What are you playing?

I played that a few months ago for the first time in years! How did you like it? I think it's one of the best.
My playtime was probably longer than yours. I like to take my time.
Really enjoyed (as much as I can whilst playing a horror game...) it. Will definitely be playing another run in the future with Chris.

i just completed the main story on jet set radio future. the last level is a acid trip o_O

i have some little complaints about the game but over all, it's is still great a great game and the art style hasn't aged that much. graphicly i think it could pass as a new switch game. i would give it 8/10

im not a completionist but if i was, i could spend another 10/15+ hours trying to collect all the extra items
JSRF is one of my favorite games of all time! I still wish that a new JSR will becom a reality. Glad to hear that you liked it as well! Its one of those unique one-of-a-kind games. I started with the DC-version and fell in love with it.
So colorful and the music was (and still) is great.

JSRF is one of my favorite games of all time! I still wish that a new JSR will becom a reality. Glad to hear that you liked it as well! Its one of those unique one-of-a-kind games. I started with the DC-version and fell in love with it.
So colorful and the music was (and still) is great.

one of the things i loved from the first game which was missing from the second was the more creative graffiti tagging.. ie where you use a thumb stick to imput different motions rather than using just the right trigger button.

i think if they were to have the more creative tagging, it could of made the boss fights better. also going forward, i hope any new jsr style games allow you to upload images from the internet / hard drive to use ingame as graffiti ( making graffiti tags using their paint program in jsrf is terrible)

Seems its that or runs amazing. So yoh migt be lucky or unlucky.
Mixed opinion on steam, and a lot of "recommended" are "GREAT game, crashes tho... BUT STILL GREAT GAME". So no it isnt, it's a poor port for everybody. It's just divided in 2:
1) Crashes + low fps and stutering
2) Crashes

I'm in the 2).

I'm telling you, I'm waiting for this port till this game came out on ps4 so it's not like I have anything against it, and I'm not a demanding player at all that sees "oh, drop 2 fps during half a second, I'll refound it this is unplayable". So if the port it's not awesome I wont care, I can live with it. But literaly my last 2 hours were actually 15 minutes of gameplay because always crashes and I cant move on with the game. It's maddening

I was playing Moving Out but got frustrated and deleted it. Just not having a fun time unlike with Overcooked. The game can be quite glitchy at times being so physics based. On top many occasions our characters would get stuck or object getting tangled in windows etc. My brother and I gave it one last hurrah but on two occasions our characters got stuck so I cut my losses and deleted it.

Now moved on to Streets of Rage 4 and so far so bloody amazing.

While I've played them before, I never actually got to sit down and really get into the Shinobi games on Genesis (*ducks*), but I have remedied that!

Revenge of Shinobi - The toughest of the bunch (IMO) and feels a bit more old school where you need to rely on a lot of memorization and have a sequence of movements planned out in each stage. Perhaps there was a bit too much of a "trial and error -> memorize level -> execute movements" loop for my tastes but that's a bit nitpicky. It is indeed a great game and the difficulty was satisfying instead of overly frustrating, if that makes sense.

Shinobi III - I'm not sure there's much more I can say that hasn't been said before, but when you can play a game that's almost 30 years old and still come away impressed I think it speaks for the quality of the game. A top 10 if not top 5 Genesis game.

Shadow Dancer - I know it's not a port of the arcade game of the same name, but this definitely feels arcade influenced. I actually didn't like this game as much as the others and probably wouldn't replay this. Your attacks and movements are limited, there's not much platforming, and the 1 hit deaths led to what felt like a lot of cheap deaths.

It too is the one major series where I've played little to nothing of, of Sega from their console era (literally, only 10 minutes or so of Revenge and while it is indeed a good game, I can't stand it lol).

I did watch 2 playthroughs about 7 years ago of III and it is a phenomenal title, so I went out and bought it (but still haven't gotten around to playing it). Best game in the series bar none.

While I've played them before, I never actually got to sit down and really get into the Shinobi games on Genesis (*ducks*), but I have remedied that!

Revenge of Shinobi - The toughest of the bunch (IMO) and feels a bit more old school where you need to rely on a lot of memorization and have a sequence of movements planned out in each stage. Perhaps there was a bit too much of a "trial and error -> memorize level -> execute movements" loop for my tastes but that's a bit nitpicky. It is indeed a great game and the difficulty was satisfying instead of overly frustrating, if that makes sense.

Shinobi III - I'm not sure there's much more I can say that hasn't been said before, but when you can play a game that's almost 30 years old and still come away impressed I think it speaks for the quality of the game. A top 10 if not top 5 Genesis game.

Shadow Dancer - I know it's not a port of the arcade game of the same name, but this definitely feels arcade influenced. I actually didn't like this game as much as the others and probably wouldn't replay this. Your attacks and movements are limited, there's not much platforming, and the 1 hit deaths led to what felt like a lot of cheap deaths.
I had only really played the PS2 Shinobi game growing up. A couple years ago I also played through all three of these games, and felt pretty similarly about them. RoS I found pretty borderline in terms of being overly frustrating, though. Some of the jumps (Chinatown) and things were pretty infuriating. It is a good game, once performing the double jump starts to feel more comfortable. Do you know what revision you played?

I was floored by Shinobi III. I've had the game for a while, and played the first few levels a few times, but once I played it for real, I got to see the tremendous heights it soared to (somewhat literally). It's probably in my top 5 on the Genesis, also, but it's tough when there are so many excellent games on the console. Definitely one of the best games of that era. Everything that was remotely an issue in RoS was fixed in Shinobi III, I feel.

I definitely didn't like Shadow Dancer as much as the other two (although it and RoS might be fairly close). I did think it was kind of enjoyable, most times, though. I nearly gave up on the final boss a few times, just because of how perfect it basically requires the player to be. That final boss ate up most of my playtime.

If you haven't played Shinobi X/Shinobi Legions/Shin Shinobiden on the Saturn, don't. It's a pretty big drop in quality from Shinobi III, even though the moveset is expanded slightly. I stopped at Chinatown in Shin Shinobiden, because the levels are a lot more like RoS. Also, I don't really understand how it's possible to beat the boss of that stage. I think there's actually a level select code in the game, but I pretty much refuse to use things like that.

I also revisited PS2 Shinobi after that, because I had never actually beaten it. If you're looking for controller throwing frustration in the final few stages, then you might want to play it. If not, I would skip it. 18 years ago, I really liked the dashing and slashing mechanics, but they're barely functional for the latter half of the game.

Got around to the Bergen mines dungeon in CrossCode and finally managed to get stuck. Though it’s not so much not knowing what to do but rather dealing with icy floor physics and ice pillars that near instantaneously regenerate...very annoying.

Started the Executioner. Not much in the first hour or so but for once the tutorial at least seemed to be engaging and import to the story. For what it’s worth it seems pretty will written for something not in their language.

Decided to try Dex out. Seemingly Deus Ex in 2D but a lot clunkier. I’m not sure it’s balanced anywhere near as well but I’ll keep at it for now.

I had only really played the PS2 Shinobi game growing up. A couple years ago I also played through all three of these games, and felt pretty similarly about them. RoS I found pretty borderline in terms of being overly frustrating, though. Some of the jumps (Chinatown) and things were pretty infuriating. It is a good game, once performing the double jump starts to feel more comfortable. Do you know what revision you played?

I believe it was 1.01 because of the boss fights:

I fought Arnold, Spiderman, and Godzilla, but instead of Batman I fought a demon bat guy. I also think the flamethrower guys were generic soldiers and not Rambo. I'll see if I can find 1.00 and all its copyright infringement glory!

Agreed about the double jump. The timing did get me killed a few times, but on that jump you're talking about I think I was lucky to have missed it only twice. I had to actually practice it in Shinobi III because of the falling rock level. In my first playthrough I burned through all of my continues to a game over, so I must have died almost 10-15 times due to missing jumps. Once I got the hang of it I hardly missed the double jumps, but it is frustrating that there's only a small window where the double jump is available to trigger.

I'm curious to check out Shinobi on PS2. I remember it came out around the time of the Ninja Gaiden reboot, but since I only had Xbox at that time I ended up playing that instead. Shinobi is actually up on PSN for $10. These games may have given me a few ideas for topics to post here as well. ;)

Back