Update 87: Survey Info #4: Slacker Backer, Reward Upgrade/Add-on Campaigns Extended!

I've said it so many times. For years now. For your own mental sanity, stop clinging to every major gaming event to hang all your hopes on. If it's not Gamescom, it's TGS. If it's not TGS, it's PSX, if it's not PSX then it's E3.

I expect nothing at Gamescom. You should too, it then saves disappointment. This game is being made. It's looking great from the screenshot they had a little while back. Practice your Wude and let them make the game.

Gotta echo Peter, you can't chase something you can't catch. in your specific case @tino you are often really concerned about a lot of things. Remember that this is 2018, and we should be thankful we even get news this granular. Remember 1994? when the only info you had on an upcoming game was a magazine's short text blurb and some muddy photos of CRT TV's showing nondistinct "gameplay?." Relax friend, making a video game takes an exceedingly long time.

I want that Yu Suzuki capule toy IRL so bad.

Buy a copy of the rereleases. Play the shit out of it. Play it some more. Forget about Shenmue III for a few months, and trust Yu to deliver the goods when the time is right.

I’m already buyed some copies of Shenmue 1&2 haha (I’ll try to fill all the notebook entries in this playthrough, so it will take a long time).

I’m not worried about the release of Shenmue 3, I expect the game on the second half of 2019. I just think they’ll have a world on his back after the rerelease and the fighting screenshot of Update 85.

It’s hard for me to believe there’s been 87 updates sheesh.

This is great news! It was going to be tight for me to upgrade before the original deadline, now I have more breathing room to save up.

Makes sense as Peter said regarding paychecks, plus someone else about riding HDs hype for donations.

Additionally, it is an extra 9 or 10 days for contributions assuming they show something at Gamescom. I dont expect it this late in the game, but you never know.

I wonder how close we are to reaching the $7.5 million stretch goal. The email made it sound like it was within reach. Only time will tell. I can only imagine that the campaign was extended so that the people who play the first two games for the first time can decide to pledge to part 3 before it's too late. Good news!

I remember when Shenmue 3 wasn't at E3 and I was disappointed, the 'optimists' said it "wasn't the right venue, Shenmue 3 will be at Gamescom". I sarcastically said that when it turns out it isn't going to be shown at Gamescom either that they will make more excuses again and will be saying the same thing, to wait for PSX etc. Funny, it seems I was right haha.

I can understand people's frustrations to be fair. At the end of the day, people invested substantial amounts of money into this. If we are to believe that the game will really be released next year, then I do think we need to start seeing gameplay and teasers/trailers soon.

So I guess what I'm saying is I understand being pragmatic and patient, but I do hope we see something soon.

The presumably first capsule toy we're witnessing from Shenmue 3 (I wish)... There may be more polygons within that 3d model than the Dreamcast ones have ever had!

I'm not expecting anything at Gamescom anymore either, but for a different reason.

I think the full priced game will probably be a normal $59.99 USD like most games, so the slacker backer campaign is basically offering it at a 50% discount. After the slacker backer campaign has ended, pre-orders will be going through normal retailers at full price, which is how Deep Silver is going to make back their investment. The previous end date was right before Gamescom, which I had considered as an indication that they might have a new trailer at Gamecom and since Deep Silver is responsible for promotion now they'd want any interest caused by said trailer to funneled into full-priced pre-orders that they can profit from.

Now that the date was pushed back I don't think there will be new media for that reason. In the end Deep Silver will want to maximize their investment and I don't think they'll want to show anything major until they can fully benefit from the potential additional sales. Slacker backers make up less than 8% of the sales numbers they probably hope to achieve, I don't think Shenmue I & II will bump it that much.

This is all conjecture of course, but either way I'm not expecting new video footage until after slacker backer closes. I would love to be wrong.

Shenmue 3 will be at Gamescom, hence why they decided to proceed with the delay for fundraising.
It's that kind of attitude that leads to disappointment.
You're free to think that, but if you're going to be so certain then I don't want to see any angry posts in the case of a no show.

Whether Shenmue III is at Gamescom 2018 or not is really irrelevant...

After seeing the most recent video enhancements, I’m content until Gamescom 2020, if need be...

Look at this beauty...

Have faith in Yu-san and company...

They’re Shenmue fans, too...

A lot of people are saying that it will not be at Gamescom. I tend to fall in that boat as well, but I've been thinking.

The last time it was announced to be at Gamescom ended up being a rushed trailer of old footage to attempt some oomph to the DS partnership. It ended up almost backfiring with all the memes and attacks on the game quality, as no one knew about the rush job and the age of the footage til after the fact.

No announcement doesn't mean it won't be there. It lends no expectations to the quality or quantity of what is expected if it *is* there.

Deep Silver's hand has been seen in far more professional Kickstarter updates in recent months, so mayhaps they have wised up. RE2Make was rumored to be at E3, but it wasnt ever confirmed or announced, it just happened and the impact was all the better. Same with a few other games.

I find it hard pressed that they won't show anything in the midst of the hype train of 1 and 2 releasing, but we shall see. I'll not be disappointed.

Good decision to upgrade and extend the dates, from a press and communication point of view it makes a lot of sense. Even if we end up with nothing new on gamescom

Slacker Backer
Great idea to extend it, hopefully capitalizing on the Shenmue HD release.

Promo material/ trade shows/ etc/
Frankly, it would be great to see a “remastered” :) trailer sometime soon.
The footage we originally got was very cool, it was just a bit rough around the edges.

Literally take that same footage, polish it up with proper facial animations, updated graphics, etc, and everyone would be happy. Not to mention that it would probably be the ‘easiest’ option vs all others.

Stretch goals:
I understand how the campaign was structured, but, looking back on it now, it’s kind of sad to see that fundamental game mechanics were “stretched out” into milestones. I was hoping that with Deep Silver’s investments (among others) we would finally be able to get all the game mechanics, from the battle system to the magic maze, though that may not be the case after all.

(Unless of course they decide to make an announcement after the Slacker Backer closes. That would be awesome.)

Back