What are you playing?

Impressive! I've been loving the heck out of THPS 1+2; been making my way through it slowly. I've almost 100%'d the goals in THPS1 and can't wait to hit THPS2. The sequel's still one of my GOATs.

Don't think I'll go for the challenges, though...this is the first time I've played a THPS in ~20 years and I sucked when I first started, despite being an absolute demon back then. It's slowly but surely coming back to me. I never played much beyond 2...played a little bit of 3, so even the revert feels like a "new" thing to me.

Thanks

The Get There Challenge for School II broke me. I was trying to go for the Platinum but I can't for the love of me do that challenge. It's really hard! You basically have to grind all three Rail Call grinds and the gap out the front of the school hall in one combo. I for the love of me can't do it. I can get the first three gaps needed but I can't make it to that last role call grind for the life of me. I just either lose momentum on the grind or manual or get hit by the stupid rent a cop somewhere along the line.

So yeah, the Get There challenges ultimately killed any lust I had to go for the platinum thanks to that one challenge.

But other than that, I love the game too. I played a shit ton of 2 and 3 back in the day, so I grew very custom to the revert and manual in terms of pulling huge combos. In my heyday, I could do 1.5 or 2 million combos with relative ease in THPS3. I was that dialled into 3.

I loved 2 and 3 that much back in the day. 4 was fun but I think fatigue started to set in for me after 4. But yeah, I loved 2 and 3 and would easily put 3 in my top ten of all time.

Last edited:
Was 3 on PS2? I didn't own a PS2 until God of War 2 came out, when the Slim was like $99 or something ridiculously cheap like that. I did the same with GameCube. $99 from Target.

I played a lot of Dave Mirra BMX as well on Dreamcast :p Never felt as tight as Tony Hawk but solid nonetheless, and a great soundtrack.

Was 3 on PS2? I didn't own a PS2 until God of War 2 came out, when the Slim was like $99 or something ridiculously cheap like that. I did the same with GameCube. $99 from Target.

I played a lot of Dave Mirra BMX as well on Dreamcast :p Never felt as tight as Tony Hawk but solid nonetheless, and a great soundtrack.

Yeah 3 was PS2. I bought mine the year MGS2, GTA 3 and THPS3 came out. First console I ever bought with money of my own from a part time job I had at the time.

I loved THPS2 on GBA. I stopped paying attention to THPS during the PS2 era but later bought Downhill Jam for DS.

I thought all the console games post-4 were supposed to be pretty crap, but apparently people liked Underground because there seems to be a bunch of (mostly younger) people who think Underground is better than 2 and 3.

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

Three fucking nights I've been trying to do this challenge on and off! I finally got it! We're still in this hunt for the Platinum Trophy!

God damn, I never want to do that line again! I was literally ready to dance around the room after nailing it!

I loved THPS2 on GBA. I stopped paying attention to THPS during the PS2 era but later bought Downhill Jam for DS.

I thought all the console games post-4 were supposed to be pretty crap, but apparently people liked Underground because there seems to be a bunch of (mostly younger) people who think Underground is better than 2 and 3.

Underground wasn't bad. Underground 2 was more Jackass than Tony Hawk but still okay. American Skateland was okay but running out of steam. Project 8 wasn't bad either. It tried some new things but around that time Skate came out and Skate was just vastly more interesting with the way it used the Analog sticks for its trick system. Tony Hawk was still good at that point, just played out.

The core gameplay in those games were always good but yeah, how much can you really do with a Skateboard in a yearly franchise?

The series really started to go downhill with the the Guitar Hero-like peripheral games. RIDE was the beginning of the end (that stupid ass Guitar Hero-like Skateboard device that no one wanted -- the era of plastic peripherals littering our living rooms).

Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD was trying to return the series to its roots but the physics felt completely off. You could tell as soon as you picked up the controller that it just didn't feel right to play. THPS5 was the drizzling shits.

Honestly, it was just diminishing returns.

After 3 and 4 kinda completed fully fleshing out the trick system, there just wasn't much else they could do with it year in-year out but of course, Activision needed their yearly dose and just continued to milk the franchise for all its worth.

It was really just the same thing that happened to Guitar Hero. They milked it so much to the point where people lost interest year after year.

Last edited:
Aside from THPS2, the first Underground wasthe best THPS ever. THPS3 was also great, although the updated engine didn't feel quite as nice and I was jealous N64 got a port, but Dreamcast didn't :mad:

Aside from THPS2, the first Underground wasthe best THPS ever. THPS3 was also great, although the updated engine didn't feel quite as nice and I was jealous N64 got a port, but Dreamcast didn't :mad:

Yeah, shame about the lack of Dreamcast Port. Just too late I guess. But man, did I play the hell out of THPS2 on the Dreamcast. Best version of that game in my opinion.

I just watched a "History of THPS" video on YT and I guess I completely forgot they made PS1 versions of 3 and 4, although it triggered my memory when I saw them.

Poor Dreamcast. It probably would've ended up with a port of the PS1 version of 3 anyway :hmm:

2 was definitely best on the DC and 2 on GBA was VERY well-done; I was surprised at its quality, back 18 years ago or so.

1 is still my favourite (mainly due to the music and simplicity), but 2 is beyond-awesome as well; I haven't lost a beat at the game either, still as good at it as I've always been ;)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1, 2, 3 and Underground 1 were all great in their own way and give each other a run for their money. THPS 4 was good but the franchise was losing steam, Underground 2 was ok but a sign that the franchise needed to evolve, which sadly it didn't, at least not for the better. Everything after that was either below average or bad, especially Downhill Jam and THPS 5.

Still in this hunt for the Platinum Trophy. 4 more Hard Get There's left to go.

I have unfortunately been playing nothing, pretty much...why I should even be covering the same full time employees’ two week vacations multiple times a year, when management throws a fit when I ask for a couple unpaid days weeks in advance, is beyond me...especially after telling them in clear terms I don’t want to lose the only medical insurance I can afford by going over too many hours. Why I’m hoping to move away from retail entirely when I move.

Maybe the week after next I can use my earned holiday hours to get some gaming in before I have to pack it all up. But even then I have no idea what I actually want to play right now.

Three to go!

EDIT:

Make that Two Challenges to go!

(these Hard Get There's are a REAL pain in the ass...they may look easy in these videos but actually pulling them off has been a pain in the ass at times...one of the harder platinum's I've done in a while)

Last edited:
Marvels avengers currrntly slowly playing campaign not in a rush for trophies and completion since Spider-Man... but hoping to go back to that too... other than that waiting on Genshin impact to release and aegis rim.

Super Mario 3D All Stars! :love:

I bought it as well. I'm a dirty hypocrite considering I was complaining about it being a remaster and not remakes but yet I still bought it.

Admission time; I've actually never beaten Mario 64 and never finished Mario Sunshine...It's true. I've maybe played one or two courses of Mario 64 but never actually played it through to completion. Sunshine I remember liking but just never finished.

Never had a Nintendo 64 so never played through Mario 64 back in the day. Had a Gamecube and that was where I first played Sunshine but never beat it.

Galaxy I liked a lot though. Galaxy I played through to completion.

With Mario, I've only ever beaten the first game, New Super Mario Bros for the DS, Super Mario 3D Land (I actually really do love that game and got all the stars for it), Galaxy and Odyssey.

Played the others, but never beaten them. I figure I might play through 64 on the Switch Lite and actually beat it for a change.

Part of that whole growing up a SEGA kid thing :D No time for Mario, I had SEGA franchises to play.

Last edited:
Back