What are you playing?

I just bought Stray and Hollow Knight finally. Both perty fun

Tomb Raider 1, 2, 3 - Remastered.

Hope Aspyr remaster 4 & 5 next. Played those the most on the Dreamcast.

Reactions: red
I am playing Final Fantasy Rebirth right now and so far ( I have come to chapter 4 ) I like it. It plays the same as the first part. The combat is fun and the atmosphere is also top-notch. The not-so-great part is that traveling between the dungeons takes way too much time without any interesting happening. That's a standard problem for all modern open-world games though.I cannot be too harsh on that part.

The graphics also have not improved at all. It lacks the next-gen (current-gen) feeling completely.

It still looks good though. After all the first part was not an ugly game at all. I also did not expect a massive graphical upgrade anyway.

I'm currently playing the remake of Super Mario Bros RPG on the Nintendo Switch.

I heard good things about this jrpg from friends, so I thought I should give it a go. So far, it's brilliant.

I finished Guardian Heroes a few times on my nephew's XBox Series model. I haven't played this classic since my Sega Saturn days.

Any fans of the LoH: Trails series here at all?

I'm in the process of finishing Trails From Zero in Nightmare difficulty.

I quite like the Crossbell Arc of this series. How about everyone else?

I’m a big fan of the Dragon Slayer series, and quite enjoyed the original Legend of Heroes and Legend of Heroes II (final boss of that one is an experience) on the Mega Drive. Without Yoshio Kiya, I find Falcom to be kind of dull, though. So I haven’t really played any later LoH games. About 10 years ago, I played maybe the first 20 minutes or so of the Saturn (Hudson) version of LoH III, the first Trails, and I think Zero no Kiseki (one of the trails offshoots on PSP; not sure which), but that’s about it.

I’m a big fan of the Dragon Slayer series, and quite enjoyed the original Legend of Heroes and Legend of Heroes II (final boss of that one is an experience) on the Mega Drive. Without Yoshio Kiya, I find Falcom to be kind of dull, though. So I haven’t really played any later LoH games. About 10 years ago, I played maybe the first 20 minutes or so of the Saturn (Hudson) version of LoH III, the first Trails, and I think Zero no Kiseki (one of the trails offshoots on PSP; not sure which), but that’s about it.

You sound more of a hardcore fan of Falcom than I am.

I never had the pleasure to play the early LoH games, which is indeed a spin off of Dragon Slayer.

Did you play them via emulation, or are you Japanese who understands English?

Any fans of the LoH: Trails series here at all?

I'm in the process of finishing Trails From Zero in Nightmare difficulty.

I quite like the Crossbell Arc of this series. How about everyone else?
Oh, don't get me started on Trails! I could go on about it for hours. Greatest RPG series of all time.

You sound more of a hardcore fan of Falcom than I am.

I never had the pleasure to play the early LoH games, which is indeed a spin off of Dragon Slayer.

Did you play them via emulation, or are you Japanese who understands English?
I don’t think I could say I’m a hardcore Falcom fan. I mainly just like looking back at Japanese games historically, and I’m a big fan Yoshio Kiya’s work because he’s wildly talented engineer, like YS, and functionally laid the groundwork for Zelda and Metroid with Dragon Slayer and Xanadu respectively.

By comparison, LoH 1 and 2 aren’t particularly revolutionary, though. They’re basically just a couple of solid JRPGs with a pretty good story in the first one, and one of the most butt-clenching final bosses ever in the second. I have both games in my physical Mega Drive collection, and played them that way. I’m not Japanese, but I’m proficient with the language.

One thing I do love about Falcom across almost all of their releases is their sound team, though. They’re Zuntata (Taito’s sound team) levels of excellent. Mega Drive versions of the LoH 2 final boss theme:

Out of curiosity which games in the series have you played? What got you to start playing them?

Been replaying Okami for maybe my 4th time? This time on Switch, best of both worlds with HD and motion controls for drawing. Have got almost everything I think now, but there’s one digging mini game and Blockhead Grande that I think I will just never be able to beat at this point. Almost at the end and appreciating more of the smaller details of the story and characterization as well as the pacing, which is nice. I used to find a lot of the last third pretty tedious, and it is much smaller and technically a lot of where the recycled content is, but I can understand better what the point is narratively of a lot of these design decisions now.

Also been replaying Sekiro. Both very similar but also very different games, but both serving as inspiration for my current project. Not nearly as far in this as I once was, I think probably it’s just far harder to get back into after so long, and definitely much harder than a game like Okami to begin with. Unfortunately part of it seems to be some poor optimization in one area where the game would keep lagging, against the guy at Hirata Estate that basically have to mikiri counter to beat. Had to put my settings on low to get a smoother experience. But to be honest, there doesn’t seem to be a huge difference in quality anyway.

Lastly I’ve been going back and forth between Senran Kagura Estival Versus on PC and Reflexions on Switch. I’d gotten the platinum for EV before actually, but been feeling nostalgic for it as my first game in the series, and hope it’ll help motivate me to beat some others I haven’t yet. As for Reflexions, I don’t recall whether I’ve actually got everything, probably weren’t all the DLC characters when I played it before. Even so seems like it’ll be far shorter, being a simple spinoff.

Sons_of_the_Forest_Early_Access_Review_7.0.jpg

Just finished playing Sons of the Forest with a buddy. If anyone is looking for a great co-op survival adventure game, this is the one to play. The AI enemies never seize to amaze you as they change behavior and tactics over time. One example would be seeing enemies crying over their dead companions you've just killed, being so devastating to them that they even forget about your presence in the area gor a while, which I have never seen in any other game. Very immersive game, highly recommended.

i'm playing dead island 2 via gamepass. i'm about half way through the game. it seems ok, at the moment i would give it 8/10.

i like mindless first person shooting games ( doom, wolfenstein etc) but as i've gotten older, i've found fps rpg type games harder to enjoy.

I am about to finish FF7 Rebirth and I started a test run for Alone in the Dark.

So far the game is a mixed bag. The PS5 version is quite buggy with missing sound in some parts of the game. There was an update today so maybe that critique is outdated.

The atmosphere of the title is very good. I also like the 1930s setting. The combat is the biggest weakness of the game as of now. The combat system is rather dull.It is hard to evade the enemy attacks.

i completed dead island 2. i would give it a 7.5 out of 10. its not a bad game, its got an ok story and some humour, its just not super exciting.. it's a bit like a less fun dead rising game. some of the boss fights are hard only because they are repetitive.. the game played ok on the xbox series s but some of the texture details were a bit crappy ( which is to be expected).. dead island 2 is worth playing if you got access to gamepass.

im now currently playing hi fi rush. i haven't got the hang of fighting to the beat yet lol

i ordered a copy of bomb rush cyberpunk (ps5). as a jet set radio fan im looking forward to playing it, soon... i've got a few more gamepass games to complete like the dead space remake.

I’m not Japanese, but I’m proficient with the language.

I played SS games in Japanese back in the 1990s. I still don't understand the language, haha.

I wish I can afford a tutor to inspire me to learn the language somewhat. That would be cool.

Rydeen said:
Out of curiosity which games in the series have you played? What got you to start playing them?

Upon happenstance, I purchased Trails of Cold Steel to see if it'll grab me. Lo and behold, it did. I've been a fan of Trails ever since, haha.

Ys I've been a fan of since the very early 1990s.

I played jrpgs since Phantasy Star III back in 1992. I like the gameplay mechanics and the storytelling method of that genre.

Back