Was the Scope of Shenmue 3 too Big?

Do you think it would’ve better if it released under sega in 03

On the Shenmue documentary the developers are explaining how hard it was to make Shenmue. The things Yu was asking for had never been done before. AM2 had to make most of that stuff from scratch. It just shows the level of skill AM2 possessed to make Yu vision possible. Yu + AM2 + Sega(unlimited budget) = phenomenal Shenmue experience.

On the Shenmue documentary the developers are explaining how hard it was to make Shenmue. The things Yu was asking for had never been done before. AM2 had to make most of that stuff from scratch. It just shows the level of skill AM2 possessed to make Yu vision possible. Yu + AM2 + Sega(unlimited budget) = phenomenal Shenmue experience.
I think they would’ve milked it if it was successful

Why’s that you think?

It took 15 years for Shenmue 3 to get announced. When a series gets revived you have to ride the momentum. Shenmue 3 released in 2019 its now 2023 and we have nothing concrete. The most we have to go on is 110 industries trolling us. Waiting and secretly developing Shenmue 4 wouldn't help Shenmue. You have to build hype and anticipation IMO.

It took 15 years for Shenmue 3 to get announced. When a series gets revived you have to ride the momentum. Shenmue 3 released in 2019 its now 2023 and we have nothing concrete. The most we have to go on is 110 industries trolling us. Waiting and secretly developing Shenmue 4 wouldn't help Shenmue. You have to build hype and anticipation IMO.
You think they haven’t gotten the funding for a 4th game if that’s true that’s not good.

I know this post is a couple of months old now, but I just saw it and wanted to correct it.
Those arcade machines with the "Coming Soon" written on them actually get replaced by working cabinets after you've delivered them using the forklift job.
Another fantastic little detail at work there that Shenmue is known for.

Тhis is really cool. I didn't know that even though I completed the game four times. :)

Maybe you guys know about Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol. 1? I'm almost 100% convinced that the fifth game Power Drift is a mini game for the Dreamcast version of Shenmue III. :D There's no way that wouldn't be the case. The game runs perfectly emulated on Dreamcast and is the only one not in Shenmue out of 5 games. I totally see it in one of the arcades in Niaowo.

I really hope some good soul makes a Shenmue 3 mod with power drift in the arcades. It was meant to happen! Why not the other 4 games too. :love:

It's not that I don't like the mechanical games in the third installment. I like them a lot and I think it would be great to have more of them in the future. I just want shenmue 3 with power drift mod. Not officially. :)

I actually believe that the scope of Shenmue 3 was not big enough. If S3 was just Bailu Village the game would have felt far too small and not a real Shenmue 3. It would have felt like a demo for Shenmue 3 or more like Shenmue 2.5.

What Shenmue 3 needed was for Baisha to be in the game and another 3 hours of cutscenes.

Bailu would have been the same except we would learn more about the poem the sword of 7 stars and the Shenmue tree(s).

Niaowu would be the same except that Broom Girl and the Fat Master would have had 2-3 additional cutscenes each to flesh out their characters. Li Feng would have befriended Shenhua as well and there would have been a few cutscenes with the two of them ultimately leading to her betraying and kidnapping Shenhua and taking her to Baisha.

Baisha would have been Ryo Ren Broom Girl and Fatmaster infiltrating the CYM hideout. Character perspective system would have had you playing as Ryo/Ren/Shenhua. Throughout Baisha Niao Sun is revealed as well as the other 2 CYM leaders. When you finally rescue Shenhua and face down Lan Di Niao Sun makes her move and betrays Lan Di allowing Ryo Ren and Shenhua to escape and leads into Shenmue 4.

Last edited:
I actually believe that the scope of Shenmue 3 was not big enough. If S3 was just Bailu Village the game would have felt far too small and not a real Shenmue 3. It would have felt like a demo for Shenmue 3 or more like Shenmue 2.5.

What Shenmue 3 needed was for Baisha to be in the game and another 3 hours of cutscenes.

Bailu would have been the same except we would learn more about the poem the sword of 7 stars and the Shenmue tree(s).

Niaowu would be the same except that Broom Girl and the Fat Master would have had 2-3 additional cutscenes each to flesh out their characters. Li Feng would have befriended Shenhua as well and there would have been a few cutscenes with the two of them ultimately leading to her betraying and kidnapping Shenhua and taking her to Baisha.

Baisha would have been Ryo Ren Broom Girl and Fatmaster infiltrating the CYM hideout. Character perspective system would have had you playing as Ryo/Ren/Shenhua. Throughout Baisha Niao Sun is revealed as well as the other 2 CYM leaders. When you finally rescue Shenhua and face down Lan Di Niao Sun makes her move and betrays Lan Di allowing Ryo Ren and Shenhua to escape and leads into Shenmue 4.
I agree with all of it but I don’t think we would’ve seen the other 2 CYM leaders i think the overall story and the main/important story parts would’ve been the same i don’t think we missed out on much just more character progression

Interesting topic and good video.

In the Shenmue III credits Yu-san said...

Yu Suzuki: During development I expanded the scope beyond what I had originally envisioned.

I remember that originally this is how Niaowu would look like, in the game Niaowu is way bigger

If YS NET had done Niaowu in a small way similar to the image maybe Baisha would be in the game now, would be better this way? not sure but i like the way Niaowu is in the game, the perfect scenario to me would be to also have Baisha without compromising the Niaowu we got in the game.

In my opinion Yu-san is a perfectionist and ambitious person when comes to his art/projects, i feel that he always think bigger and with new ideas, and if something doesn't go out exactly as he planned then he will probably not like it a lot, probably this is why he gave 7.5 for the game.

Probably the budget Yu Suzuki got was not enough for him to do everything the way he wanted for the game.

When i imagine the development of Shenmue III i feel that it was not a easy development. I imagine that Yu-san had a lot of problems in the development of Shenmue III.

1. limited budget

2. YS NET had to do everything from scratch

3. Limited time. Shenmue III was delayed 3 times. I can imagine Yu-san wanting to delay the game more times to make the game even better, maybe even trying to find a way to put Baisha in the game, and Deep Silver breathing down his neck to release the game soon.

To me the saddest part is that Baisha is not in the game, i believe that if Baisha was in the game the story of the game would be better executed and with a better ending, i even think that in Baisha we would even get more screen time for Niao Sun and Lan Di.

Plus if Baisha was in the game we would see a new location to explore with new NPCs, a new type of gameplay and so much more.

I like the ending we got but the ending is really rushed, could have been better.

Yu- san said... "Baisha will show off what Shenmue III is all about" so i imagine that Baisha would be the most important location in the game, without Baisha it even feels to me like Shenmue III is missing disc 4.

I would love to know more about the development of Shenmue III, this way we would understand better why some choices were made, how everything happened.

I imagine that the first Shenmue game was harder to make than Shenmue II, SEGA had to do everything from scratch, and then for Shenmue II i believe some things were easier to make because of that.

I believe Shenmue III and Shenmue IV will be similar in relation to that, with Shenmue III YS NET had to do everything from scratch, for Shenmue IV i imagine that some things will be easier, and this way making better for Yu-san to tell the story.

Shenmue III to me is similar to the first game in many ways and i love that, and i believe Shenmue IV will be similar to Shenmue II.

Some things could have been better in the game? yes but overall the game is wonderful to me.

I love the gameplay, the new additions, the soundtrack, the slow pace, the Shenmue one vibe of the game especially in Bailu Village, the conversations of Ryo with Shenhua, the locations and visuals and so much more.

Shenmue III is a beautiful game to me, the only things that i dislike is lack of a few more story scenes, like flashbacks of the time Iwao Hazuki was in Bailu Village with Sunming Zhao would have been nice and would add more to the story of the game. Baisha is not in the game, no throw moves in the game, the fighting system needs improvements about some things, and lack of development for some characters.

Shenmue III is a kickstarter game, in my opinion it is amazing everything that YS NET achieved with a limited budget, a full Shenmue experience. 💚

LetsGetShenmue4 ❤️
Mmm, yeah for me shenmue 3 had everything I needed. I know Baisha was not In it ☹️
Not sure where I've seen this but Yu Suzuki said if 3 had the budget of 1 we will only see Bailu.

Baisha is the biggest lost in all this :(

also the great wall fight with the red snakes leader... :(
I hope, baisha, the great wall, the perspective system, magic maze etc. will be all included in Shenmue 4.

Issue with Shenmue 3 is more about the sum of its narrative nonsenses and micro-flaws than anything else. But if I had to point out one main flaw...

Bailu Village should have gotten its very own gameplay.
Replace the main villain of Bailu by one of the great monk fighters of the dojo.
And keep the Shenmue 2 classic gameplay + Mad Angels scheme exclusive to Niaowu.

I think no one would have complained if Bailu became way less fun if the return was that we've got a more believable place for Ryo's character development.

I wouldn't call the lack of Baisha chapter as main flaw but rather the most critical one. Shenmue 2 ending was designed to make fans crazy over the years and keep the pressure on Sega. And it eventually succeed, somehow.

Shenmue 3 "wait and see" based on treasure quest clearly does not have the same appeal. Not to mention the narrative global mess.

That's unfortunate because Shenmue 3 is a good game if you accept it as it is. Not great but good enough to have a long enjoyable experience with qualities that you still find in the Shenmue series only.

Back