to enter nextgen on PS5. Its a win win for Ysnet, Yu Suzuki and all the fans.

It would be strange if Suzuki wasn't interested :D

Hope he can make it real, Shenmue 4 with UE5... :love:
Isn't it strange for Yu Suzuki and YsNet not to use all the work that they had already done in Shenmue 3 if it weren't for them to secure Shenmue 4. I believe that if he didn't have that in his pocket that he had gone All In in Shenmue 3. Maybe even some story elements were cut off from Shenmue 3 to be implemented in Shenmue 4. I'm trying to be cautious but my this is what my gut feeling tells me. Also I don't think he is working on other games because is not in his 40's or 50's; if he doesn't uses the chance to finish is lifes work now that he has the chance, he may never will.

Makes sense given the previous interview stated he thinks he will be able to make it and we're just over 6 months out from Shenmue III's release. I'd be impressed if we hear anything this year regarding 4, hell maybe not until summer 2021.
Hideki Sasaki - Kojima Production

"Nanite and Lumen were particularly good presentations. These two technologies not only dramatically improve the graphics quality, but also give the artist a future where they can focus on more creative work."

Let's hope Yu Suzuki can put it to good work in Shenmue 4 🤩 🤞

Back