What are you playing?

Deadly Premonition (Switch) — I finally got around to buying and starting the original Deadly Premonition. Man, this game sure is something (meant in a good way)

Ghost of Tsushima - Downloaded it last night. Haven’t played much past the intro. But damn, I’m impressed so far. What a beautiful looking PS4 swan song. Those grassy fields blowing in the wind sure do look good. Can’t wait to see this shit with a Enhancement patch on PS5

The Order: 1886 has been on my radar since it was announced, primarily because of its graphics. The generally poor reviews however put me off until I noticed that it was on the PlayStation Store for £8.74. I reckon I completed it in under 7 hours and will personally score it a 7/10.

Pros

The graphics are amazing, so much so I got caught out at times because I never noticed the transition from a cut scene to gameplay. Additionally, the setting was very unique and though there is too much of a story, the premise worked well for me and it would be something that I would like to see more off. Another thing I did appreciate was the stealth kills QTE. When you approach an enemy from behind you have to time when to press the button which I felt added a touch more involement than simply pressing a button.

Cons

Being such a good looking game I guess comes with its downsides. Gameplay feels a bit too scripted at times and combat stiff. Quite a few unnecessary gameplay sections which feels shoved in to extend the gameplay by a previous few minutes. With that said, don't see how this can't be fixed and still keep the amazing graphics.

Conclusion

In general I liked the game and it was worth the £8.74 I paid for it. I honestly feel Sony could have a AAA game and big seller if this was polished up and improved upon. It would be similar to a Gears of War. What I would change:

• Better feeling of impact when shooting enemies
  • At least two player co-op if not four.
  • Able to listen to audio tapes whilst on the move
  • Improvement to the general gameplay

I’m having a really good time with Ghosts of Tsushima. I didn’t realize it, but I’ve actually been playing it all day long. I really wanted to play it with the Japanese voice overs, but I couldn’t look past the lack of lip syncing. I love the combat and the atmosphere is gorgeous, but I don’t like some of the basic animation work. The main dude slides up and down staircases like this is a game from a different console generation.

jet set radio future (xbox 360)

im determined to complete it this time lol

Are the controls any better on the sequel? I found that the janky controls of the original to be a problem.

I'm playing Beyond Good & Evil for the 1st time. I can see why it has a cult following, it's a very charming game world but while I like the exploration and characters the actually gameplay is hit & miss for me - espcially the moments when if you're caught a laser gun zaps you to death instantly.

Ghost of Tsushima — or I should say I WAS playing Ghost of Tsushima, until my PS4 Pro disc drive suddenly decided to stop recognising all discs I put into it. I think the disc drive in my PS4 may be dead :(

I did double dip with this. I have a digital copy waiting to be downloaded but the problem is the house I’m in doesn’t have internet. The phone lines haven’t been finished properly being connected and I’m waiting for an electrician to come and do the job which could be another two weeks thanks to fucking CoVid. So I had no internet outside of my phone (which I refuse to use for such a download) and really wanted to play it so I decided to double dip and buy a physical copy on the side.

Now my PS4 Pro drive is suddenly not reading discs. Leaving me fucked in terms of continuing Tsushima.

I got to tell you. I’ve kind of hit my breaking point with physical media. Between my Saturn CD drive dying (that I expected given its age) and now my PS4 drive seemingly dying (even my PS3 slim drive is still kicking...yet my PS4 pro is dead?) I think I’m ready to kick the curb with physical and go full digital next gen.

Now I’m left thinking. Do I buy another PS4 pro and burn money? Or do I just sell all my physical games and rebuy them digitally? I was already rebuying a lot of stuff digitally during those sale periods earlier in the year so do I finally give up on physical and rebuy digitally once the internet does get reconnected?

but yeah, PS5...I think I might go full digital and finally say farewell to shitty CD drives once and for all.

DVD/Blu Ray takes up space and still requires massive downloads/patches. Def. over it, unless it's a special game I want to hold on to *Shenmue*.

Are the controls any better on the sequel? I found that the janky controls of the original to be a problem.

yes i would say the controls are better. the right analogue stick is not used but would of been great (like modern games) if you could control a free camera.

the main problem with jsrf is that its easy to get lost & sometimes finding your next graffiti tag location is hard. - probably best played on a xbox original console rather than a 360 as there is some horrific slowdown when there is lots of Npc background characters on screen.. i dont really understand why sega never re-released it and made a 3rd game.

ive owned 3 copies of this game since the very early 2000s. i love it and have gotten close to completing it several times but i have either been going through a faze where by i feel gaming is a waste of time or new games have taken priority.o_O

I would consider Ghost of Tsushima but so far it seems like a game I would be fine with just watching someone else play. I know it’s just my own particular bias but I can’t help but compare to Sekiro in terms of combat, and this one just doesn’t look as engaging to me. Obviously very different games from the ground up but maybe I’m just tired of this kind of game.

Might be interested in trying the Crysis remaster next. Played some years ago as I think a free 360 game? Can’t recall if it was part of that program. Got a few levels in but remember it feeling quite a bit more challenging than Far Cry 3. Maybe I’d like that kind of difficulty now.

I would consider Ghost of Tsushima but so far it seems like a game I would be fine with just watching someone else play. I know it’s just my own particular bias but I can’t help but compare to Sekiro in terms of combat, and this one just doesn’t look as engaging to me. Obviously very different games from the ground up but maybe I’m just tired of this kind of game.

Might be interested in trying the Crysis remaster next. Played some years ago as I think a free 360 game? Can’t recall if it was part of that program. Got a few levels in but remember it feeling quite a bit more challenging than Far Cry 3. Maybe I’d like that kind of difficulty now.

It’s definitely not Sekiro or Nioh levels of depth, but to be fair, it’s not trying to be. It’s more aiming for somewhere between Batman levels of combat. Its fun and satisfying when it lands but not without its flaws. The combat is probably the weakest part of the game for me just because it’s prone to cheap tactics from the AI. They’ll usually swarm you and then while you’re dealing with one enemy in particular another will jab you from behind when vulnerable to attack and it does sometimes result in some very cheap deaths. Also, no lock on really hurts the camera in combat. You’re always having to re position the camera and that too has led to some cheap deaths. Game could have maybe benefited from a lock on mechanic.

Still, it’s not terrible either. When it lands the combat does feel really damn satisfying. But it definitely isn‘t on the level of Sekiro but for what it is, it’s not terrible. It’s serviceable but can be really satisfying at other times.

The main draw of that game for me is not the combat rather the island itself, the island is beautiful to explore. Be it following birds to shrines. Following a set of Torii Gates or just getting lost in the world exploring. The exploration factor has been the best part of the game for me so far. The game is stunning to look at and I just love exploring that world.

Decided to go with something a bit cheaper for now, considering I’ve got bills and not many hours. Certain games may just have to wait, especially with the chance of Yakuza 7, NMH3, and the Nier remake coming by the end of the year. Kind of doubtful but I’m hoping at least.

So after a brief look I went with this cheap 2D action RPG called Cross Code. So far, a couple hours in, it’s not exactly what I expected, but it seems pretty good. Just not as much customization as I thought there might be as far as the main characters’ looks go. Everything else seems like there will be room for a lot of depth to upgrades and combat and such. Combat felt like it might be too easy at first but there’s a lot here.

Stylistically, the conversations kind of remind me of Cave Story or even Dusk: An Elysian Tale. Some of the music had me thinking Mother 3. Spritework almost seemed like a mix of Chrono Trigger and Legacy of Goku 2 with how detailed the environments are and how the animation flows so smoothly.

Only real negative so far is how much handholding there is. Hoping as I get into the game proper that it will kind of let me do my own stuff. Kind of something that I didn’t like so much about the Trials of Mana remake some months ago.

I played through Wonder Boy in Monster World and am nearing the end of Monster World IV. They're both very good games, and it would have been nice to see the Monster World series carry on to the Saturn (but what else is new?).

They get described as "metroid-vania" type games, but they're a bit simpler in level layouts and character building. It's not necessarily a bad thing, and it's kind of nice to play one of those types of games where you're not overwhelmed with memorizing insanely complicated levels, or constantly managing inventory. That being said, I think they could have added a few more weapon options and moves, and trickle in a few more RPG elements without making the game too overwhelming.

Completed FFVIIR will go back to it for chapter select and to complete platinum. But right now going to look for a backlog game to play.

Uncharted The Lost Legacy. It's actually fairly decent to my surprise after playing the other ones with Drake.

I decided to upgrade the HDD in my spider man ps4 pro to 2TB and after doing so I did something I installed a bunch of games physical and digital. One of the physical I am playing right now is Spider-Man which I never touch and having a blast I downloaded the redeemable vouch the game comes with etc for the free bonuses.

other than that I may go back to greedfall and assassins creed odyssey. So currently rotating between those two soon after I have had my fill of Spider-Man.

Last edited:
- Destroy All Humans! Remake
- Rocket Arena

Back