Unused Japanese voice clips in PS4 update of Shenmue II?

Favourite title
Shenmue II
I've found something interesting with the Japanese voices in the PS4 update that I thought I'd share in case anyone didn't notice.

You know that scene where Wong and those two boys eat ice cream at the beginning of the game if you fail too many QTE's after the marble QTE? Well, I've played both the original Japanese Dreamcast and PAL versions of the game, and after Wong says "You owe that Japanese guy for this!", no one speaks in those versions. But in the English Xbox version they added an extra line with the kid that plays darts with the orange shirt saying "Let's eat some more!". I played the PS4 version with Japanese voices when it first released and no one spoke in that part like in the original. But, with the PS4 update, they added another Japanese voice clip after Wong's line which sounds like a deep masculine voice! Idk if that's supposed to be the kid with the white shirt's line, since he never spoke and we know how the darts kid sounds like, but I've played the original Japanese Dreamcast version several times and definitely no one spoke after Wong's line. I get that scene on purpose in every playthrough. They also added a extra grunt voice clip in that voice when the boys fail miserably at trying to stop Ryo from catching Wong.

This leads me to wonder... is this an unused line in the Japanese dub that they decided to add into the game?

I have the updated scene uploaded on YouTube here:

The scene is at 10:18 and the time stamp ih the description.

I'm not sure I've ever seen that ice cream scene before! I usually find Wong in Pigeon Park. What do you have to do to find him in that location instead? Is it because it's nighttime?

I'm not sure I've ever seen that ice cream scene before! I usually find Wong in Pigeon Park. What do you have to do to find him in that location instead? Is it because it's nighttime?
I believe it's because the person playing failed the initial QTE chase at Pigeon Park. Instead of making you redo the QTE, the game branches into a different path where you have to search for Wong again.

Haha, nice find! It does really seem like they hastily added that line in with a completely different actor. There's a similar change in the HD version of Shenmue I, but involves changing a line rather than adding any - when the Heartbeats owner tells you about Charlie, originally in the Japanese voicetrack he is heard specifically referring to Charlie's bike as a Harley, but in the HD version a recording of a different actor saying 'Americanubiku' is awkwardly spliced in :p

Jibby is correct. Failing the scenes during the bag scene gives you several different extra scenes. Like failing the marble QTE will give you an extra cutscene with Wong, then failing too many QTE's after the marble QTE will give you the ice cream scene. Then failing the QTE when jumping the fence will give you a scene with a guard telling you to get down and Wong will get away.

There's also two different Sam and Larry fights for failing the Wong chase or losing the first fight with them (which even failing the first fight will give you an extra/alternate cutscene). One's at the Lai Lai Eatery, then failing that will give you a fight with them at Pigeon Park. Then failing that will give you a cutscene with Ryo attacking Cool J (Cool Z in English) and Wong also buys some Virtua Fighter capsule toys in that scene. Then Wong finally gives up and shows you where your bag is.

Last edited:
Back