Well, Sonic is getting a Netflix Original...Will you guys watch it?

I don't want to start a new of topic discussion here but...
Sega was so great back in the day.
The company is barely recognisable.
Sega can still be great. They just don't take chances anymore if rarely. So many classics, so many fan-niches if they just toss a bone to every group once in a while consistently would help in rallying us all.

Unpopular opinion, but Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 is now my favorite 3D Sonic video game. After seeing what the fan community has done, I see the enormous potential it had. I loved the music, the combination of the speed lanes of Adventure 2 with the open-ended nature of the first Adventure title, the character/enemy designs, the stages, and the Final Fantasy Esque storyline. Sadly though, it was released too early due to the executive incompetence at SEGA.

If it was given enough time in the oven so to speak, Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 might have been as well-loved as the Adventure series.

I wasn't even aware of all of the negativity surrounding Sonic 2006 when I first played it. I really enjoyed it at the time, and when I found out that it is viewed as one of the worst games ever made, I thought that those opinions were incredibly hyperbolic.

Personally, I have always found the negativity surrounding 3D Sonic games odd. Like since the day it moved from 2D to 3D, people have just not accepted it and refused to move on from the 16bit days. I swear that people are also deliberately bad at modern Sonic games to make it seem like they are worse than they really are. I remember when Sonic Lost Worlds was released and either IGN or Gamespot were reviewing it and the guy playing it kept crashing into a wall and dying. He blamed the controls, but there was nothing wrong with the controls when I played it, he was just bad at it or looking for clicks on his review.

I wasn't even aware of all of the negativity surrounding Sonic 2006 when I first played it. I really enjoyed it at the time, and when I found out that it is viewed as one of the worst games ever made, I thought that those opinions were incredibly hyperbolic.

Personally, I have always found the negativity surrounding 3D Sonic games odd. Like since the day it moved from 2D to 3D, people have just not accepted it and refused to move on from the 16bit days. I swear that people are also deliberately bad at modern Sonic games to make it seem like they are worse than they really are. I remember when Sonic Lost Worlds was released and either IGN or Gamespot were reviewing it and the guy playing it kept crashing into a wall and dying. He blamed the controls, but there was nothing wrong with the controls when I played it, he was just bad at it or looking for clicks on his review.
I understand what you mean but I wouldn't say that the majority of Sonic fans refused to move on from the glorious Mega Drive days. I know a lot of people from my town who were huge Sonic fans when they were children in the Mega Drive era. When the Dreamcast rolled around most of them were disappointed by Sonic Adventure.

Personally, I tried really hard to like 3D-Sonic. Adventure 1 was not a good game but it had awesome Crush 40 music and was the first real 3D-Sonic game so it was forgivable. Adventure 2 was better and it seemed Sonic Team were on to something but then came Sonic Heroes which threw everything over board instead of refining the Adventure 2 concept. After Heroes came Unleashed which again was an entirely new concept. Not a bad game per se but not a great game by a long shot.

Unleashed was my call to get out of the series, at least the 3D entries. After the Adventure games and Heroes this was the fourth main entry I had played which wasn't great.

I enjoyed Mania a lot, although it wasn't quite as on point as Sonic 2, CD or 3 and Knuckles. Still a good 2D Sonic game.

The problem with 3D-Sonic is that Sonic Team never execute one concept to perfection but shift from one idea to the next all the time.

Sonic 1 was a technical masterpiece when it came out but is it a great game gameplay-wise? No. It was from Sonic 2 onward that Sonic really took off.

Same thing with Forces... I haven't played it but when did that come out? 2018? And no news whatsoever that Sonic Team are working on part 2 afaik. Forces may have been a bad game or not but maybe if Sonic would just believe in the concept and kept making new entries in the same style they finally would get it right at some point down the line.

Back