What are you playing?

Need to finish the Shenmue III story DLC, then maybe make my way through the Yakuza series now that I got the remastered collection and already own the rest.

I also have Judgment, Shining Resonance Refrain, Sonic Mania Plus (already beat the base game), Valkyria Chronicles II on PSP, Valkyria Chronicles 4 DLC, and more in my backlog...plus I want to get the Super Monkey Ball remaster and Space Channel 5 VR. And new Shenmue III DLC will be here next week. Not enough time in the day.
Duuuuuude thank you so much, I didnt know there was a DLC of Valk 4. I finished it in September and now I realize they made a DLC with a lot of content in November, and I have the complete edition so I got them all.

I'm playing the first mission, with the crossover of Valk 1, I nearly shit my pants when they met :love::love::love::love::love:

Duuuuuude thank you so much, I didnt know there was a DLC of Valk 4. I finished it in September and now I realize they made a DLC with a lot of content in November, and I have the complete edition so I got them all.

I'm playing the first mission, with the crossover of Valk 1, I nearly shit my pants when they met :love::love::love::love::love:
You're welcome! It's good stuff so far, from what I've played. Though Welkin's English actor is different, and Rosie's. I think everyone else is the same, though.

i complete max payne 1 & 2 again for the first time in many years.

i really like the gun gameplay and surreal elements (ie the drugged / dream gameplay) but the story didnt make much sense. some areas i was thinking.. "hold on a second, other than killing people.. what am i doing here?" lol. while playing i couldnt help thinking i would love a 4th max payne game but i guess GTA does it better (they could of quite easily created a max payne DLC for GTA5).

i bought remedy's newest game, Control (2019) on ps4. so looking forward to that. next will be another stab at witcher 2 on the xbox360 (i lost momentum and stopped playing)

You're welcome! It's good stuff so far, from what I've played. Though Welkin's English actor is different, and Rosie's. I think everyone else is the same, though.
Yeah I realized Welkin's different but I got use to it, and I didn't notice about Rosie's voice, it was the same for me.

I can see why people get tired of assasins creed, it's the same shit over and over and over again (playing odyssey right now).
I think I'll just do the discover tour.

Yeah I realized Welkin's different but I got use to it, and I didn't notice about Rosie's voice, it was the same for me.
Hmm, maybe it is the same. Haven't played for a bit. Need to get back to it.

I can see why people get tired of assasins creed, it's the same shit over and over and over again (playing odyssey right now).
I think I'll just do the discover tour.
I played Odyssey, then played a bit of Origin and droped it because it was kinda the same. BUT you gotta admit that Greek buildings are awesome, so I recommend you to play it only because of that.

I beat Shenmue 3 last night for the second time and before that I beat Shenmue 1 and 2 so it'll be awhile before I play through the saga again. Thought I'd change it up and play an old game I've never beaten; Ristar for Genesis. I love the colors, music and designs. Controls are alittle awkward though.
1584906034562.jpg

DOOM Eternal -- RIP AND TEAR! (this game is pretty fucking good...so far)

Tekken 7-- Spent more time online while in this current state of lockdown that we're all in here in Aus.

I beat Shenmue III over the weekend, so I'm still digesting it. I want to hope into a replay to work on my collections, but I'm thinking about just heading back to Shenmue I for now. I was really hoping the RE 3 demo would come with a beta of the multiplayer so I could kill more time with that, but alas.

Animal Crossing is probably dominating my gaming time, but I'm enjoying PSO 2 on the Xbox (even though I'm more excited for the PC release).

With S3 done, I'm in a bit of that game-aimlessness that overtakes me after something I've waited for for a long time is actually in the past now.

Playing Metro Exodus right now. It's got some good bits and some bad bits.

Before that I replayed FEAR. Haven't played it since it released back on 360. It's got great firefights but the horror elements haven't aged well at all.

I haven't finished Shenmue 3 and don't know if I will.

I've been playing Yakuza 2, and not enjoying it at all. I'm on chapter 14, so almost finished, at least. I played the first game a couple years ago, and thought it was decent up until the ending, which was an abomination. Unfortunately the main thing I liked about the first game (Haruka) is mostly absent from this game, and that unruly insanity of the first game's ending seems to have been carried through into the majority of the sequel. I didn't even think I was going to play any more of the Yakuza games after the first one, because I didn't see a reason that it should have continued beyond the first game, but for some reason I did. Now I sort of wish I hadn't. It doesn't help that I always hated Kabukichou, and Kamurochou only really serves to remind me of that fact.

I've been playing Yakuza 2, and not enjoying it at all. I'm on chapter 14, so almost finished, at least. I played the first game a couple years ago, and thought it was decent up until the ending, which was an abomination. Unfortunately the main thing I liked about the first game (Haruka) is mostly absent from this game, and that unruly insanity of the first game's ending seems to have been carried through into the majority of the sequel. I didn't even think I was going to play any more of the Yakuza games after the first one, because I didn't see a reason that it should have continued beyond the first game, but for some reason I did. Now I sort of wish I hadn't. It doesn't help that I always hated Kabukichou, and Kamurochou only really serves to remind me of that fact.
Are you playing the originals or the Kiwami remakes?

Uh... no, it isn't.

You CAN not like it of course, that's 100% cool.

But the ending to 1 is superb and the tradeoff to a massive build up of plot is written fantastically; absolutely the farthest thing from an abomination and you are literally the first (and only) person I've ever seen with that take on the first game's plot.

If you want to see an abomination of writing, just wait until you beat the game you're currently on; THAT ending is absolutely written-terribly.

Anyways, the first two were written by crime novelist, Hase Seishu and while he got a lot of things correct in the first game, in terms of plot conventions and character motivations, he completely flipped the switch in 2 and made a clusterfuck of things (I'll admit as well, that not having Haruka for a lot of 2, bothered me as well).

Therefore, if you have a PS3 (or PS4 and are willing to get the remasters, which would probably be a better bet at this point), I would suggest giving 3 a try, as it is better than both the first and second games (by a pretty-solid margin), it has nothing to do with Seishu (written by longtime series writer/producer, Yokoyama), which means the characters revert back to their attitudes/motivations from the first game (and how they kept their attitudes until now, the 7th game) and most-importantly, for your specific tastes, at least 50% of the game takes place in Okinawa AND 3 is the game where Haruka appears the most AND is involved with the plot the most (after 5).

So yeah, for those reasons, I'd give it a shot; the gameplay gets a sharp uptick as well and 3 is the first game in the series that proved the series was in, "Elite Franchise," territory. If that doesn't maintain whatever interest you have left in the series, then it's truly not for you.

If you speak Japanese as well, Kenzan! for the PS3 is quite good and has a lot of Haruka in it (but it is a completely-different type of game). Same goes for Ishin! and while there is a lot of Haruka again, she actually doesn't factor into the plot, at all.

If you like a lot of Haruka and don't like Kamurocho, then 4 wouldn't be the best game for you either, as the entirety of the game takes place there and, like 2, she has very-little to do with the plot. 0 takes place years before Haruka is born and has a 50/50 split with Kamurocho and Sotenbori, so not sure if that works either. Both are good games (0 is top 5 in the series), but if they don't have what you're looking for...

5 and 6 on the other hand, both feature her a ton and have multiple locations.

5 you actually play as her for a good part of the game and only the final 4 chapters (of 21), take place in Kamurocho. The rest of the locations are in Nagoya, Sapporo, Sotenbori (which I'm not a huge fan of lol) and Fukuoka.

6 has a 50% of the game take place in Hiroshima and Haruka is the centerpiece of the plot... and it is a PHENOMENAL plot that a shit-ton of people didn't understand at all.

So yeah, with the flashback/recap options and all that, it may be most-worthwhile for you to skip the ones that feature less Haruka (and more Kamurocho) and give the others a shot. Up to you!

Uh... no, it isn't.
Um, yeah. It is. It's totally contrived, and ridiculous. There's an absurd amount of hollow exposition, scrambling to try to piece everything together for viewer convenience. It's like being clubbed over the head with weaponized dialogue. Kiryu immediately resolving to sort out his differences with Nishiki through violence hurts any sort of redemption theme (about the only thing I was holding out hope for in an otherwise middling story) in their respective arcs, and Kiryu never asking about Nishiki's sister is a real problem; that she's basically forgotten after the beginning of the game is even worse. These are all travesties, but they're common in pulp media, so I basically accept it. The thing that lowers the ending to absurdist drama, above all else, is Nishiki with the gun, and the explosion. It's played purely to give Nishiki a 'cool' moment, and makes zero actual sense, but it happens so quickly, I imagine many are fooled by the illusion.

It's not a problem for me at all if you like it. It tarnished an otherwise mildly enjoyable story for me, though.

If you want to see an abomination of writing, just wait until you beat the game you're currently on; THAT ending is absolutely written-terribly.
I can't argue at all with this. The sequel was 1000% worse.

Therefore, if you have a PS3 (or PS4 and are willing to get the remasters, which would probably be a better bet at this point), I would suggest giving 3 a try, as it is better than both the first and second games (by a pretty-solid margin), it has nothing to do with Seishu (written by longtime series writer/producer, Yokoyama), which means the characters revert back to their attitudes/motivations from the first game (and how they kept their attitudes until now, the 7th game) and most-importantly, for your specific tastes, at least 50% of the game takes place in Okinawa AND 3 is the game where Haruka appears the most AND is involved with the plot the most (after 5).
I don't necessarily want more Haruka, just for the sake of Haruka. A lot of what I liked her for was her dynamic with Kiryu. I've owned the first three RGGs for years, and I partly started playing the second game recently with the intention of following it up with 3. I will potentially continue with that one, just to finish what I have--I actually have Kiwami on Steam, but I hate Majima, so I doubt that will do much for me. I honestly don't think the series is for me, and I don't necessarily want to continue beyond the third game, because I hate gratuitous violence. I hate to even bring up any sort of comparison, but thematically this series seems like the polar opposite of Shenmue. By that I mean, it emphasizes violence for the sake of violence, glorifies organized crime, and just generally presents bad themes; "bad," as in morally bankrupt.

I might try Kenzan, or Ishin at some point, regardless. I can potentially forgive some bad morality, and such, if it has some level of historical accuracy. The brief description of 6 sounds intriguing, as well. Also I thought it was pretty wild that Oguri Shun, and Beat Takeshi are in it. I'll think about it

Um, yeah. It is. It's totally contrived, and ridiculous. There's an absurd amount of hollow exposition, scrambling to try to piece everything together for viewer convenience. It's like being clubbed over the head with weaponized dialogue. Kiryu immediately resolving to sort out his differences with Nishiki through violence hurts any sort of redemption theme (about the only thing I was holding out hope for in an otherwise middling story) in their respective arcs, and Kiryu never asking about Nishiki's sister is a real problem; that she's basically forgotten after the beginning of the game is even worse. These are all travesties, but they're common in pulp media, so I basically accept it. The thing that lowers the ending to absurdist drama, above all else, is Nishiki with the gun, and the explosion. It's played purely to give Nishiki a 'cool' moment, and makes zero actual sense, but it happens so quickly, I imagine many are fooled by the illusion.

It's not a problem for me at all if you like it. It tarnished an otherwise mildly enjoyable story for me, though.

I can't argue at all with this. The sequel was 1000% worse.

I don't necessarily want more Haruka, just for the sake of Haruka. A lot of what I liked her for was her dynamic with Kiryu. I've owned the first three RGGs for years, and I partly started playing the second game recently with the intention of following it up with 3. I will potentially continue with that one, just to finish what I have--I actually have Kiwami on Steam, but I hate Majima, so I doubt that will do much for me. I honestly don't think the series is for me, and I don't necessarily want to continue beyond the third game, because I hate gratuitous violence. I hate to even bring up any sort of comparison, but thematically this series seems like the polar opposite of Shenmue. By that I mean, it emphasizes violence for the sake of violence, glorifies organized crime, and just generally presents bad themes; "bad," as in morally bankrupt.

I might try Kenzan, or Ishin at some point, regardless. I can potentially forgive some bad morality, and such, if it has some level of historical accuracy. The brief description of 6 sounds intriguing, as well. Also I thought it was pretty wild that Oguri Shun, and Beat Takeshi are in it. I'll think about it
As you said it really does sound Yakuza is not for you. And most of them have the soap opera ending like with the exposition, motivitation and "twists" Yakuza 6 bein one of the worst offenders in that regard.

I would honestly advise you against the series as if you have not enjoyed the first one, nor Majima (he is a fan favourite so he tends to apper a lot in some of the fames) or glorified violence it is unlikely that you are gonna enjoy other parts of the series.

PD: to me yakuza 1, 3 and 0 are the ones that plotwise are more grounded and less "silly" for the sake of final twists.

Back