Video 1 - Shenmue III MINIGAME footage from IGN Japan (13 minutes)

Whew, quite a lot to digest here, even though it's pretty much just gambling.
Here are some quick thoughts.
  • Enviroments look absolutey great
  • Voice acting sounds solid
  • Love the reuse of classic sound effects
  • Turtles are adorable
  • Capsule toy buying is crazy fast and lures for fishing later?
  • The lack of music made this feel rather empty
  • Ryo's walking animation still seems a bit stiff
  • HUD has expectadly gotten a bit too cluttered and gamey

I actually think visually the game looks really good. I love the depth of field used when Ryo is engaged in conversation. The temp music being added, dramatically improves experience and really makes it feel like a fully fledged Shenmue experience. Couple of additional points;

• I think Ryos walking animation actually looks too loose, especially his arms. I would prefer tighter posture and walking cycle
  • HUD is very busy, I really hope like many games Suzuki gives us chance to hide or minimize icons/HUD display

I think the game looks much better in motion than photos. It feels like a Shenmue game done right Im loving it. I wonder why there was no background music.

Oh my god! I have no words. It is so beautiful! and so Shenmue....It's everything I hoped!
I cant believe that one day ago there were people talking trash about the man that made this dream come true....

I love you all!

It looks like Shenmue....on a budget.

I don't say that as a put down rather that's honestly what it looks like to me. Shenmue predicated by the budget. Again for what, $7 Million dollars? It's not bad...I'll take it. It's clearly punching above its weight but hey, it still gave me Shenmue vibes and that's all I've really wanted from this.

If I had any critiques?

Maybe fix the walk cycle animation a little.

The lack of sound effects and music? I know it's still in production though and subject to change.

QTE Prompts during the Turtle Race looked a little basic and a little bit ugly...but again this is not final and could easily change. It's clearly work in progress and I don't believe for one second that a QTE would have no sound prompts in Shenmue so I think we will see that in the final product.

The UI looks like it could use a bit more work.

Like I said, the feeling I got is "This is Shenmue....on a budget." Which is what I've been expecting all this time. My expectations were met.

If you go in expecting high levels of polish and production then you'll be disappointed but if you go in looking for Shenmue on a budget then I think your expectations will be met.

Still...I'm not looking forward to reviews of this game at all...I expect there are going to be a lot of "It's Shenmue...but it's an outdated relic from a bygone era and gaming has moved on" type reviews. (mark my words; reviews will say something akin to this)

Last edited:
I really like the Video. Good to see that lucky hit is back. It was one the funniest mini games in Shenmue 2.

The English VOA also sounds nice. Kudos to Mr Marshal he managed it to sound very similar to his younger self. He is only sounding a bit less confused than in the past.

As far as I can tell from the short Clips the dub is good but I will play it in Japanese first if in case I can.

The turtle race also looks funny.

I really like the Video. Good to see that lucky hit is back. It was one the funniest mini games in Shenmue 2.

The English VOA also sounds nice. Kudos to Mr Marshal he managed it to sound very similar to his younger self. He is only sounding a bit less confused than in the past.

As far as I can tell from the short Clips the dub is good but I will play it in Japanese first if in case I can.

The turtle race also looks funny.

I dunno if lucky hit was funny. But it was sure as heck the most effective, reliable and fastest way to make cash in the game.

It was fun because it was quite unpredictable. Some NPC were really bad when running the stand and some NPC were really good and it was hard too beat them. I also had the Impression that each lucky hit stand was different and some were more difficult than the others. But this might be just my Imagination...

It was fun because it was quite unpredictable. Some NPC were really bad when running the stand and some NPC were really good and it was hard too beat them. I also had the Impression that each lucky hit stand was different and some were more difficult than the others. But this might be just my Imagination...

Nah, some were easier. The one next to the Come Over Guest House was basically guaranteed 120 dollars every time if you could find a "winning spot".

I'll say this.

It looks rough.

It looks stiff.

It looks janky.

The voices are bad.

It looks like it should have released 20 years ago.

And that...is the best thing anyone could have ever asked for as fans. I'm not being sarcastic---this is exactly what we wanted. It is Shenmue, for all it's faults and virtues.

Clean it up a bit in these months, add polish, show me the music, I'll be a happy man.

People will say that it is janky. But that's my jank right there and I'm damn proud of it. ?

Back