Virtua Fighter x Esports just announced at TGS 2020

Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooly Sh*****************************************************t.

If Sega can officiate the Am2 Logo in the next trailer its quality will def be guaranteed.

If Sega also slaps on the Yu Suzuki signature seal of quality, It'd no doubt set the gold standard.

Fingers crossed Sega doesn't F-ed this up. It's a system seller and easy million+ seller if they can pull it off.

I'm excited for sure, but we still don't know exactly what this is. We're all assuming it's a new game but it could just be a VF5 re-release, or something.

Even if it is a VF5 re-release with a shiny new coat of graphics, I'd take it. Just let me play VF online on a platform that isn't PS3 or Xbox 360. Give me VF on Steam, PS4/5 and Xbox and let me be able to play them online on new consoles/hardware.

My heart really wants it to be a gate way to VF6 though. It's time. It's been long enough. Let's get cooking SEGA.

My expectation is VF5 re-released with a shiny new coat of graphics and the Esports monkier ala something like Puyo Puyo E Sports. Which would still be nice but yeah.

Whatever it is, I'm just happy they finally acknowledged it and something is cooking with it. It's been way too long.

My only demand is for Roll Back netcode. Whatever this is. If it has online play, DON'T do delay based netcode SEGA. Look into Rollback netcode.

The way they talked about it being too big to cover at the end of that event just leads me to believe it may be something bigger than just a re-release. If it was just a re-release then why not just announce it last weekend and get cooking? Something tells me they're teasing and it may be bigger. Or it will be disappointment city...

I'm excited for sure, but we still don't know exactly what this is. We're all assuming it's a new game but it could just be a VF5 re-release, or something.
Yeah, the way they put that teaser together, specifically the line about 'Brought back onto the "showdown" stage' made me feel like it was probably an updated re-release for Final Showdown, but who knows. I was also hearing some discussion that it's a sixth game, but rebooting the series as just "Virtua Fighter."

I don't know if anyone was curious about the Japanese flashing up on the screen, but:

'Do you remember it?'
'The excitement,'
'The craze,'
'The emotion,'
'Brought back onto the "showdown" stage.'

That has to be Virtua Fighter 6 or Virtua Fighter 6 under the name Virtua Fighter. It's definitely a new Akira model in the video.

I think they're really smart if they market and present Virtua Fighter 6 as the first next gen fighter. It will draw a lot of eyes. Make it cross gen as well just to reach more people. Put Ryo and some Yakuza characters in there as guest characters.

It seems like right now is the golden age for fighting games. I just hope they have good online and good long term support.

Very hyped for this

YS is very interested in Esports. There have been a few interviews/articles through the years where he expresses interest in these types of games. I would be surprised if he isn't involved. Not saying he's a producer or a director, but we'll see.

Super long shot, but what if it's remade in UE4, with the intention of using it in Shenmue IV as well? If YS is involved...he's killing two birds with one stone here.

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown has been rated for the PS4 in Korea.

Whether this is the 'true' esports title is anyones guess, but it's nice to get a proper version of 5 on current gen systems.
Maybe the upcoming PS3 store shutdown is forcing them to do what should have been done already?

hell, Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown is technically already on the PS4 if you have any of the Dragon Engine Yakuza games. ;)

I'll take a 15$ VF5 re release if it means better NetCode or such. Even if it’s just testing the waters for an eventual VF6 announcement, i’ll take anything at the moment. I just want to play VF on a console that isn’t the PS3. If they do re-release it then hopefully it gets a Steam release too since SEGA likes putting their stuff on PC and all.

Last edited:
Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown has been rated for the PS4 in Korea.

Whether this is the 'true' esports title is anyones guess, but it's nice to get a proper version of 5 on current gen systems.
This is bittersweet. They teased something more and I think people will feel letdown.

In saying that VF5:FS is very good and I'd happily pick it up on the modern platforms as I want to support the series.

This is "ultimate" rather than just final showdown so unlikely to be a straight port. When the project was announced they said it was too difficult to explain, so I reckon this is a enhanced re-release to introduce VF back into the collective mainstream with a 'proper' 6 / eSports release further down the line

Let's just hope this 'ultimate' edition has some good new extra content. Some Shenmue characters or skins would be amazing 😍

Wow, if it has all of the stages/music from Vanilla VF5, R and FS, and helps chances of a
VF6, then sign me the hell up!
Also, a decent quest mode more like VF4 Evo would be nice (VF5’s wasn’t quite as good)

Last edited:
This is "ultimate" rather than just final showdown so unlikely to be a straight port. When the project was announced they said it was too difficult to explain, so I reckon this is a enhanced re-release to introduce VF back into the collective mainstream with a 'proper' 6 / eSports release further down the line

Let's just hope this 'ultimate' edition has some good new extra content. Some Shenmue characters or skins would be amazing 😍
Oh yeah right, I forgot it's Final Showdown, not Ultimate Showdown.

Well that's even more promising then.

Honestly, just give me the game with decent netcode and a decent character customization set and I'll be happy. I just want to learn how to properly play Virtua Fighter with opponents that aren't CPU.

I'd like to think this is them treading waters and getting interest back in VF before going all out and announcing the game we all want. But then again, what if they do some graphic overhauling with this Ultimate edition? What if they touch up the graphics a little? The lighting is definitely showing it's age. VF5 is still a good looking game but it is let down by its flat lighting of the time so it'd be nice if they touch it up a bit.

It would be cool if they went a bit further and added some guest characters...say, Ryo and Kiryu (since the fans were crying for Kiryu in Tekken 7 but never got him...why not add him to VF5 and get those people on board?) ;)

But that's probably me asking too much of them. All I would realistically want is decent netcode (which if they're going for the Esports crowd -- they HAVE to have some decent netcode), maybe some touched up graphics and a decent set of customization options would do me just fine.

Why is SEGA so damn hesitant to do the thing we want them to do? I'd like to think VF isn't completely dead and there is a market out there that will gladly jump on-board for VF6, right? I know Tekken has become the so-called king of 3D fighters but surely there is still a crowd for VF? We still get Dead or Alive games...so? Why is SEGA so hesitant just to pull the trigger on it already?

Last edited:
They're hyping up a port, though? And going light on info for months? Seems odd... Pretty easy to just say hey we're porting VF5, get hyped, and leave it at that? I guess the amount of folks actively aware there's even a new VF project is pretty light anyway, so maybe I'm just being ignorant.

Well this is leaked info, technically they aren't hyping up anything. We don't actually know what the Ultimate Showdown entails.

Oh no, I don't mean that. I just think it's odd they'd do a soft announcement for VF Esports, go light on details for months, and then reveal it's just a PS4 port (when it's actually revealed)? I would hope it's two separate things.

I was thinking about this...what if they do overhaul this graphically speaking?

The fighting engine of VF5 Final Showdown is incredibly sound, but I was thinking, what if they update it more so than just lighting? What if they update character models as well? I wouldn't mind if they gave VF5 a bit of a HD Remaster treatment in more ways than one. Something like the Bluepoint treatment, where you keep the source code underneath it mostly the same but update the graphics engine. Would be kind of interesting.

I hope it's not just a simple port and they actually do some work on this just to make it look better. All I want from this is decent netcode and maybe another polish graphically speaking to make it look up to date. I'll gladly take a port if it's just that just because I want more VF....but if they actually do put in the work, it could be interesting to see what overhauls they can make to it graphically speaking.

Yes in fact they are not hyping up anything. It is just some random info of some rating board. Personally I would not mind a ps4 port. I do not have VF 5 in my collection. I only have 1 to 4 in my collection on various consoles,

Vf Remix and VF 2 on Saturn, VF 3 on Dreamcast and VF 4 on ps2.

Owning a simple port of VF 5 for the ps4/ps5 would be good enough for me. But an improved version would also be more than welcome.

But as I said the info is to vague to get hyped up. Maybe it is nothing..

I am just happy SEGA is recognizing the franchise again. If this just means a straight-up port then so be it. As long as the fighting system remains deep and balanced, as long as AM2 respectfully depicts martial arts, I couldn't care less about graphics or other gimmicks like guest characters. If anything, that's the one thing I respect most about Virtua Fighter, its purity as a fighting game.

Granted the characters have silly DLC skins and victory poses, however, the core of the series has always been about what matters most in a video game; the gameplay. Also, I have to disagree with @danielmann861 about the netcode. The netcode for Final Showdown is honestly some of the best I have seen. All AM2 has to do is just bring that same level of polish to the current generation of consoles/PC.

While I am excited for Virtua Fighter to get some attention, call me cynical, but I think the series will once again be ignored in favor of other fighters like Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter. I mean, it's not even on the EVO roster this year. Once again, I think this franchise does not get the justice it deserves. In some ways, this makes me feel sorry for Yu Suzuki as his incredible genius gets constantly ignored or unappreciated.

Back