What are you playing?

One of the games I've been playing (and just finished) is Sleeping Dogs. I liked it, but so many plot threads go nowhere at all. It's as if they started writing some characters into the story, then got distracted by a fly and chased it round the room.

Sega Rally plays SO well; I really wish the game was more expansive, but it's also a ton of fun; 9/10 or so is what I'd give it.
For whatever reason, I've played more racing games on the Saturn than any other console. Sega Rally, both Daytonas, Nascar '98, Sonic R (I legitimately adore the soundtrack)... I think I even gave Manx TT Superbike a bit of playtime.

Playing the marvelous SegaSonic... or trying. It's certainly the most unplayable game I ever touched. How are you supposed to configure the input in MAME? Such a shame Sega barely tried to port the game.

What is this?

For whatever reason, I've played more racing games on the Saturn than any other console. Sega Rally, both Daytonas, Nascar '98, Sonic R (I legitimately adore the soundtrack)... I think I even gave Manx TT Superbike a bit of playtime.

I've had SonicR since 2015 and still haven't played it :$

I think it is the genre most-represented on my Saturn, as I have:

- Daytona
- Sonic R
- Wipeout 2097 (or whatever year lol)
- Gale Racer
- Sega Rally
- Shutoku Battle '97 (which is amazing, but I literally never get past the first opponent)
- Andretti Racing (don't play it; I should just beat it for my backlog and that's it; I hate the overrated Andrettis)
- Manx TT Superbike (LOVE IT)
- Road Rash (same as Andretti; terrible game, terrible series)

Feel like I'm missing something, but don't believe I am...

Judgment -- Chipping away slowly at that 100%. Mostly been gambling and playing VR courses to make money for gambling. Trying to get the free pass. I got three of them so far. Will probably take a backseat in two days when Yakuza 7 unlocks though. But yeah, still chipping away at side content. 73 hours and probably a little over half way done in terms of the Kamuro-Go list. Granted, most of those hours (besides story) were spent on fucking Puyo Puyo and that stupid challenge (never do that again RGG studios)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare -- I really don't feel like playing much in the way of narrative driven stuff at the moment, so I've been hanging out playing multiplayer in Modern Warfare. Sometimes go through moments like this. Where I just don't care about doing the narrative grind (if you will) and just want to play somewhat mindlessly. Call of Duty is a pretty standard go to for those moods. Sometimes you just want to get to the meat and bones of gameplay and not worry about long cut scenes and such.

I'll no doubt deep dive into Yakuza 7 this week once it unlocks. I bought it from the Japanese PSN store last week and am waiting for it to unlock. That will be my deep dive game for the next few weeks once it unlocks.

Last edited:
2019.png

So....I spent a LOT of time playing Virtua Figher 2 last year (apparently) (more likely that I left the PS3 on while VF2 was in attract mode for like 3 days straight...I mean I did play a fair bit of VF2 last year...but it wasn't THAT much :D)

Tekken 7 I believe considering I played a shit ton of Tekken 7 online last year.

Last edited:
About to begin Yakuza 6. Installed disc and 1.05 patch before leaving for some errands, now it is ready and waiting for me to boot straight into a new game for the evening.

Still debating if i'll play Yakuza 0 soon after or not. Leaning toward doing a reboot of games by release order; beginning with Yakuza on PS2. Most likely play Zero later when I've gotten around to grabbing old, marked down stock of both Kiwamis at Gamestop or Best Buy within the next few months.

Last edited:
I've actually been playing Death Stranding & I have to admit I'm really enjoying it!

I think the world building in the game is phenomenal with all the interesting concepts regarding how it process death and time and rain etc. I'm also very impressed with the open world nature for once, it's the first game I've played where the terrain actually feels relevant to the gameplay rather than acting as a map in between locations. It's also a game to where you really feel the progress you make through the development of tech you get & managing resources - I've had a blast building road routes, making traversing much more accessible and safer and making the game generally more accessible as a whole.

Combat has been very strange, earlier in the game the combat is very basic and lacks firearms but later in the game weapons are suddenly introduced and the enemies are suddenly massively re-enforced - It's just weird how that is suddenly universal, why wouldn't the enemies have them before? Luckily I raided a lot of their camps earlier for resources as I've found doing that now to be much more difficult.

The one feature I still don't like is the method of scanning the enemies. You'll press scan once and an enemy can appear for a few seconds, but then when you scan again it is gone but the threat is still there so I find the detection to be very inconsistent.

But overall I'm really enjoying the experience, which is a relief as I really wasn't sure if I was going to.

Last edited:
Tack on another 11-15 or so hours for 'mue III and then that's pretty accurate (I replayed 5 for the third time, for some trophy cleanup):

Screenshot_20200115-085457.png
Screenshot_20200115-085523.png

I find the Saturday evening thing REALLY weird, as my wife and I legitimately watch a movie every Saturday evening of the year, whether it is out at the theatre or in home (for example, we watched Bad Boys 2 Saturdays ago and Bad Boys II last Saturday, to prep us for Bad Boys For Life). Think it has to do with when we moved into our new house this year, where we didn't have anything setup yet.

BTW, these were the only 3 games I played all year :$

I have started PS4 Spider-Man, mabybe 20% into the campaign, and so far much better than any Arkham except Asylum

Ryu Ga Gotoku 7 -- Been playing for over 20 hours now. Up to chapter 7. This game is pretty damn good! I spent like an hour and a half just farming money from the investment (think something akin to the Cabaret club from Yakuza 0 mixed with the investment mini game also from Y0) mini game today alone. Seriously, it's basically Persona meets Yakuza...right down to the social links (I mean "friendships") with the rest of your party that you can engage in to further level everyone up...and I'm loving the hell out of it! Fantastic stuff through and through.

Replaying Shenmue 1 is fun
Shenmue 1 will for ever be my favourite game of all time.
The sense of time and place is unmatched.

I have started PS4 Spider-Man, mabybe 20% into the campaign, and so far much better than any Arkham except Asylum
I finished Spiderman ps4 the month it came out in 2018.
Made all the in game objectives and side objectives and all the trophies.
I only did it cause I was on my holidays. Requires some tenacity to do haha

Edit. I miss Sega games from the dreamcast time so much .
Their arcadiness was never matched again.

Got just about everything in Summer Sweetheart...was expecting a bit more for the amount of time sunk in but I guess itโ€™s a bit much for an almost bootleg amateur level game lol

Started up Breath of the Wild again...maybe Iโ€™ll try and do everything this time.

Over this month (emulation only):

Dreamcast
Exhibition of Speed: terrible racing game
Speed Devils: terrible racing game
90 minutes: terrible football game
Virtua Striker 2: great. Found a new and rare secret (the Royal Genki stadium)
Sega GT: great as I said in an older post.
Tokyo Highway Challenge: great. The time when Japan was still a (very) exotic country.
F355 Challenge: great and hard.
Metropolis Street Racer: great and very hard
Virtua Athlete 2K: great and fukkin hard
Toy Racer: I didn't know it was an only multiplayer game so no opinion

Naomi:
Cosmic Smash: great potential but I had to quickly abort my game since Demul struggles quite a bit.

PS2:
Smash Court Tennis: The dark Virtua Tennis by Namco so extremely fascinating. Short content but great game and lovely jazzy ambiance.

Gamecube:
NBA Courtside 2002: To remember Kobe. Like Iverson with NBA 2K, Bryant was the promotional icon of Nintendo's NBA Courtside. It was one of the very first games released on Gamecube. The game is pretty crap though.

PSOne:
Battle Arena Toshinden: Ellis is sex, boss Gaia is amazing. Hearing Bach on special stage is sex as well.
Tobal: great gameplay, designed by the main designer of Virtua Fighter 1. The game that introduced the "8-way" movement in VSF. Illustrated by the Dragon Ball's author.

Saturn:
Battle Arena Toshinden Remix: Terrible conversion but it has a nice CGI intro and a story mode. The dub is amazingly cheesy (more than Shenmue).

PSP:
Ridge Racer 2: great game and some fantastic music but too easy with a pad.

Sega 32X Arcade:
Dark Edge: you can say it's the very first 3D VS Fighting in terms of gameplay, also the 3D is illusive. Visually mind-blowing. Although not deep, the gameplay is nice to handle but the fireballs.
YOUTUBE VIDEO

Sega Model 2:
Sega Rally 1: Very good and still beautiful. I'm not saying great because I couldn't set up the FFB of my wheel correctly. When you come from Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally or Richard Burns Rally, it's difficult to going back.
Sega Touring Car: Couldn't set the controls right, even with a wheel sadly
Fighting Vipers: Great. Throwing people in the wall is very satisfying.
Last Bronx: Great. The hopeless Tokyo has a lot of charm.
Pilot Kids: A cute 2.5D shoot them up in a house, pretty much like Toy Commander.
Virtua Fighter 2: After Last Bronx and Fighting Vipers, it felt quite bland tbh. The game is damn hard.

Sega Model 3:
Lost World Jurassic Park: I heard people could play it with a wiimote so I quickly aborted my game until I find something more convenient than a mouse.

Last edited:
Over this month (emulation only):

Dreamcast
Speed Devils: terrible racing game
90 minutes: terrible football game

Bullshit.

Both are very good games, 90 minutes is about a 8-9/10 and Speed Devils is at minimum, a 7/10 game (I gave it 8).

It looks drab to death, but it is a VERY deep racing game and a ton of fun.

Anyways, I dabbled in Virtua Racing on the 32X, last night. May finish off the records tonight, tough game but it really is a great game.

Last edited:
I did read afterwards both games are/were very appreciated and 90 Minutes is deep (Dojo's drunkensailor on Youtube) but my experience was dreadful tbh.

Speed Devils races are too long for little value and overall it has zero interest today although a modern version would be amazing.

I will maybe give 90 Minutes a second chance someday. I think it's the auto-selection in defense that I couldn't get the logic right.

Back