[VGC] Google Stadia backed out of deals for Yu Suzuki (and other devs like Hideo Kojima) to create exclusive games for Stadia

IF Shenmue 4 was to be an exclusive to Stadia, that would nearly be as bad as it can possibly get from my point of view.

Something like Stadia is something that I feel I will never get on board with. I have the internet to handle it, but I am always multitasking with my internet and I live with other people that are always online, so using something like Stadia to play video games is not something that would work out for me.

Stadia is also the death of modding and that is something I can never accept.

Last edited:
This is getting interesting

So... fake news?

Why would someone just make this up? Yu Suzuki isn't particularly transparent so we'll still never know if this was even a thing or how far conversations went if they occurred at all.

Wait, I've just scrolled through their channel and this appears to be a Stadio-specific channel. I didn't even know such a thing would exist. Are you familiar with this channel? Are they reliable or is it damage control?

So... fake news?

Why would someone just make this up? Yu Suzuki isn't particularly transparent so we'll still never know if this was even a thing or how far conversations went if they occurred at all.

Wait, I've just scrolled through their channel and this appears to be a Stadio-specific channel. I didn't even know such a thing would exist. Are you familiar with this channel? Are they reliable or is it damage control?
I honestly don't know, it was sent over to me by a friend who watches their stuff.

Thought it didn't add up when Google literally said like 3 days before that they folded their internal team, and will be focusing on third party connections and content to strengthen the platform going forward. VGC should get shat on for making shit up, but sadly (as that video points out), people will take it for the truth now, and even if they posted a retraction, no one would read/care about it... Hate that shit!

P.S - Also hate how the second paragraph of that quote spells "Yu Sazuki" wrong...

In terms of the article itself (which I've now read), the editor's note is correct in stating that they never claimed any project was in place with Yu or Kojima. Plus, it clearly says near the beginning that these are claims from sources.

The Google statement was also accurate though in pointing out that this is all hearsay, and can simply be an employee getting some facts wrong and leaking it in a very vague manner.

This kinda shit happens all the time, especially in football. It's lazy journalism, yes, but at the same time, is it really that big a story to spend a month investigating and looking like this guy?

1614690493879.png

Personally, I don't think so. But sometimes even rumours are worth reporting on, as it could lead to a more interesting story years down the line. If, for example, a Stadia successor takes the Internet by storm, a former employee could leak documents and concept images of some games that could have been. One Twitter user asks "Anything on the Kojima or Suzuki projects?" Ex-developer replies "Kojima was just discussions by email, but here are a few slides from the YsNet presentation. It was an interesting idea, but we decided to pass on it as it may have necessitated an extra peripheral." (Yes, Twitter has a higher character limit in the future)

Stories are good. They create intrigue, make for engaging discussions, and fuel the imagination. But, when it comes to reporting, the use of the word "alleged" and "according to" is very important. It's a much quicker way of writing "there's a chance this could be true, but take it with a pinch of salt."

Unfortunately, not many "proper" news outlets use this, and for all the utter bollocks they publish, it seems to be the one thing British newspapers consistently gets right.

It's just a shame that Yu can't seem to get on with what he wants to do. Everywhere he turns it's like "Shenmue or GTFO." Poor guy.

This is getting interesting

No idea who this guy is, but he's got my respect for keeping it real

That's exactly how modern day journalism operates. Both in the gaming media and in general. A complete shite show. I dont even watch or read the news anymore as they as i dont like sneaky, filtered biased info or bandwagon news or straight up lies. I also don't like fact-checking everything, so i avoid it. Youtube news is the same. Unethical and so much dishonestly and lazy work. Its no wonder everything in the world is deteriorating these days

Update:

Let me also say, I don't completely blame the journalist and news sites. The market, aka the majority of people out there demand outrage, hysterical and negative news to conform to whatever beliefs they hold. These organizations are giving them what they want as seen by the massive amounts money and profit in negative and phony news. If people weren't so obsessed with this type of news, and were for example, biased towards objective or positive news, the media would have to change their strategy as they would lose money. Plenty of examples like this in the real world news, but to keep it in context with the gaming news, the best example I can give is the entire Epic games BS. I have a gaming laptop now and use all the applications, There's nothing hysterical, wrong, evil or pitchfork worthy with any of them. You wouldn't think that reading some of the nonsense online though.

To give a more personal example related to Shenmue, I encourage all of you to track down Spaghetti's thread called "The shameful coverage of Shenmue 3" where he went through every article and proved a lot of the info was incorrect, misleading or straight-up lies and had a lot of journalists retract their statements. Even with that done and direct proof/evidence, he was still ridiculed in subsequent days and weeks by others who wanted outrage and hysteria and refused to look at the proof/evidence even when it was right there in front of their face

Nuts

Last edited:
I get what you're saying @Amir, but every example you stated was a company filling a gap in the market. PlayStation was a cheaper gaming system that played CDs, Microsoft was filling the space SEGA vacated (and at least some of the success the Xbox had was from this),

Nintendo's motion controls for the Wii brought in an entirely new audience, the Wii-U however was an example in how to make all the wrong decisions. The Switch was Wii-U if they'd got it right the first time.

And surely Steam only ended up where it did once Internet improved and they cornered enough of the market? They practically originated that shit, so knew what they were doing better than the majority of contenders to the throne.

Stadia meanwhile hasn't filled a gap at all. Everyone knew that MS was gonna reach for it, possibly Sony too. I mean, look, hindsight's 20/20 n all that, but they should've targeted YouTube as the platform that launched their sort-of console.

Imagine just giving it out to free for all their top money-making, Twitch-shunning game streamers. Now imagine that it was free with a YouTube Premium account (as it was for me) AS STANDARD. Then throw in a little feature where YouTube says "Oh, you like looking up videos on this game? Well here, why not fucking play it?"

A simple button in YouTube that launches the game people are watching someone livestream and marketing it like that would've been fucking genius. Hell, the controller could've been optional if they'd implemented touch controls on every Stadia title as standard.

Alas, even though they claimed it wasn't, it was marketed as a console of sorts, a competitor, and it just isn't that. Like the Wii-U, it's the victim of some poor choices. I do believe that a successor could defo do well, it just needs integration across the popular Google family of apps before it can stand on its own two feet.
Yeah, I don't disagree. I think Stadia's issue is the same as the one with the Dreamcast push for online play: the tech isn't there yet. Playing online was a great concept in 1999 but doing it on a 33.3K modem wasn't ideal. And in 2021 people all over the world are still dealing with shitty Internet speed and data caps. This is one of those cases where a product is developed in a Silicon Valley bubble where everyone in the bubble has unlimited fibre optic Internet and then wonders why their device that depends upon that isn't more popular outside the bubble.

Update: Google has told Games Radar that VGC’s report on cancelled Stadia projects, including a title by Hideo Kojima, is “inaccurate and reported hearsay as fact”. It added that it “[doesn't] have anything, nor has announced anything, with Kojima or Yu Suzuki”.

Back