Update #85: Survey Info #2: $7M stretch goal reached!

It's not just Deep Silver who is financing Shenmue 3. Shibuya Productions has raised also significant capital. Additionally, the local Japanese publisher (most likely Spike Chunsoft) will also be contributing to the game's funding.

I'd estimate the final numbers for Shenmue 3 development to be somewhere in the range of $12.5 Million - $15 Million.

Ah yes an oversight in my post but I'd not forgotten them.

It's likely we will never know the true budget. $12m-$15m is realistic I'd say. Also I wonder what YSNET have put in financially.

Why would you say they are a likely publisher?

My personal hunch is Spike Chunsoft due to their strong relationship with Deep Silver - though it could also be Marvelous or Atlus. I have my doubts about Atlus though as they are a subsidiary of Sega and so it doesn't make much sense.

i think SEGA would take the helm as a publisher for the game in Japan & the whole Asian territory.
there is no reason why they won't. yes they had nothing to do first (aside from licensing the IP) but they could join later to support the localization for Asia. it's not really a risky move or anything specially since they are behind the SI&II re-releases right now.

the paypal campaign will most likely close around 7.2 million (7.3 would be considered as an amazing push)
but i highly believe the entire planned stretch goals up to the 10 million mark are already covered by Deepsilver's injection. this will just further assure a polished product.

as for the budget of Shenmue III my estimation would be about $15 million or more. (production only)
at least 5.5 million from Kickstarter/paypal
at least 3 million from Shibuya
at least 5 million from Deepsilver
at least 2 million from Ys Net, the Asian distributor, SONY and other unknown investors.

Last edited:
I just wanted to quicky bring this point across regarding the perceived lack of development budget for Shenmue 3.

If the game ends up with a $15 Million budget (development only), it will have a larger budget than many other notable titles including (inflation adjusted):

- Resident Evil 1, 2, 3 & Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
- Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and the new Shadow of the Colossus Remake
- Fatal Frame 1,2,3 and the Fatal Frame remake for Wii
- The original Splinter Cell for Xbox
- Silent Hill 3
- Max Payne & Max Payne 2
- JRPG’s including Vagrant Story, Fragile Dreams, Exist Archive, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, Eternal Sonata, Radiata Stories, etc
- All of the DOA Xtreme Volleyball games
- Siren: Blood Curse
- Haunting Ground
- Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes
- Metroid Prime 1 & 2 for Game Cube

And many, many other titles.

Last edited:
I just wanted to quicky bring this point across regarding the perceived lack of development budget for Shenmue 3.

If the game ends up with a $15 Million budget (development only), it will have a larger budget than many other notable titles including:

- Resident Evil 1, 2, 3
- Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and the new Shadow of the Colossus Remake
- Fatal Frame 1,2,3 and the Fatal Frame remake for Wii
- The original Splinter Cell for Xbox
- Silent Hill 3
- Max Payne & Max Payne 2
- JRPG’s including Vagrant Story, Fragile Dreams, Exist Archive, Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, Radiata Stories, etc
- All of the DOA Xtreme Volleyball games
- Siren: Blood Curse
- Haunting Ground

And many, many other titles.

I didnt realise the resident evils had such a small budget in comparison. Interesting.

We also have to consider within the budget that was raised by us that some of it has to go to kick starter fees and producing rewards so it doesn't all go on production .

I'm interested to see how Sega monitor Shenmue 3 upon release. If they came in on a potential 4th game then it could be huge. The initial pre order figures of the originals took Sega by surprise so if 3 does well they could well come on board properly again.

Shibuya must have a lot of financial backing as well. The partner you never hear about is some kind of biotech engineer/inventor.

https://www.activ5.com/team/

Kosta Yanev
Chairman
Kosta Yanev is the inventor of Activbody’s exercise system and the company’s founder. Kosta is a nuclear physicist and holds a PhD in computer science. He has worked at CERN in Switzerland and has founded and launched numerous successful businesses including FTSAM (airport development), Great Bear (GTBR), Company for Energy Saving (JV with RWE – Germany), DONTNOD Entertainment (Paris), Shibuya Productions (Monaco) and now Activbody.

I have no idea what any of that means as far as Shenmue is concerned, but I do think someone like that must be very well connected.

Last edited:
For some reason it wont let me select add-ons. It says i need to upload a file, but i have filled in my survey in its entirety with everything uploaded

upped my pledge yesterday for two digital copies as there is no available high tier rewards that i want since i am already having them all.
i was hoping for that patron reward since it's not a limited reward but no luck. :(

While I understand it’s going to use a new combat system, I just don’t want it too easy like the Arkham games but still not too technical like in Virtua Fighter. I am positive Suzuki and this system can find that balance for all players.

We're on the last week people... wild to think it's coming to an end but tremendously excited to see where it goes from here on :)

I originally pledged at the $300 tier on KickStarter with physical PS4 disc. I would have loved to back at the $500 tier but couldn't. Now, what I plan to do is make a slacker backer donation @$60 to get the physical PC version. So, I am in the US, when exactly does the slacker backer end? Do they have and exact time? Like should I order the night before... I'm just trying to extend when I have to pay to help myself out haha.

13th August but not sure on the time. Order the day before to be safe and I'm sure you will be fine

13th August but not sure on the time. Order the day before to be safe and I'm sure you will be fine
Does this apply also to add ons or that is for September? For example, if I want to add to my regular Kickstarter back another physical copy, when is the deadline for that?

Does this apply also to add ons or that is for September? For example, if I want to add to my regular Kickstarter back another physical copy, when is the deadline for that?

30th September all surveys close.

13th August is when the final surveys go to backers and the slacker backer shuts.
That's the last date you can do upgrades etc. Again I'm not sure of the time it closes so worth doing ahead of time.

Last edited:
Back