What are you playing?

Yakuza 0, I played the first few hours today, and oh man does this game get off to a fast start. So this is 80s japan eh? Why do I always feel right at home in Kamurocho every time I come back to these games. I mean you could argue this area has been re-hashed and re-hashed and re-hashed through out the games, and yet some how it gets away with that and is still plenty nostalgic and familar every time you start playing it, but in this case Kamurocho is much more unfamiliar.

Yakuza is known for reminding people of present day tokyo and how the Yakuza operate, but I have a feeling that the nostalgia is even more for the older japanese people that were around during this time, everything looks so vintage and I bet there are a ton of easter eggs that only the japanese that lived there during the time will even understand.

Kiryu in his younger days is a treat, I know we got a small glimpse of it via flash backs in Yakuza 4, but I am definitely ready to see what awesomeness is to be had in this one. I am really hoping that they setup Yakuza 0 so that Kiwami 1 and 2 and the subsequent remasters of 3-5 can easily be played and enjoyed just fine after this one. Its a good day to be a Yakuza fan.

^^Much as I love Yakuza 0, I do have to say I was a bit disappointed with the atmosphere of the environments, personally. I mean, it does well in driving home the 80s setting during sub-quest stories and all that (the kid buying a videogame cartridge and talking about how he's going to read the manual on the way home, for example), but I thought the environments themselves could have used some work. The giant billboards and posters featuring obviously modern-style hosts and hostesses just murdered the sense that it was supposed to be in the 80s every time I'd walk by them. Nobody looked like that in 1988.
I think the game is fantastic, but at a certain point it just kind of ceases to matter that it's based in the 80s. Probably my only disappointment with the game.

Seems like they did a ton of research for it, maybe trying to implement the hostess stuff from that time was one area they couldnt get as much on or budget ran out. One of my biggest things is how dirty and grimey it looks, there are literally trash bags just laying in front of buildings, but it seems like the economy in this one is at an all time high, especially with all the money you are getting (bad guys just drop money when you hit them, you have to spend money to upgrade kazumas skills, weird choice) and the trees and weeds seem more out of control in a few areas and of course the absence of the millenium tower. I think the color palette and the clothes the civilians wear is pretty spot on though.

MgsV. but I have been playing Pang Adventure. I thought this was the same game based off of my youth from the good old arcade days. I like it but it doesn't have the level design of the old arcade one. Which kills the "vibe" for me.
I guess That's what happens when you get excited about things from Your yourh and don't do the research. Plus the limited copy print didn't help lol.

Last edited:
I’ve never cared less about an Uncharted game than with The Lost Legacy. The story is so uncompelling, the characters bland and the pacing is awful. Without the great gameplay and graphics it’s a complete dud.
If this writing is any indication of how uninspiring The Last of Us 2 will be then count me worried.
Amy Henning.. you clearly made a difference at Naughty Dog.

^^Well, to be fair, Hennig didn't work on either the original Last of Us or Uncharted 4, and the writing in both of those was great. Plus, The Lost Legacy was, if anything, just an expanded DLC for Uncharted 4 (haven't played it myself, but it certainly never struck me as the next main game in the series or anything), so it's probably not the best example to look at in guessing how Naughty Dog will be going forward. It's be like judging ND based on Jak X or something.
Neil Druckmann is plenty capable. I was worried about Uncharted 4's direction when it was announced that the guy who wrote The Last of Us would be taking over, but he proved himself with that. I wouldn't get too worried.

^^Well, to be fair, Hennig didn't work on either the original Last of Us or Uncharted 4, and the writing in both of those was great. Plus, The Lost Legacy was, if anything, just an expanded DLC for Uncharted 4 (haven't played it myself, but it certainly never struck me as the next main game in the series or anything), so it's probably not the best example to look at in guessing how Naughty Dog will be going forward. It's be like judging ND based on Jak X or something.
Neil Druckmann is plenty capable. I was worried about Uncharted 4's direction when it was announced that the guy who wrote The Last of Us would be taking over, but he proved himself with that. I wouldn't get too worried.
You're right Neil Druckmann writes TLOU, don't know why I confused that as I'm a big fan.
I'm pretty sure though Amy wrote atleast part of U4 because she left in the middle of it's development.
Either way ya, don't waste your time with The Lost Legacy. You'll never get that smirk on your face from a smart quip or any rush in an action sequence. The whole thing is a slog. I would actually find myself falling asleep mid-day while playing it. Even Golden Abyss on Vita was better than this.

Just finished the Resident Evil Remake for the first time, a terrible playtime (got stuck with a couple of the puzzles and have a terrible sense of direction when it comes to fixed camera angles) and 30 saves (I'm a chicken with very limited playtime) but I really enjoyed it.

jqTwau2.jpg

May try Chris next time I understand it's the more difficult campaign.

i never understood Why they didn't just continue making resident evil games like the gamecube remake, it has great gameplay and looks amazing. that's what the fans want. While I appreciate them remaking resident evil 2(it looks ok..).I really another Modern classic style RE with pre-rendered graphics.

I'm mopping up the achievements on Unravel and Sonic Generations (plus top speed times on my friends list) atm.

I'm doing the same with Titanfall as well, but also all the in game challenges. I've accepted I'll never get higher than platinum rank (more of a Gold V player), but I wanna be able to box it sll off before I start playing the sequel.

On top of that my current bite-sized game is Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space. I'm not a massive fan of the TT series (still to this day mourn the loss of Freelance Police), but it's worth it for Max's dialogue. The whole thing with Leonards cracks me up n'all.

The game I'm playin for the story though is Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I've wanted to start Assassin's Creed III for a while, but I've got this thing about playing snowy games round Christmas. Anyway I can't remember any of the story seeing as I last played Revelations five years ago, so I went back to the start with em.

Still got 200+ games in my backlog too thanks to Games With Gold.

i never understood Why they didn't just continue making resident evil games like the gamecube remake, it has great gameplay and looks amazing. that's what the fans want. While I appreciate them remaking resident evil 2(it looks ok..).I really another Modern classic style RE with pre-rendered graphics.
I too am a far of the fixed camera angles etc. but I'm not sure if it makes sense from a commercial point of view.

Sales of RE2 will probably be stronger with "over the shoulder" gameplay, it will appeal to modern gamers whilst veteran fans of the series will almost certainly buy it regardless of artistic direction. The total number of sales from these two different demographics is probably higher than what they'd see if they made a more faithful remake, that's my suspicion anyway.

eRknmRx.png

On the subject of RE I just went back to my last save and used the MO Discs to get the good ending, was bugging me that I hadn't been able to find the last terminal (one accessible through vents) first time around.

wlfvSfd.gif

Reactions: red
Currently, I'm playing Heavy Rain on PS3. I played the demo of Detroit: Become Human (before said game was out) and wanted to see what the company had made beyond it.

I have a backlog I had trouble keeping track of, so I developed a site that I use to maintain it among a few other things.

Right now, I'm blasting through Rise of the Tomb Raider, waiting for Shenmue obviously and I ordered Yakuza 0, which I'm going to play at some point, and Red Dead is coming soon! There are too many games!

As much flak as it gets, I'm really enjoying FIFA 18 Ultimate team, its ideal for short burst gaming with limited play time. Also playing through Mgsv again from scratch purely as a time kill for Shenmue. Tried getting into heavy rain again after I had it on PS3, couldn't get into it again.

Currently on my second playthrough of Persona 5 wondering if I'll ever get a 100 percent completion on the compendium.

I’ve been working on a 100% playthrough of Metroid Prime lately, complete with all scans. Still don’t love the game as much as the 2D metroids but I’m still excited for Prime 4 somehow regardless. I suppose I’ll move on to Prime 2 and 3 sometime as well, but I imagine I have plenty of time. I cheated a little bit and looked up which scans were missable, but I’ll find everything else on my own... or until I get bored/frustrated lol.

Recently re-aquired Elite beat agents for the original DS, I remember playing this back in 2006, saw it in a local ad on facebook and bought it on the cheap. A really fun rythm game using the stylus, it uses some pretty good songs, though they used covers because of expensive licensing I guess. It can be pretty hard if you're not into music games or got a bad feel for rythm (like me in 2006 because I broke my original Phat DS in half in a rage!).
here's a link to Yt:

Back