Shenmue II
Currently playing
Tekken 7 (always Tekken 7)
PSN
danmann861
Steam
danielmann861
Virtua-Fighter-x-esports.jpg

So....SEGA just teased this in their opening TGS stream.

What are we looking at here folks?

Virtua Fighter 6?
Virtua Fighter Reboot?

They did say a "new start for Virtua Fighter"

Oh fucking boy! I need more info now!

Last edited:
“Virtua Fighter, which was created as the world’s first 3D fighting game in 1993, will restart as an eSports title in celebration of Sega’s 60th anniversary, starting in Japan,” Sega said. “Details on the project will be announced in a future update.”

Restart = Reboot?

Excited whatever it is

Hmm, a part of me thinks it could be VF5 as a starting point, essentially a remake, with new graphics, more characters, more eSports-style features, but they just call it "Virtua Fighter".

Just a guess, because if it is a brand new, from-scratch VF, why not just...announce it?

If Sega brings back Virtual Fighter I'll be surprised if they don't co-finance Shenmue 4. Sega is on a bit of a roll lately. I'm not gonna count chickens before they hatch but Sega could very well be back as a premium software developer. Besides Shenmue 4 all we need is a A-List Sonic game something on the level of Mario.

Ok, so here's my modest prediction of what's going to happen. Hear me out, as I think it's a fairly realistic set of scenarios.

- Virtua Fighter X Esports is revealed to be a reboot of the Virtua Fighter franchise. A brand new game in the franchise, with Yu Suzuki returning to the fold as the director.

- The success of Virtua Fighter X leads to Sega releasing a Virtua Fighter Anthology Collection for all consoles, containing the various different versions of VF 1 - 5 in one collection.

- Meanwhile, the Shenmue anime is released to rave reviews from critics and fans alike. A second season is commissioned.

- The success of the Shenmue anime and recent Virtua Fighter games makes Sega consider a Virtua Fighter anime

- Sega launch the Virtua Fighter anime with a special one hour cross over anime with Shenmue, called Shenmue x Virtua Fighter. Following this, the brand new Virtua Fighter anime is released

- Both the success of the Virtua Fighter and Shenmue properties make Sega billions. This prompts them to formally rehire Yu Suzuki and other former legendary ex Sega staff, and expand their development and research departments

- Sega launches Fighters Megamix 2, featuring characters from Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers, Shenmue, Yakuza, as well as bonus gimmick characters from Burning Rangers, Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Cop, Jet Set Radio and Sonic the Hedgehog

- Sega feeling reinvigorated, finally begins development on Shenmue 4. To tie fans over, they get a second team to begin work on a Shenmue 1-3 remake

- Shemmue and Virtua Fighter become the hottest video game properties since Pokemon, launching numerous toys, spin offs, films and tv series.

- The remakes of Shemmue 1, 2 and 3 are released

- Shenmue 4 is released and is the highest grossing video game release of all time

- With its new found billions and expanded company size, Sega buys out Sony

- Sega launches their brand new console, the Sega DreamStation in 2026, featuring the 'Virtua Console', with games across their entire history available to buy from the digital store. The state of the art console features the best set of games within the first 6 months of launch of any console ever, featuring Panzer Dragoon Saga Remake, Shemmue 5, Sonic Adventure 3, Virtua Fighter X 2, Skies of Arcadia 2, Metal Gear Solid 6 and a bunch of new IPs.

- Sega destroy all of their competition and the Sega DreamStation goes down in history as the greatest console of all time

Last edited:
Ok, so here's my modest prediction of what's going to happen. Hear me out, as I think it's a fairly realistic set of scenarios.

- Virtua Fighter X Esports is revealed to be a reboot of the Virtua Fighter franchise. A brand new game in the franchise, with Yu Suzuki returning to the fold as the director.

- The success of Virtua Fighter X leads to Sega releasing a Virtua Fighter Anthology Collection for all consoles, containing the various different versions of VF 1 - 5 in one collection.

- Meanwhile, the Shenmue anime is released to rave reviews from critics and fans alike. A second season is commissioned.

- The success of the Shenmue anime and recent Virtua Fighter games makes Sega consider a Virtua Fighter anime

- Sega launch the Virtua Fighter anime with a special one hour cross over anime with Shenmue, called Shenmue x Virtua Fighter. Following this, the brand new Virtua Fighter anime is released

- Both the success of the Virtua Fighter and Shenmue properties make Sega billions. This prompts them to formally rehire Yu Suzuki and other former legendary ex Sega staff, and expand their development and research departments

- Sega launches Fighters Megamix 2, featuring characters from Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers, Shenmue, Yakuza, as well as bonus gimmick characters from Burning Rangers, Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi, Virtua Cop, Jet Set Radio and Sonic the Hedgehog

- Sega feeling reinvigorated, finally begins development on Shenmue 4. To tie fans over, they get a second team to begin work on a Shenmue 1-3 remake

- Shemmue and Virtua Fighter become the hottest video game properties since Pokemon, launching numerous toys, spin offs, films and tv series.

- The remakes of Shemmue 1, 2 and 3 are released

- Shenmue 4 is released and is the highest grossing video game release of all time

- With its new found billions and expanded company size, Sega buys out Sony

- Sega launches their brand new console, the Sega DreamStation in 2026, featuring the 'Virtua Console', with games across their entire history available to buy from the digital store. The state of the art console features the best set of games within the first 6 months of launch of any console ever, featuring Panzer Dragoon Saga Remake, Shemmue 5, Sonic Adventure 3, Virtua Fighter X 2, Skies of Arcadia 2, Metal Gear Solid 6 and a bunch of new IPs.

- Sega destroy all of their competition and the Sega DreamStation goes down in history as the greatest console of all time

The BEST timeline! What would the haters make of that? ;)

I do wonder if Suzuki is working on this new virtua fighter. It would make sense as to what his team may be doing. Perhaps a collab with Sega. That along with the shenmue anime would take up all of his time. Or he could just be secretly working on Shenmue 4

Whatever the situation is, ill be buying the new virtua fighter day 1

I do wonder if Suzuki is working on this new virtua fighter. It would make sense as to what his team may be doing. Perhaps a collab with Sega. That along with the shenmue anime would take up all of his time. Or he could just be secretly working on Shenmue 4

Whatever the situation is, ill be buying the new virtua fighter day 1

I could see him being a consultant on it maybe. I don't think he'd be directing (he didn't direct 5 as is) but if he is involved I could easily him being a consultant or producer on it. I would hope he is involved if this is indeed a thing.

Back