Were you happier with no Shenmue III? Or do you prefer living in a post-Shenmue III world?

Some people are comparing Shenmue to Hellblade and claiming being pertinent with these kind of (trolling) analysis...
I mean... seriously!?
Shen-guys, stop arguing about it, just act like me : laugh of it. 😘

I'm not even reading anymore, I just can't understand their logic.

Probably it's my fault anyway, they are kinda superior minds.

I’m not arguing with any of this and think that a lot of the things that you took issue with during your time with the game are the same things that disappointed me and many other fans of the series.

That Yu’s ambitions for the game were not in line with the budget and resources available to him seems fairly clear (at least from an outside perspective) and I don’t think that the various Kickstarter stretch goals did him any favors in this regard.

That said, I think given the circumstances surrounding development we should cut him some slack. He obviously believed that he could deliver on his promises at the time of making them and considering he’s accustomed to working on projects with significantly larger budgets where he hasn’t had to worry about individual costs, it’s easy to see how he could have made mistakes when it came to planning the cost of implementing his ideas. Likewise; working with a team that may have taken longer to achieve the level of quality that he expected than he is accustomed to could also make planning and budgeting a project of this scale incredibly challenging.

I agree with this. Kickstarter projects seem to have this issue. I think a lot of Devs eyes get bigger than their stomachs when they see the money rolling in and overestimate how far that will take them. Add to the fact that S3 was a record breaking KS and additional funding, slacker backer etc. and it's easy to see how you may get excited and carried away with your ambition and ideas thinking you can nearly realize everything you wanted to do. Then the project starts and things are harder than you anticipated. You now have to fulfill all your stretch goals and backer rewards that eat heavily into the budget, and before long the realization sets in that you can't deliver everything you promised.
It sounds ridiculous to say that an industry veteran like Yu Suzuki lacks experience, but when it comes to working on projects with limited/fixed budgets and with a relatively inexperienced team, it seems like a fair assessment. I think we should be able to forgive mistakes that are born out of inexperience and whether or not others agree with this sentiment, I don’t see how continuing to bang on the same drum does anything for anybody.
Suzuki made his bones building arcade games. To say he wasn't experienced in smaller teams and budgets isn't exactly true as most of his earlier games had small teams, budgets, and hardware constraints to boot.

Nagoshi talks about how Suzuki wasn't used to making console games. He didn't plan initially, had no design doc, and probably had poor project management skills because he had never had to work on a project that big before. Suzuki seems like more of an idea guy and engineer than producer.

He may have limited experience when it comes to working on smaller projects and he may have made some mistakes during the development of Shenmue 3, but his track record shows that he clearly knows what constitutes a good game and that given the right conditions, he is more than capable of producing them.

His background was in computer engineering and he understood hardware better than almost anyone. He also wasn't a gamer, originally he wanted to be a dentist, so he never thought within the tropes and paradigms of traditional games too strictly. These two things meant that his interests were in novel ideas and technology. It's probably the reason most of the games he made were taikan games (VF probably being the exception).

This probably lead to a lot of his success in arcades because a huge part of being successful in the market is good graphics and having a gimmick to stand out; both things all his games had.

That being said, I'm not implying he is a bad designer, his success prior to Shenmue speaks for itself. Just that I think working on larger console projects are not playing to his strengths and he probably needs someone there to balance out his ideas with pragmatism. It seems that Cedric Biscay did do that in fact (sorry can't find the interview where he said that). But given that Suzuki was promising so many new and novel ideas from the get go is a sign that his excitement as an engineer might overshadow that of a game designer who has promised to continue and conclude this epic saga for his fans.
Furthermore, to point out that the project could have been better by comparing it to a game that, whilst very well put together, has nowhere near the depth or scope of Shenmue 3 and to then say that Yu needs to be told this suggests that he isn’t self aware enough to recognize these things himself. I think that’s doing him a massive disservice.
You're probably right. I don't think Suzuki is an idiot, he likely realizes that balancing all of the elements of Shenmue on a budget is no easy feat. My opinion, I appreciate what he tried to do in keeping with the essential formula and trying not to water down the game, but in the end I would have preferred a more focused, smaller and more polished experience. That's my only comparison to Hellblade, I'm not saying the scope of either game is otherwise remotely similar.

This is an unpopular opinion but I feel really disappointed by Shenmue 3. The game is really bad compared to the first two and I have not bothered completing it because I don't feel interested in it. I want to see the story end but I feel they should just make an animated series to finish it off.

Last edited:
We know that Chen got his information from Zhu and can assume that Lan Di got his information from Tentei, so were we to make the assumption that Zhu is actually Tentei, the story that Iwao killed Sunming could be traced back to a single source with both a history of lying and a pretty decent motive for lying in this instance. Zhu (a friend of Sunming) being Tentei would also explain why Lan Di may have willingly gone with the Chi You Men upon being told of his father’s deat
This would be cool if the idea is to treat Tentei's reveal as a plot twist rather than a new character. It would also make sense why Lan Di leaves Zhu on the rooftop at the end of S2. However, Chai does say that Lan Di hates Yuanda Zhu in S1 and Zhang seems to be pretty loyal to Zhu so it might be difficult to portray a convincing double life.
This is an interesting thread of ideas but I would have to concur that it doesn't make sense for Zhu to be Tentei or a part of the CYM.

For one, Zhu sends the letter to Iwao warning him about "those who pursue the mirror". Secondly it makes no sense for him to be in hiding, pursued by the CYM, then fake his capture to reveal information to Ryo about the origin of the mirrors. It begs the question, why go through all that trouble? Especially if he already knew that Iwao took both mirrors back to Japan and when Ryo just hands him the Phoenix Mirror he gives it back.

Also, everyone in Zhu's network seems to help Ryo against the CYM.

EDIT: I should add that Lan Di going with CYM doesn't really need further explanation. It seems from the Ziming flashback that their M.O. is recruiting young men who feel abandoned and exploiting their need for revenge (not unlike a lot of extremist groups). I do wish some of this was more explored in the game though.
Yea if Lan Di is going to be portrayed as sympathetic then this is pretty much the only way to go unless Sunming left him literally no choice. I'm hoping for this because Lan Di is a more important character than Iwao or Sunming and he didn't appear to know that Iwao had both mirrors; hopefully that changes the arithmetic in his mind (ie: if Iwao was such a piece of shit, why did he have both keys to a treasure that he didn't collect?).
I'm not convinced Lan Di is going to be sympathetic, especially after Shenmue 3. He may gain more nuance (hopefully), but I can't see him being redeemed in the end. It really seems like he is the villain who is going to be defeated somehow.
Conversely, Iwao being the killer (for whatever reason) could prove important in Ryo’s arc in terms of recognizing the parallels between himself and Lan Di and the whole ‘an eye for an eye leaves the world blind’ fable which could just as easily be where Yu is heading. I suppose this could still work even if Iwao wasn’t the killer as Lan Di believed he was avenging his father, but Iwao not being the squeaky clean man Ryo believed him to have been and Ryo having to come to terms with that may be more interesting from a narrative perspective
I really like this idea. I've toyed with both options in my mind about whether it would be better for Iwao to be innocent or not. I remember reading a long time ago whe S2 came out and I went way down the rabbit hole of Chinese mythology/history that in Chinese lore thunder signifies injustice (can't remember where I read it, it was ages ago). Considering the shot of the dojo after Iwao dies with the lightning and thunder, and the significance of the "day the snow turned to rain" I wonder if this is more than a coincidence. It doesn't answer whether Iwao killed Zhao or not, but could be a clue that Lan Di was unjustified in his "revenge"

I think that's what makes it a compelling mystery. Even more so than the mirrors, it feels pivotal to Shenmue's story because the story is almost Iwao's as much as Ryo's.
Obviously this could easily mean that he knew someone was coming for him, not necessarily Lan Di but it also casts Zhu's letter as suspicious-- surely Iwao knew to beware of those who pursue the mirrors?
I think this is on the money. Iwao knew someone was coming, maybe even the CYM, but he was surprised at who it was (death wears a familiar face). I think this either means that, as Tomboz pointed out, he thought Lan Di was dead, or more interestingly, that he felt justified in killing Zhao not expecting retribution for it.

Last edited:

0:24 seconds if that didn't work.

I couldn't resist.

Marketing.... really has you convinced a game where you play: A] story driven adventure; B] as one sole character; C] learning and leveling martial arts; while D] grinding minigames+jobs+side quests, etc.

Gonna go ahead and listen to my own advice.

Last edited:
This would be cool if the idea is to treat Tentei's reveal as a plot twist rather than a new character. It would also make sense why Lan Di leaves Zhu on the rooftop at the end of S2. However, Chai does say that Lan Di hates Yuanda Zhu in S1 and Zhang seems to be pretty loyal to Zhu so it might be difficult to portray a convincing double life.
This is an interesting thread of ideas but I would have to concur that it doesn't make sense for Zhu to be Tentei or a part of the CYM.

For one, Zhu sends the letter to Iwao warning him about "those who pursue the mirror". Secondly it makes no sense for him to be in hiding, pursued by the CYM, then fake his capture to reveal information to Ryo about the origin of the mirrors. It begs the question, why go through all that trouble? Especially if he already knew that Iwao took both mirrors back to Japan and when Ryo just hands him the Phoenix Mirror he gives it back.

Also, everyone in Zhu's network seems to help Ryo against the CYM.

Whether or not he is Tentai, it definitely feels like there is a lot more to Zhu than meets the eye. The timing of his letter to the Hazuki residence suggests that he knew something was coming imminently and him being the one who triggered the chain of events that lead to Lan Di arriving at the dojo on that day would explain how.

Is it not possible that Zhu only told Lan Di about the Dragon mirror out of concern that he may try and use the power of the mirrors for himself if he got his hands on both? By sending the letter in Lan Di’s wake, Zhu triggered a chain of events that lead to Ryo finding the mirror and bringing it to China. If he had any knowledge of the prophecy, this could also explain why he allows Ryo to play his role in it and continue on with the mirror to Bailu (not to mention that after Dou Niou has been defeated, Zhu wasn’t really in a position to take the mirror himself). That the information he gives to Ryo about the mirrors may be false and that he sends Ryo to the place where the Blue Spiders (a group lead by one of Zhu’s organization) is lurking could further back this up.

Obviously this could easily mean that he knew someone was coming for him, not necessarily Lan Di but it also casts Zhu's letter as suspicious-- surely Iwao knew to beware of those who pursue the mirrors?
It’s this that leads me to believe that in spite of being addressed to Iwao, Zhu’s letter was actually intended for Ryo.

Whether or not he is Tentai, it definitely feels like there is a lot more to Zhu than meets the eye. The timing of his letter to the Hazuki residence suggests that he knew something was coming imminently and him being the one who triggered the chain of events that lead to Lan Di arriving at the dojo on that day would explain how.
I don't think it's suspicious. The CYM and Yellowheads were looking for him all over Hong Kong. He was safe to assume that the CYM would figure out about Iwao eventually and come for him. Obviously they did faster than Zhu thought.
s it not possible that Zhu only told Lan Di about the Dragon mirror out of concern that he may try and use the power of the mirrors for himself if he got his hands on both? By sending the letter in Lan Di’s wake, Zhu triggered a chain of events that lead to Ryo finding the mirror and bringing it to China. If he had any knowledge of the prophecy, this could also explain why he allows Ryo to play his role in it and continue on with the mirror to Bailu (not to mention that after Dou Niou has been defeated, Zhu wasn’t really in a position to take the mirror himself). That the information he gives to Ryo about the mirrors may be false and that he sends Ryo to the place where the Blue Spiders (a group lead by one of Zhu’s organization) is lurking could further back this up.
I'm not sure Zhu told Lan Di anything. the CYM were looking for the mirrors when Sunming Zhao was alive, they knew there were 2 mirrors. It was just assumed (for some reason) that Iwao only had 1. They probably thought Zhu had the other or knew where it was. He doesn't give false information to Ryo necessarily, Bailu village is where the mirrors were made, and the descendants of those who made them. I'm not sure if Zhu is aware of the prophecy at all.

I don't think it's suspicious. The CYM and Yellowheads were looking for him all over Hong Kong. He was safe to assume that the CYM would figure out about Iwao eventually and come for him. Obviously they did faster than Zhu thought.
Given that the mirrors were brought back to Japan nearly twenty years ago, that Lan Di and the letter both turned up within a few days of each other seems a little too convenient. If Zhu sent the letter after learning that the Chi You Men were on their way, why was his letter not more direct and why did he send a letter in the first place rather than making a phone call?

I'm not sure Zhu told Lan Di anything. the CYM were looking for the mirrors when Sunming Zhao was alive, they knew there were 2 mirrors. It was just assumed (for some reason) that Iwao only had 1. They probably thought Zhu had the other or knew where it was. He doesn't give false information to Ryo necessarily, Bailu village is where the mirrors were made, and the descendants of those who made them. I'm not sure if Zhu is aware of the prophecy at all.
Zhu is known to give false information and there are two such contradictions between the information given to Chen and Ryo (that Shu brought the mirrors back to Japan with Iwao and the purpose of the mirrors). Zhu seems pretty knowledgeable about the mirrors in terms of both their purpose and their history and so it wouldn’t be too surprising if he also knew about the prophecy too.

Given that the mirrors were brought back to Japan nearly twenty years ago, that Lan Di and the letter both turned up within a few days of each other seems a little too convenient. If Zhu sent the letter after learning that the Chi You Men were on their way, why was his letter not more direct and why did he send a letter in the first place rather than making a phone call?
If the CYM were searching for Zhu and he went into hiding ahead of the games beginning, then it makes sens that he would send the letter at that time, unfortunate timing would dictate that it reached Iwao too late. Also, we don't know that Iwao and Zhu weren't in correspondence earlier than that. It's just that the situation hadn't turned dire yet.

But all of this brings up a big point in storytelling. It's not always enough to say why things are happening, but to ask the question why now? We know Iwao brought the mirrors back to Japan 20 yeas ago, so why did it take the CYM so long to track him down. I'm assuming they didn't halt their search since they were looking for the mirrors since way before Sunming Zhao died. We know that Yuanda Zhu went into hiding relatively recently to the games timeline so why not pursue him earlier? Sadly, I think this might actually be a plot hole at this point and we never get a good answer.
Zhu is known to give false information and there are two such contradictions between the information given to Chen and Ryo (that Shu brought the mirrors back to Japan with Iwao and the purpose of the mirrors). Zhu seems pretty knowledgeable about the mirrors in terms of both their purpose and their history and so it wouldn’t be too surprising if he also knew about the prophecy too.
Is he known to give false information? I know Suzuki mentioned in an interview that he deflects information to protect his friends, or something to that effect. But Suzuki also didn't remember that Xuiying was an orphan in the interview either so I'm not sure how reliable that is. Either way, it's not presented in a way that's implying he is malicious.

So it's possible Zhu's contradictions on the mirrors purpose is just Suzuki trying to keep the story interesting and not provide a definitive answer to keep them mysterious until later.

After Shenmue 3, I'm a bit worried that there may not be too much depth to this story, and all of our cool specualtions are really digging a lot deeper than Suzuki had originally intended.

If the CYM were searching for Zhu and he went into hiding ahead of the games beginning, then it makes sens that he would send the letter at that time, unfortunate timing would dictate that it reached Iwao too late. Also, we don't know that Iwao and Zhu weren't in correspondence earlier than that. It's just that the situation hadn't turned dire yet.
I’d need to rewatch the scene between Ryo and Zhu to confirm, but from memory, Yu’s conversation with Ryo suggests that he and Iwao never met, whilst Chen seems to believe (seemingly as a result of his conversations with Zhu) that Iwao and Zhu brought the mirrors to Japan together.

It’s possible that Iwao and Zhu have met before or that at the very least have been in contact with one another, but the wording of the letter (particularly the level of formality) and Zhu’s conversation with Ryo suggests to me that this isn’t the case.

But all of this brings up a big point in storytelling. It's not always enough to say why things are happening, but to ask the question why now? We know Iwao brought the mirrors back to Japan 20 yeas ago, so why did it take the CYM so long to track him down. I'm assuming they didn't halt their search since they were looking for the mirrors since way before Sunming Zhao died. We know that Yuanda Zhu went into hiding relatively recently to the games timeline so why not pursue him earlier? Sadly, I think this might actually be a plot hole at this point and we never get a good answer.
This is an interesting question and one that I hope we get an answer to. A lot of mystic plot lines in video games center around solar events and so part of me wonders whether there may be a certain point in time when the mirrors can be used (maybe some sort of total solar elipse) that lead to the Chi You Men waiting before retrieving the mirror(s). It could of course just be a case of it being convenient for the story for it to have happened when it did it again, it may also be connected to the prophecy (It happening on Ryo’s 18th birthday seems somewhat significant).

Is he known to give false information? I know Suzuki mentioned in an interview that he deflects information to protect his friends, or something to that effect. But Suzuki also didn't remember that Xuiying was an orphan in the interview either so I'm not sure how reliable that is. Either way, it's not presented in a way that's implying he is malicious.
As well as the above contradiction, he also tells Chen that the mirrors are key to the revival of Chi You whilst he tells Ryo that they are a map to some treasure. This could be a case of Yu changing the story between games, but as the first two games were developed more or less in tandem, I think we can consider these contradictions to be canon.
After Shenmue 3, I'm a bit worried that there may not be too much depth to this story, and all of our cool specualtions are really digging a lot deeper than Suzuki had originally intended.
Part of me worries the same thing and perhaps this is why I’m so keen to convince myself that there’s some underlying plot full of twists and turns that we’ve not quite reached yet. This story has the potential to be incredible, but it could just as easily end up being another story about revenge and how it’s bad. That may be where Yu plans on taking the story, but in my opinion, it would be a crying shame and a huge waste of narrative potential.

Edit: the longest ever total solar eclipse took place on June 11th 1991. Perhaps this is our endgame?

Last edited:
I’d need to rewatch the scene between Ryo and Zhu to confirm, but from memory, Yu’s conversation with Ryo suggests that he and Iwao never met, whilst Chen seems to believe (seemingly as a result of his conversations with Zhu) that Iwao and Zhu brought the mirrors to Japan together.
While Zhu doesn't say that he never met Iwao (he only claims that Sunming Zhao was his best friend and he liked to believe Iwao didn't kill him), he does say that Iwao brought the mirrors to Japan, not that he brought them with him. Master Chen says that Zhu and Iwao brought a mirror to Japan, so who knows? Also worth noting that Zhu's letter specifically says 'Beware those who pursue the mirror (singular).' A lot of this could just be purposely done to misdirect the audience because we're only supposed to know about the one mirror at that point.

It’s possible that Iwao and Zhu have met before or that at the very least have been in contact with one another, but the wording of the letter (particularly the level of formality) and Zhu’s conversation with Ryo suggests to me that this isn’t the case.
Unclear. It'd be nice if Ryo would show the slightest interest in his father's life every once in a while and ask people a question other than "where is Lan Di?!" (a question they somehow always know the answer to).

It's not always enough to say why things are happening, but to ask the question why now? We know Iwao brought the mirrors back to Japan 20 yeas ago, so why did it take the CYM so long to track him down.
Yea that's looking a lot like a big plot hole considering the number of people who know about the mirrors and the fact that Zhao died.

As well as the above contradiction, he also tells Chen that the mirrors are key to the revival of Chi You whilst he tells Ryo that they are a map to some treasure. This could be a case of Yu changing the story between games, but as the first two games were developed more or less in tandem, I think we can consider these contradictions to be canon.
Yea it's very possible that the story isn't as interesting as I thought. The mirrors being 70 years old (and most of that time spent in the Cliff Temple and then Japan) certainly made the lore behind them significantly less interesting, especially considering that in S2, Shenhua talks about emperors fighting wars over them. The way people spoke about them seemed to suggest they were a lot older, especially if they were going to "resurrect Chi You", the legend of which predates the mirrors by over 4000 years.

Part of me worries the same thing and perhaps this is why I’m so keen to convince myself that there’s some underlying plot full of twists and turns that we’ve not quite reached yet.
This begs the question: when are we going to reach them? We were in Bailu Village; where the mirrors were made, where the poem has been recited in the village "from long ago", where Yuan "heard voices" from phantom river stone, where Iwao trained with Sunming Zhao, where the Shenmue tree has stood for over a thousand years, where Shenhua was either sent and/or taken at some point, where we witnessed fucking magic... and we learned basically nothing about any of it.

Been thinking about this recently. Really been struggling with what I think of Shenmue 3 and the series as a whole. Some people on this forum have voiced concern that maybe they were mislead on the epic grandness of Shenmue's story in the first 2 games and maybe it's not what they thought it would be. Can't recall who those users were. Initially I thought they were wrong, and that grand scale was there and it was leading to something, but I don't know any more....

Right now, I wish Shenmue 3 didn't exist. I think it's a bad game and it's tainted one of my most beloved series, but it could just be a misstep or "ring rust", per se. I think it I'll have to wait to see what happens with Shenmue 4. If Shenmue 4 is more of the same as Shenmue 3, then I'll regret the series having been picked up again. If the loss of focus continues and the grande scope of the story seems to be tossed aside for a life sim-lite, or the story is unable to be told, then I was better off with ending at Shenmue 2 and having that mystery exist for me. S1 and S2 are so wonderful, they evoked enormous mystery and wonder for me 20 years ago, and even even after all this time they still evoke those same feelings. I'd rather have been left with those feelings and not have them be spoiled by the pure disappointment of Shenmue 3.

Been thinking about this recently. Really been struggling with what I think of Shenmue 3 and the series as a whole. Some people on this forum have voiced concern that maybe they were mislead on the epic grandness of Shenmue's story in the first 2 games and maybe it's not what they thought it would be. Can't recall who those users were. Initially I thought they were wrong, and that grand scale was there and it was leading to something, but I don't know any more....

Right now, I wish Shenmue 3 didn't exist. I think it's a bad game and it's tainted one of my most beloved series, but it could just be a misstep or "ring rust", per se. I think it I'll have to wait to see what happens with Shenmue 4. If Shenmue 4 is more of the same as Shenmue 3, then I'll regret the series having been picked up again. If the loss of focus continues and the grande scope of the story seems to be tossed aside for a life sim-lite, or the story is unable to be told, then I was better off with ending at Shenmue 2 and having that mystery exist for me. S1 and S2 are so wonderful, they evoked enormous mystery and wonder for me 20 years ago, and even even after all this time they still evoke those same feelings. I'd rather have been left with those feelings and not have them be spoiled by the pure disappointment of Shenmue 3.
I totally get your point and I've had those feelings myself and I believe that the main problem was that Yu Suzuki tried to do too much of everything specially in pleasing the fans with things that would remind them of the first two games, instead of making the game as a pure sequel of the series. He also brought at the same time new elements to the game that I think work well in the series and make the game world more dinamic, but the problem is that they aren't well balanced and rely also on heavy grinding wich is a thing that I don't mind to a certain extent, but in this case it ends up being too much.
There was a lot of work that was spend in too many things that end up being just filler, specially the DLC'S that are to a certain point fun but yeat again don't bring nothing new of significance to the series. If all that work went into the story and the relationship of Ryo with the side characters and the martial arts training, we would have had a much better overhaul experience with Shenmue 3.
But I think we also have to keep in mind that all of this must have been a great challenge to Yu Suzuki.
I know he has a lot of experience, but coming from a 15 plus years away from the front line of the vídeo game industry and create a game to a fan crowd full of expectations and under the eye of a super competitive and sometimes toxic industry and at the same time live up to two games that revolutionized videogaming, with a small team mixed with experienced and unexperienced people and not to mention all the controversy and drama during its development, must have been a lot deal with.
I wonder if during this time he ever felt lost in the middle of all of this; at least I would have certainly felt that way.
But all in all I think that with all of this, he still managed to achieve the most important thing for us and that is that Shenmue 3 definitely feels like a Shenmue game. Considering all of this I am pleased and I'm enjoying the game for what it is.

Seems a bit illogical to think a game being lead into by Bailu Village in disc 4 and being there for half of Shenmue 3 was going to be gigantic and grand. If you simply looked without wild speculation Shen3 was always going to be slow and small, in addition to the confirmation from Suzuki himself of the game being subdued and inward.

Seems a bit illogical to think a game being lead into by Bailu Village in disc 4 and being there for half of Shenmue 3 was going to be gigantic and grand. If you simply looked without wild speculation Shen3 was always going to be slow and small, in addition to the confirmation from Suzuki himself of the game being subdued and inward.

This. 👏🏻
I totally agree.

I found the entirety of Bailu to be illogical. The whole experience in the village was nothing but poorly written and planned out game logic.

Back