Video Games Chronicle Feature - Shenmue 3 shows what games have lost since 2001

Favourite title
Shenmue IIx
Currently playing
Ghost of Tsushima
PSN
mjqjazzbar

Its relative merits and inherent quality – it contains flaws that are all too apparent, but could be the result more of underfunding than poor development – can be debated ad infinitum. But surely nobody would disagree that its status as a preserved-in-aspic relic of what games were like nearly twenty years ago provides a unique opportunity to add some context to today’s games industry.

Related: Review: Shenmue 3 is the sequel fans have been waiting for
Playing Shenmue III with modern games in mind raises a number of issues and observations. The first thing that leaps out at you when you fire it up is how slow it is. Sure, in 2001, there were already plenty of games that offered non-stop, wall-to-wall action, but it’s something of a revelation to find a game in 2019 that builds so slowly and methodically, revealing its game-world bit by bit and unfolding its many game mechanics one by one.

I just read that article now it was a good read I hope it can help more people appreciate Shenmue 3 more. I dont think is a bad game at all I enjoyed the game a lot I did had my complaints with the last part but everything else was good for me.

Back